Over 70s isolation

CLAN1

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

One thing I have learnt by reading this thread is that people actually buy that bloody awful unusable long life milk!! 

UHT milk.

Utterly horrible and tastless.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Dave, milk comes from cows, goats and other animals. Milk does not ever come from nuts, trust me. How the hell can you milk a nut anyway?

I must be getting old.

I'm in agreement with you!

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Dave, milk comes from cows, goats and other animals. Milk does not ever come from nuts, trust me. How the hell can you milk a nut anyway?

I don't think cows get milked anymore, I suspect you have visions of buxom milk maids sitting on three legged stools ?. I think a big machine just sucks the milk right out of them so probly works just as well on nuts.

I am getting increasingly unhappy about stealing milk from baby cows and am very much a veggy. I want to be vegan and just as soon as good strong vegan cheddar, and proper vegan Stilton are available then I will become a vegan.

....and a smoked Wensleydale and a few others.

I accept that turning nuts into milk is a bit of a waste of nuts, better to put them in little bags and sell them in pubs.

..................Dave

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, dmr said:

I don't think cows get milked anymore, I suspect you have visions of buxom milk maids sitting on three legged stools ?. I think a big machine just sucks the milk right out of them so probly works just as well on nuts.

I am getting increasingly unhappy about stealing milk from baby cows and am very much a veggy. I want to be vegan and just as soon as good strong vegan cheddar, and proper vegan Stilton are available then I will become a vegan.

....and a smoked Wensleydale and a few others.

I accept that turning nuts into milk is a bit of a waste of nuts, better to put them in little bags and sell them in pubs.

..................Dave

Oh dear, Classic misconception. Do you not realise that if we didn't drink the milk and make cheese, yoghurt etc, there would not be any baby cows.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Oh dear, Classic misconception. Do you not realise that if we didn't drink the milk and make cheese, yoghurt etc, there would not be any baby cows.

Yes, Ive thought about it a lot. It would be very sad if there were no cows or sheep in the countryside, but there are loads of horses and nobody eats or milks those. ?

There are also a LOT of baby humans about!!!!!

But seriously, our desire for burgers is wiping out the rainforest and so our entire climate. We need to eat a LOT less meat and dairy and treat our animals a lot better.

When I first went  veggie (20 years ago) I said I would still eat a little meat as long it came from a good source and not factory farmed. This did not really work out cus if you stop eating meat it really knocks you about when you do eat a bit, those who say our digestive systems are made to eat meat might not be correct.

................Dave

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Yes, Ive thought about it a lot. It would be very sad if there were no cows or sheep in the countryside, but there are loads of horses and nobody eats or milks those. ?

But seriously, our desire for burgers is wiping out the rainforest and so our entire climate. We need to eat a LOT less meat and dairy and treat our animals a lot better.

When I first went  veggie (20 years ago) I said I would still eat a little meat as long it came from a good source and not factory farmed. This did not really work out cus if you stop eating meat it really knocks you about when you do eat a bit, those who say our digestive systems are made to eat meat might not be correct.

................Dave

Whilst I agree with your observations about eating less meat, many of your other observations are based more on popular myth, rather than supportable fact. I have spent a substantial proportion of my adult life working in rural areas, and still live in a village. in all that time I have only known one farmer who did not treat his animals as well as he should, in fact almost all the farmers I have ever known care for their animals very well, and would never mistreat them, why would they? it is their livelehood. As far as the rainforest is concerned, whilst some of it is used for livestock, much of it has been destroyed to grow Palm Oil trees which is used to manufacture milk alternative Vegetarian spread.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

One thing I have learnt by reading this thread is that people actually buy that bloody awful unusable long life milk!! 

It’s okay in porridge, otherwise I agree it’s not very nice stuff.

11 hours ago, dmr said:

................Dave

Yeah, thats why we have pointed canine teeth and incisors to rip those tough old carrots to shreds ?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah, thats why we have pointed canine teeth and incisors to rip those tough old carrots to shreds ?

I have taught my lurcher to chase carrots. Its paying big dividends now she is older as she is no longer fast enough to catch the bunnies.

..................Dave

• Haha 2

With the current debate suggesting  that people over 70 are "elderly" and should not be venturing out and mixing with other people, how does that match up with  the Tory Think Tank, "The Centre for Social Justice" recommendations that the State Retirement Age be increased to 70 by 2028 and 75 by 2035? More lack of joined up thinking?

Yes I know this should be in Political and Current Affairs, but it seemed more relevant to this thread.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

With the current debate suggesting  that people over 70 are "elderly" and should not be venturing out and mixing with other people, how does that match up with  the Tory Think Tank, "The Centre for Social Justice" recommendations that the State Retirement Age be increased to 70 by 2028 and 75 by 2035? More lack of joined up thinking?

Yes I know this should be in Political and Current Affairs, but it seemed more relevant to this thread.

To be fair, I think that the scientific evidence is related to infection and mortality rates by age. There is a marked upturn in risk over 70 (whether elderly or not) and an even greater level above 80. At the same time a a 70+ person I am not elderly (at least in my head!)

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

To be fair, I think that the scientific evidence is related to infection and mortality rates by age. There is a marked upturn in risk over 70 (whether elderly or not) and an even greater level above 80. At the same time a a 70+ person I am not elderly (at least in my head!)

So despite the medical evidence that people over 70 are more challenged by infection and mortality the "The Centre for Social Justice" still seems to suggest that people should (not could) work until they are 75. A comparative analysis would draw attention to the incompatability of the two differing views.

37 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

So despite the medical evidence that people over 70 are more challenged by infection and mortality the "The Centre for Social Justice" still seems to suggest that people should (not could) work until they are 75. A comparative analysis would draw attention to the incompatability of the two differing views.

You seem to have forgotten that when state pension was introduced after WW2 that male life expectancy was 67.  So retirement age was set such that about half never made it, and those that did, did not have many years, hence the pension contributions were affordable.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

You seem to have forgotten that when state pension was introduced after WW2 that male life expectancy was 67.  So retirement age was set such that about half never made it, and those that did, did not have many years, hence the pension contributions were affordable.

And the life expectancy of women was 72, so why was their pensionable age set at 60?

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

And the life expectancy of women was 72, so why was their pensionable age set at 60?

Because back then many/most women paid the ‘reduced stamp’ which meant they gave up their own pension rights.  But even now the pension ages are the same but female life expectancy is longer, so still women get a better deal.

In answer to your question as to why women get a better deal, I’ve no idea.

Edited by Chewbacka

8 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Not necessarily.  The immune system declines with age (from about 55) remarkably consistently however the body's general fitness keeps up.  There are some very fit septuagenarians  around quite capable of holding down jobs*, but their immune systems are still seventy  plus.    Complicated of course by the fact that certain conditions render one susceptible to the present virus.

* Excepting The Donald, of course.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Considering that CRT's pool of VLockies has a fairly high proportion of over 70's, I am guessing we are going to see a much restricted VLockie presence on the system. Not such a bad thing after last years experiences. However, how's that going to impact on the  flights that are only unlocked when manned. Foxton? Watford? etc.

Edited by Big Bob W