Narrowboat Hire booked for 6th April

Knighty

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Knighty said:

Hi all, booked a week commencing 6 April, with the current climate as it is what’s people’s opinion on wether the trip will be allowed. Hiring from Napton NB’s Autherley? Should say via Hoseasons and nothing on their site yet. 

You may be given the opportunity to move the date. I would give Hoseasons a bell.

40 minutes ago, Knighty said:

Hi all, booked a week commencing 6 April, with the current climate as it is what’s people’s opinion on wether the trip will be allowed. Hiring from Napton NB’s Autherley? Should say via Hoseasons and nothing on their site yet. 

I would have thought you or anyone else would be at lower risk on a boat than at home because of time spent outdoors, so I doubt that Napton/Hoseasons would cancel unless you wanted them to -- and maybe not even then...

• Greenie 1

I should have added - Personally I would still want to go, the only thing that would stop me would be if an Italian style 'lockdown' *  was imposed that prevented me from getting from home to the boat.

*The word 'lockdown' is used to match the language used in the media.

19 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I should have added - Personally I would still want to go, the only thing that would stop me would be if an Italian style 'lockdown' *  was imposed that prevented me from getting from home to the boat.

*The word 'lockdown' is used to match the language used in the media.

I will add that I definitely want to go and am with you on the “lockdown” comment   

38 minutes ago, IanD said:

I would have thought you or anyone else would be at lower risk on a boat than at home because of time spent outdoors, so I doubt that Napton/Hoseasons would cancel unless you wanted them to -- and maybe not even then...

Thank you for your reply and noted. 

Just now, Knighty said:

I will add that I definitely want to go and am with you on the “lockdown” comment   

If they cancel you will be entitled to a refund.

But if you are 'disinclined to holiday', to use the terminology, there will be a clause in the booking conditions that states you will forfeit your money.

Seriously I would just go.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

But if you are 'disinclined to holiday', to use the terminology, there will be a clause in the booking conditions that states you will forfeit your money.

Agreed 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Go and enjoy it ?

That’s the guaranteed part of any time on the canals?

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Very true. This is why hire bases are taking a hit by people who have booked but not paying the balance and cancelling due to the uncertainty. 

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Very true. This is why hire bases are taking a hit by people who have booked but not paying the balance and cancelling due to the uncertainty. 

Be assured with three weeks to go I have paid the balance?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Knighty said:

Be assured with three weeks to go I have paid the balance?

You might as well go, then. If force majeure prevents you from doing so, your holiday insurance should pay up.

(Even if they don't, you haven't lost the money -- you have lost the holiday.)

Edited by Machpoint005

Take a load of nice food and good beer with you and enjoy some time in the outdoors, eating and drinking out might be limited but boating should be fine.

If your not into beer then lots of wine, several bottles of port and cheese and biscuits etc etc.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, dmr said:

Take a load of nice food and good beer with you and enjoy some time in the outdoors, eating and drinking out might be limited but boating should be fine.

If your not into beer then lots of wine, several bottles of port and cheese and biscuits etc etc.

That's OK for the first night, but they are going for a week. :D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's OK for the first night, but they are going for a week. :D

A boat full of beer is a problem. Stockpiling the bog rolls was easy but trying to stockpile beer and cider is just resulting in big hangovers. ?

..............Dave

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

If you have to go to a shop , do it very early, or very late, when not many folks are around.

I would rather be on our boat than in a house at this present time.

It's always better on yer boat innitt. 

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Be careful which way you go, still some stoppages due to works.

Have a good time, and do it again soon.

TD'

Ok so now you have my attention, I’ll head over to the CRT site but was planning on heading north to The Barbridge Inn and back to Autherley? 

Edit Have now checked CRT stoppages and it seems clear all the way to Barbridge and back that week. 

Edited by Knighty

18 hours ago, dmr said:

A boat full of beer is a problem. Stockpiling the bog rolls was easy but trying to stockpile beer and cider is just resulting in big hangovers. ?

..............Dave

These work very well for a week on a boat, beer stays in tip-top condition -- I expect other breweries do them too...

https://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/brewery-shop/mini-barrels.aspx

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

These work very well for a week on a boat, beer stays in tip-top condition -- I expect other breweries do them too...

https://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/brewery-shop/mini-barrels.aspx

If its any good it would never last three weeks here. ?  I quite like bottles (and even cans these days) as its a lot easier to keep tabs on the consumption.

for example:

Henry Westons 8.2% cider

1 bottle = good

2 bottles = ok

3 bottles = bad but ok once in a while

4 or more bottles   NO!

The Carona virus is going to be very very bad news for pubs.

............................Dave

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. We have a boat hired for three weeks in mid-June... the final deposit is due in a few weeks... unfortunately for us however, we are coming from Canada's west coast so we have the additional complicating factors of international flights at each end. 

I think anyone in the UK who has a hire boat booked should do what they can to ensure they keep their booking. It is much nicer to self isolate yourself in a beautiful isolated spot on a boat (assuming you have been able to provision the boat with the food you need) than to be stuck at home. Obviously those travelling from abroad will have a different set of concerns because as flights get cancelled and borders close people are getting stuck.

If you cancel then you forfiet your money so I suspect it is best to take each day as it comes and maybe let the hire company know that you still want to take your holiday is circumstances allow but you are watching the situation with the airlines and borders etc and appreciate that the decison may be taken out of your hands,

33 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I think anyone in the UK who has a hire boat booked should do what they can to ensure they keep their booking. It is much nicer to self isolate yourself in a beautiful isolated spot on a boat (assuming you have been able to provision the boat with the food you need) than to be stuck at home. Obviously those travelling from abroad will have a different set of concerns because as flights get cancelled and borders close people are getting stuck.

If you cancel then you forfiet your money so I suspect it is best to take each day as it comes and maybe let the hire company know that you still want to take your holiday is circumstances allow but you are watching the situation with the airlines and borders etc and appreciate that the decison may be taken out of your hands,

Indeed, a canal holiday is one of the few ways of having a great time while being no worse (or maybe better?) for coronavirus than staying at home, since a lot of the pleasure is in the travelling and more time.is spent outdoors.

11 hours ago, cp140405 said:

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. We have a boat hired for three weeks in mid-June... the final deposit is due in a few weeks... unfortunately for us however, we are coming from Canada's west coast so we have the additional complicating factors of international flights at each end. 

I think all you can do is leave it to the very last minute the final payment is due, check your booking conditions and gauge the situation at that time.

You will of course lose your deposit but better to only lose that rather than the full amount.