anyone know of a boatyard near cosgrove where i can work on my boat while shes out.

qaz

Featured Posts

anyone know of a boatyard near cosgrove where i can work on my boat while shes out. Willowbridge Marina [they have a sister business nearby in milton keyns with same problems] are out out the question as as no one has anything good to say about them ,thanks

3 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Aylesbury Boat Club

had a chat with Aylesbury Boat Club , i may even join them permanently.  anyone know what would be a general search term for these non commercial clubs/societies as they seem  much cheaper that a marina to permanently keep a boat. am especially interested in anything closer to the west country that milton keyns. thanks

3 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

We normally moor up at these "private" clubs for a week or so here and there during our Summer travels.

Being a member of one club ie Aylesbury Canal Soc (the correct name) often gives you some reciprocal mooring possibilities at other clubs.

do u know how much membership and non residential mooring [35ft] would be for them by any chance, i only got to have a very brief chat with the Soc. im looking for a permanent [not temp] mooring.

i am so glad you mentioned this Soc originally

21 hours ago, qaz said:

do u know how much membership and non residential mooring [35ft] would be for them by any chance, i only got to have a very brief chat with the Soc. im looking for a permanent [not temp] mooring.

i am so glad you mentioned this Soc originally

Not my patch but I'm sure there used to be a "short" boat club in the central Milton Keynes area and in the wider Marsworth (Dunstable Boat club?) area?

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

Not my patch but I'm sure there used to be a "short" boat club in the central Milton Keynes area and in the wider Marsworth (Dunstable Boat club?) area?

Lionhearts Cruising Club Pennylands Milton Keynes is the best option , frequent vacancies too

17 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Lionhearts Cruising Club Pennylands Milton Keynes is the best option , frequent vacancies too

looked at lions club site...nice layout by i would need to attend a work party one a mouth from exeter...would they let me do separate days on my own i wonder ? also theres a one off joining fee a \£400

1 minute ago, qaz said:

looked at lions club site...nice layout by i would need to attend a work party one a mouth from exeter...would they let me do separate days on my own i wonder ? also theres a one off joining fee a \£400

The £400 is of more benefit if you were living locally I suppose , certainly worth a call I think .

5 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

The £400 is of more benefit if you were living locally I suppose , certainly worth a call I think .

sorry, i dont get that about it being a benefit. u pay it wherever u live [one time fee for joining]. i'll see how there prices compare to other clubs, would really prefer something more to the s/west of that area

48 minutes ago, philjw said:

How about Dunstable & District Boat Club at Pitstone.  I moored at Pitstone Wharf many years ago and I always liked the look of D&DBC.

A quick look at their website suggests you would have a commitment to work parties as for Lions.

http://ddbc.info/index.html#

That's the one I couldn't remember mentioned above - always looks a great place...……………...

1 hour ago, philjw said:

How about Dunstable & District Boat Club at Pitstone.  I moored at Pitstone Wharf many years ago and I always liked the look of D&DBC.

A quick look at their website suggests you would have a commitment to work parties as for Lions.

40 minutes ago, Halsey said:

That's the one I couldn't remember mentioned above - always looks a great place...……………...

We failed the interview for membership there, because they felt we might be too committed to actually going boating, and not spending enough time doing good deeds or attending social events at the site(!)

I always felt like we had a narrow escape. ?

Whilst they have a small slipway that allows boats out for blacking, I'm not aware they have any facility to have boats on hardstanding for any length of time.

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Haha 1

On 15/03/2020 at 11:52, philjw said:

thanks but need somewhere SW of m/keyns

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Plenty of yards on the Thames...

isn't that SE...duhh, i just realized there may not be any canals in SW

Edited by qaz
  • Happy 1

On 16/03/2020 at 20:15, qaz said:

thanks but need somewhere SW of m/keyns

Pitstone is a long way south of Milton Keynes, south west will put you on one of the arms (Aylesbury/Wendover), or the South Oxford/Thames. 

7 hours ago, BWM said:

Pitstone is a long way south of Milton Keynes, south west will put you on one of the arms (Aylesbury/Wendover), or the South Oxford/Thames. 

I think our friend quaz is about to find out just how limited his choice is especially on the GU South . I think we have covered everything thats in any way local to MK so I think Matty is probably correct when he mentions Oxford

• 5 months later...
On 15/03/2020 at 08:29, Halsey said:

Lion hearts cruising club is a small friendly club. Up to 35' I believe and those I met were nice people. Nr Giffard Park. MK

Edited by bluegreencanal