Over 70s isolation

CLAN1

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

One thing I have learnt by reading this thread is that people actually buy that bloody awful unusable long life milk!! 

These people don't. If we want to ensure that we have milk in stock (e.g. when returning home from a holiday) we buy a (plastic) bottle of fresh milk and freeze it. It seems to have a long life that way.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

These people don't. If we want to ensure that we have milk in stock (e.g. when returning home from a holiday) we buy a (plastic) bottle of fresh milk and freeze it. It seems to have a long life that way.

That's exactly what we do. We also do the same with bread so we always have a loaf handy for emergencies. 

Howard

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Leak that the Government are going to back-peddle a bit on the over 70's isolation.

Proposal (apparently) now is that they should self isolate (ill or not) but can go out for 'a blow of fresh air' but should take all possible measures o avoid contact with anyone else.

Guess we'll hear the actual wording later.

which sounds like every day normal behaviour for me.   no problem.    :cheers:

we never try to make an appointment with the GP - instead we ask to see the practice nurse, which can normally happen the same day ........  if she finds that you need to see a GP she'll arrange it as early as possible.

56 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Try Aldi. Our local one is limiting ALL items to 4 max. per customer and had loads of flour of both varieties.

It was quite funny to watch one selfish woman have to remove 6 of the 10 UHT milks that she had rather greedily placed in her trolley despite notices around the store that 4 was max number of anything any one could buy.

(don't know if this is being applied nationwide though.)

Our neighbour picked up a bunch of bananas and was told at the checkout “There are six bananas in that bunch, you can only have four”. So she removed two and passed them to her husband, asking him to return them. The cashier asked the husband “Do you have any bananas?” When he replied in the negative the cashier said “In that case you can have those two....”

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bit like buying narrowboats and not ugly fat ones. All a matter of taste

Do you not mean comfy fat ones. They are of course immeasurably more comfortable and sensible in dimensions than the very stupid 7 foot beam minority boat after all. 

45 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

One thing I have learnt by reading this thread is that people actually buy that bloody awful unusable long life milk!! 

It's an acquired taste. Whilst I prefer fresh milk, I find I can get used to UHT. It's also very handy when you're in the middle of nowhere and run out of fresh milk!

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

It's an acquired taste. Whilst I prefer fresh milk, I find I can get used to UHT. It's also very handy when you're in the middle of nowhere and run out of fresh milk!

I have never run out but I get your point. Fresh milk lasts at least a week and I've never been as long as a week without visiting a shop. 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have never run out but I get your point. Fresh milk lasts at least a week and I've never been as long as a week without visiting a shop. 

I may have occasionally mentioned my dislike of milk in general :) cheese, butter and clotted cream on the other hand, but UHT I am with you 100% gopping stuff

10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I may have occasionally mentioned my dislike of milk in general :) cheese, butter and clotted cream on the other hand, but UHT I am with you 100% gopping stuff

Have you tried the various new nut based milks?  I find them much nicer that cow milk (which I have never liked much) and they keep for ages. My wife tells me they are a bit odd in tea (which I don't drink) they taste ok but sort of curdle giving the cuppa a disturbing appearance.

.................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Have you tried the various new nut based milks?  I find them much nicer that cow milk (which I have never liked much) and they keep for ages. My wife tells me they are a bit odd in tea (which I don't drink) they taste ok but sort of curdle giving the cuppa a disturbing appearance.

.................Dave

Never really liked them and as i have drank tea black for many years I have no need for milk anymore 

Actually I do occasionally buy milk to use up stale bread to make up a bread and butter pudding but that's about 3/4 times a year

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

.................Dave

Dave, milk comes from cows, goats and other animals. Milk does not ever come from nuts, trust me. How the hell can you milk a nut anyway?

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Detling said:

We discovered on a cruise that coconut milk can have a laxative effect so best not to have before a long day out trip.

Just had a glass .............. how long............. ......?

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was told that cows ate coconuts, how else would the milk get inside

They don't eat them, they tread them in a similar way the French tread grapes, it's a very special breed of cows with massive feet and legs shorter on one side so they walk naturally in circles.

I thought all that up sober, do I have anything to worry about?

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Try Aldi. Our local one is limiting ALL items to 4 max. per customer and had loads of flour of both varieties.

It was quite funny to watch one selfish woman have to remove 6 of the 10 UHT milks that she had rather greedily placed in her trolley despite notices around the store that 4 was max number of anything any one could buy.

(don't know if this is being applied nationwide though.)

What!! Only 4 grapes?  Sorry.?

• Haha 1