living on a boat

tracey08

Featured Posts

Hi all my name is Tracey, and looking for pros and cons to living on a boat please. My husband has been into boats all his live and has aked me to go on live on one in the next 5 years. we have a weekend boat, but i am under no illusions on how different it will be living on on. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Tracey

Some people love it, some people hate it, some can just about cope. Only do it if you are in the first category.

,,,,and if you are then you probably don't need to ask because you already really want to live on a boat ?.

...................Dave

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, tracey08 said:

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

There are many examples of one partner wanting to live on a boat whilst the other partner doesn't have the same 'drive'.

They buy a boat, try it and it doesn't work out.

Advice - if you don't want to do it don't do it, it could have wider implications to your partnership.

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, tracey08 said:

Hi all my name is Tracey, and looking for pros and cons to living on a boat please. My husband has been into boats all his live and has aked me to go on live on one in the next 5 years. we have a weekend boat, but i am under no illusions on how different it will be living on on. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Tracey

Hi and welcome to the forum. There is a lot of information about all aspects of living on boats which can be found via the Search button, and I am sure you will also get lots of advice directly on here. However, don’t be 

surprised if the subjects strays and goes off topic.

Howard

8 minutes ago, tracey08 said:

we have a weekend boat, but i am under no illusions on how different it will be

How big is your current boat?  If it's only a little one it is totally different to a bigger one. 

I do know some people live in 20ft boats, but I'd need one for each foot at that size!

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are many examples of one partner wanting to live on a boat whilst the other partner doesn't have the same 'drive'.

They buy a boat, try it and it doesn't work out.

Advice - if you don't want to do it don't do it, it could have wider implications to your partnership.

Wise words. 

I sometimes wonder how many relationships are broken by humble boats. It must be loads. 

Of course if the relationship is so fragile that it can't tolerate both people living in a tin box on a ditch then it's probably not a very good relationship in the first place. 

There are far worse things which could happen than living on a boat. 

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Pros: you will live on a boat.

Cons: you will live on a boat.

Hire one for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter (if you can find a hire firm operating) and see how you like it.

Winters great, stove blasting, wind howling but warm comfy and snug on the boat, I love it.

It can be very hard sometimes. Having on-going engine troubles so have to bleed the fuel system everyday just to get the engine running. Today the gas regulator failed so we have no cooking. Can't eat out because Ive got a slight cold and if I sneeze in a pub that would cause loads of trouble.

Gillie had to put a pot on top of the stove and sausages IN the stove, its like living like cavemen.

....................Dave

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

It can be very hard sometimes. Having on-going engine troubles so have to bleed the fuel system everyday just to get the engine running. Today the gas regulator failed so we have no cooking. Can't eat out because Ive got a slight cold and if I sneeze in a pub that would cause loads of trouble.

Gillie had to put a pot on top of the stove and sausages IN the stove, its like living like cavemen.

....................Dave

Unless you have a smooooooooooooooooooooooooth wunderfuel Japanese engine of course :D

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Best place for veggie sausages, but not the best place for pot.

Still in Hebden, Dave? :D

Still in Hebden. Not sure what our plans are. I suspect that Yorkshire is a very good place to be when times are tough so probably no big cruising this year, just amble up and down the Rochdale and review things late summer. "2020 is cancelled". Will likely aim for Tod this week then find a quiet spot up near the summit, I fear the pubs will all be closed soon so might as well as go for a good view. A Lot of towpath washed into the cut in the flood. I think a boat maybe did Tod to Hebden  last week but we are quite deep. If we can't make Tod then its a very big reverse back to Hebden. This is now the longest we have remained in one spot for over ten years, but this is a good place to be stuck.

We always do baked potatoes in the stove but the (veggie) bangers were a bit more difficult, did them in a little enameled pan and that will never be the same again.

..................Dave

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Waste of a good pan.   Veggie sossies straight on the coals and eat something else!

Nah, no heat in them, not like the proper jobs full of fat that burn better than firelighters ?

• Haha 1

On 15/03/2020 at 16:42, TheBiscuits said:

How big is your current boat?  If it's only a little one it is totally different to a bigger one. 

I do know some people live in 20ft boats, but I'd need one for each foot at that size!

Hi our boat at the moment is 20ft, but the one my husband is doing will be, i think 42ft.  

On 15/03/2020 at 18:06, blackrose said:

Pros: you will live on a boat.

Cons: you will live on a boat.

Hire one for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter (if you can find a hire firm operating) and see how you like it.

Thanks i might just do that.

2 hours ago, tracey08 said:

Hi our boat at the moment is 20ft, but the one my husband is doing will be, i think 42ft.  

Hang on - are you Wayne's better half?  The T in @W+T?

If so then living on a boat is great - just not with him cutting bits off it or stretching it while you are living on it!

Make him take you to look at some steel narrowboats somewhere like Venetian Marina where they have a few different ones you can go on and poke around.

38 minutes ago, tracey08 said:

I don't no a Wayne but I do know a PAIN IN THE ARSE called captain faffer

RUDE, And you are ??????????????

Captain Faffer :)

• Haha 1

Just now, tracey08 said:

I am his unfortunate wife Tracey.

Well we reckon you are either a saint or totally mad! :D

Either way, the right boat might suit you down to the ground, but it might not the one taking up your garden.  It will make a fabulous holiday boat when he is done, but I think it's the wrong shape and layout for a liveaboard for two people.  People can and do live on them without the extension he wants to make, or on even smaller ones, but it's harder work than it needs to be for the long term.

That GRP narrowboat that was on ebay a while back would be a nicer liveaboard.

1 hour ago, tracey08 said:

I am his unfortunate wife Tracey.

You still cant bloody spell can you its FORTUNATE 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well we reckon you are either a saint or totally mad! :D

Either way, the right boat might suit you down to the ground, but it might not the one taking up your garden.  It will make a fabulous holiday boat when he is done, but I think it's the wrong shape and layout for a liveaboard for two people.  People can and do live on them without the extension he wants to make, or on even smaller ones, but it's harder work than it needs to be for the long term.

That GRP narrowboat that was on ebay a while back would be a nicer liveaboard.

Ye but the GRP NB looks like a NB kida, And you still dont get the crack with me and a project, i like individuality, unlike lots of these weirdo bog roll hunters and NB`s, MMmmm not saying NB folk are bog roll hunters lol. 

1 hour ago, W+T said:

the GRP NB looks like a NB kida, And you still dont get the crack with me and a project,

Oh I do ... I just wouldn't live on it while you were doing it!

@tracey08 ignore him.

You are more than welcome to come and have a go on our boat if you want to see what a 45' narrowboat is like.  You can bring the faffer too if you want!  He didn't want to see what he could have got for the money when he was bothering my wife last year ... :D