Ash carriers

blackrose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rebotco said:

It doesn't.

But it does suggest that it is not harmful to do so.

Boaters have been known to complain about the lack of dredging yet there are some, apparently, who think is is OK to add ash to the canal. 

Strikes me as a little odd!

haggis

On 14/03/2020 at 19:53, Loddon said:

I cut most of the back out of our stove ash pan so its easier to empty, so now it only has 3 sides and a bottom.

This. We've cut the entire back off our squirrel ash pan and it makes it so much easier and cleaner to empty, whether into the tippy or elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Doesn't a lot of the ash fall out into the bottom of the stove when you slide it out?

No. Some does, but once removed from stove none spills out when carrying outside. With the back removed completely, then when putting back into stove it shovels any spilt ash back into itself again. Definitely a very worthwhile mod, tippy or no tippy, and makes for cleaner emptying with less dust. Lots of stoves come with the ash pan like this from new for exactly this reason. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Boaters have been known to complain about the lack of dredging yet there are some, apparently, who think is is OK to add ash to the canal. 

Strikes me as a little odd!

haggis

People seem to think that the ash drifts away and disappears somehow. It doesn't. It sinks straight to the bottom and forms a mound. When our moorings were drained a few years ago you could see which boaters were tipping ash overboard by the huge cones of the stuff on the canal bed.

Jen

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't think that is considered best practice these days with thousands of boats on the canals. 

Doesn't a lot of the ash fall out into the bottom of the stove when you slide it out?

I don't have a problem with ash either falling into the stove or anywhere else with my modified Morso  tray. Somewhere in an earlier post you mention carrying your tray in a gloved hand. Does your tray not have a detachable handle? If not consider working out a way of utilizing one.   

On 14/03/2020 at 10:13, dmr said:

All that tippy stuff is just asking for trouble, especially if its almost full. Leave the tippy upright, open the lid, pour the ash in reasonably quickly, then close the lid.

Wot a wonderful thread!

We've lived on lumpy water boats before this sewer tube so never knew the delights of solid fuel fires on boats. Our Tippy was included in this boat purchase 3 years ago and we assumed Dave's technique was the norm.....and didn't even think there was another way to do it. For 3 winters now, we have been fighting the ash. This winter I've even taken to wear a dust mask to empty the ash as some always comes out. 

I will certainly now try the 'lie it flat on the floor' routine. I could have gone on for years not knowing the tippy gave you more options. 

Well done all.

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Wot a wonderful thread!

We've lived on lumpy water boats before this sewer tube so never knew the delights of solid fuel fires on boats. Our Tippy was included in this boat purchase 3 years ago and we assumed Dave's technique was the norm.....and didn't even think there was another way to do it. For 3 winters now, we have been fighting the ash. This winter I've even taken to wear a dust mask to empty the ash as some always comes out. 

I will certainly now try the 'lie it flat on the floor' routine. I could have gone on for years not knowing the tippy gave you more options. 

Well done all.

How curious!

My technique for totally ash-cloud-free transfer is to bring in tippy from outside, put tippy flat on floor, arrange the handle to prop up the flap end a bit, open the flap, carefully put the whole ashpan inside, shut the flap, carry it outside, turn it over, open the flap and remove the empty pan. A very minor bit of ash cloud results but it's now outside. Shut the lid, leave the outside, bring ashpan back in and put back in stove. 

Totally ash-cloud-free boat interior and the whole thing takes less time to do than to type this out. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How curious!

My technique for totally ash-cloud-free transfer is to bring in tippy from outside, put tippy flat on floor, arrange the handle to prop up the flap end a bit, open the flap, carefully put the whole ashpan inside, shut the flap, carry it outside, turn it over, open the flap and remove the empty pan. A very minor bit of ash cloud results but it's now outside. Shut the lid, leave the outside, bring ashpan back in and put back in stove. 

Totally ash-cloud-free boat interior and the whole thing takes less time to do than to type this out. 

Yep. Never thought of doing that ...but then I am a muppet.

I thought it was called a Tippy as you just tipped the ash in.

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How curious!

I've never had one, but always assumed the whole point of the Tippy was so you could do as Mike says.

24 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Just tried it. It works! No ash.

I didnt get a user manual with mine.

What's that saying about keep doing the same thing and expecting different results? :P

I have wondered why you seemed to have such trouble with stove ash, and now I know!

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I am sure we have all had similar experiences, funny as when someone actually points out how it should be done

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2020 at 09:23, dor said:

I use a tippy.

Have a piece of metal sheet that  goes on the floor. Open lid. Take ash pan out of stove, tilt tippy and put ashcan in, closing the lid as much as possible. Remove empty ash can, put tippy with closed lid in the cratch on a piece of old rubber.

Now I have a Stovax, which has an open end.  I think Squirrels have a complete box form. If you want to use a tippy as above, i would suggest cutting out the end so the ash can slide out. If you are doing it daily then the ash won’t be enough to fall off the end.

It helps if the tippy is sized appropriately for the ash can.

Well that’s how I’ve been doing it for the last 20 years, but I still get some ash puffing out.  Having now been enlightened to an alternative method, I’ll now try the laying flat method!

1 hour ago, dor said:

Well that’s how I’ve been doing it for the last 20 years, but I still get some ash puffing out.  Having now been enlightened to an alternative method, I’ll now try the laying flat method!

So I'm not the only muppet around then!?

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I think I got instructions but,  for everyone who has been doing it wrong, we’re you ever confused why there was a mechanism to stand it slightly off the ground lying horizontally, and if so what it was for?

I've got a PhD in Hindsight and the Bleeding obvious but I missed that one. No user manual you see.

On 17/03/2020 at 09:56, Dr Bob said:

?

On 17/03/2020 at 09:50, Mike the Boilerman said:

How curious!

I think what I'm missing is enough free floor space on the hearth to do this with the gargantuan ash carrier I just bought (on the right of the stove).

IMG_20200318_113150_146.jpg

Also, to prevent smoke and fumes escaping when opening the stove door, do it very slowly, crack it open a bit, hold it there for a second and then open slowly so as not suck out the smoke and fumes.

Just now, bizzard said:

Also, to prevent smoke and fumes escaping when opening the stove door, do it very slowly, crack it open a bit, hold it there for a second and then open slowly so as not suck out the smoke and fumes.

I'd worked that one out!