Abused t105 batteries

Tessy

Featured Posts

I have 4 X power line T105 style batteries. They were not performing greatly but we're doing ok. I checked the water levels and was startled to find the levels very low with most cells exposed. I've added lots of water and charged up well, but they are now much worse than previous. I was hoping to get some more life from them hefore replacement. How could adding water make performance worse? 

Adding water dilutes the acid and does tend to reduce the voltage slightly. But having too-strong acid corrodes the internals, hence the concentration is a compromise. If you have left the plates exposed you will have damaged that area of the plates, and don’t forget the level tends to drop further as the battery discharges so it may have previously been lower than when you checked it, if you checked the levels when fully charged.

2 hours ago, Tessy said:

How could adding water make performance worse? 

This is my experience too. Topping up my knackered Trojanoids resulted in a 30% reduction in the already much reduced capacity. 

Its all Nick’s fault.....

Can it be corrected by checking specific gravity and then adding some sulphuric acid? 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Adding water dilutes the acid and does tend to reduce the voltage slightly. But having too-strong acid corrodes the internals, hence the concentration is a compromise. If you have left the plates exposed you will have damaged that area of the plates, and don’t forget the level tends to drop further as the battery discharges so it may have previously been lower than when you checked it, if you checked the levels when fully charged.

Can it be corrected by checking specific gravity and then adding some sulphuric acid?

17 minutes ago, Tessy said:

No. You haven’t lost any acid so if you add more, it will be too strong.

Apart from perhaps just being old, you have damaged them by letting the plates become exposed.

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is my experience too. Topping up my knackered Trojanoids resulted in a 30% reduction in the already much reduced capacity. 

Its all Nick’s fault.....

Well my proper Trojans are just fine thanks. Because I didn’t buy cheapo knockoff copies, and I don’t let them run dry!?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Haha 1

I've noticed something strange with my wrecked powerlines and thought I'd ask for opinions. Since topping up, I have found the resting voltage quickly drops to 12.3 or so. But once here, they stay quite reliably around here even after heavy use with inverter, TV. Since they technically work, I am naturally delaying buying Trojans, but I am also concerned soon I won't be able to buy Trojans if society collapses! What are the reasons for reduced resting voltage? 

1 minute ago, Tessy said:

I've noticed something strange with my wrecked powerlines and thought I'd ask for opinions. Since topping up, I have found the resting voltage quickly drops to 12.3 or so. But once here, they stay quite reliably around here even after heavy use with inverter, TV. Since they technically work, I am naturally delaying buying Trojans, but I am also concerned soon I won't be able to buy Trojans if society collapses! What are the reasons for reduced resting voltage? 

Society isnt collapsing, not even nearly. Other batteries are available. My cheapo Brit marine are just about to enter their third year.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Society isnt collapsing, not even nearly. Other batteries are available. My cheapo Brit marine are just about to enter their third year.

Never heard of them until now. Which model do you have? Price and warranty look good, but still £400 for 440AH, Trojans would  be £570 and I'm already regretting the cheap option

5 minutes ago, Tessy said:

Never heard of them until now. Which model do you have? Price and warranty look good, but still £400 for 440AH, Trojans would  be £570 and I'm already regretting the cheap option

6110DT. I am on my second set, the first ones lasted 2 years of full time off grid use as a full time live aboard, this set are lasting longer as I am plugged in at present so that make a huge difference. However they are still holding up and running my all mains boat when we go out. I charge EVERY day when not plugged in. My next batteries will be a set of the same.

Edited by mrsmelly

6 hours ago, Tessy said:

Possibly plate corrosion and/or reduced active material (it drops out of the "pockets" in the plates and end up on the bottom of the cell, where it initially increases self discharge current and eventually short circuits the plates.