Crick Marina and North Kilworth Marina

Traveller

Featured Posts

Moving up from the Middle Level back to the canals this year (if they ever open the Nene again!). Looking to find moorings on the Leicester Line of the GU and Crick and Nortn Kilworth come to mind. Have moored at Crick in the past but that was before it was sold to Castle Marinas and was some years ago anyway. Can anyone offer any advice/comment re the two marinas? Are they ok or is there an alternative worth considering? I note there is very little between the pricing applied by Crick/North Kilworth but always remember Crick as being a very friendly place to be.

Many thanks

Colin

11 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

We moored at Crick for this winter, our first return there for 20 years, and have found it excellent there. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful.

It was always so in our experience as well, but that was over 10 years ago. I always remember that rather quaint restaurant/bistro down by the canal

18 minutes ago, Traveller said:

It was always so in our experience as well, but that was over 10 years ago. I always remember that rather quaint restaurant/bistro down by the canal

If you mean the one that was once known as "Edwards" which was brilliant, but then became "The Moorings" and "Crick Wharf", it is expected to close permanently in late autumn this year as the site is scheduled to be sold for redevelopment.

I have always found them both equally friendly marinas.

With Castle Marinas/ Crick though it does give you the option to go and stay at one of the marinas in the group for so long (dont know the exact amount) without any extra cost. Which may be handy

24 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

If you mean the one that was once known as "Edwards" which was brilliant, but then became "The Moorings" and "Crick Wharf", it is expected to close permanently in late autumn this year as the site is scheduled to be sold for redevelopment.

Yes that's the one - I think it was called Edwards. Can't believe they are going to demolish it. Would have thought that might have been a listed building. Mind you I suppose they could redevelop without demolishing the building. It is quite a large plot if I recall. But....what a loss. Wonder if the business was doing badly or whether selling up for redevelopment is a quick way to capitalise.

2 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Yes that's the one - I think it was called Edwards. Can't believe they are going to demolish it. Would have thought that might have been a listed building. Mind you I suppose they could redevelop without demolishing the building. It is quite a large plot if I recall. But....what a loss. Wonder if the business was doing badly or whether selling up for redevelopment is a quick way to capitalise.

It hasn't been as good since it stopped being Edward's. AFAIK the site is owned by CRT, the building which was once a canal carpentry workshop (the last carpenter was called Edward hence the name) is just leased from them. The lessees don't want to close but CRT have said they don't intend to renew the lease.

Back on the Marina topic, I must say the staff there have been very diligent at looking after the boats - loosening ropes when the water level rose, salvaging items dislodged by the storms, etc.

8 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

It hasn't been as good since it stopped being Edward's. AFAIK the site is owned by CRT, the building which was once a canal carpentry workshop (the last carpenter was called Edward hence the name) is just leased from them. The lessees don't want to close but CRT have said they don't intend to renew the lease.

Back on the Marina topic, I must say the staff there have been very diligent at looking after the boats - loosening ropes when the water level rose, salvaging items dislodged by the storms, etc.

Thanks Allan. I remember Crick fondly - we had about 5 great years there. The only downside was the lack of facilities if one wanted to work on their boat and the lack of engineering support. Things may have changed in that regard though? ON the other hand the lack of DIY facilities ensures peace and quiet ?

Colin

Can't comment for Crick but in wider terms Castle Marinas seem impressive as owners. Clean, neat, tidy etc . Was at Wigrams it was ok as far as the operator was concerned but one or two liveaboards seemed to think they were 'the masters'. Cropredy is far friendlier. As for keeping an eye on boats is concerned they couldn't be bettered. When the level rose dramatically before Christmas they were around at 4 am loosening lines etc. When the high winds were forecast they went around checking and removing items from roofs etc . (happened to be on board both oçcasions) .

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Yelvertoft Marina is just round the corner from Crick and they have a separate slipway area for DIY stuff....

Yes - tried Yelvertoft and they did call me back but they were a bit indecisive. Sort of - yes, well may be, umm perhaps you had best phone nearer the time. They were also the more expensive, although not significantly so. In contrast both Crick and North Kilworth offered to secure me a mooring for June against a deposit. Also tried Weltonfield but thus far they have not replied to my email.

We moved to Crick last September from Kings Bromley after Castle Marinas bought it. Only moved for a change of location as we love the Leicester Line. So far we have found it to be very welcoming with extremely helpful staff. We have been with Castle Marinas for 8 of the last 9 years. We had a move away for a year to be closer to home and almost immediately regretted it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Crick has the advantage of the village for pubs and shopping etc. Marina has no slipway or on site engineers and basic facilites like a dry dock. Plus points they allow engineers on site provided they are known and have the correct insurance. NKM has first class facilites being a new build( still some work to be completed) but you need to use their workmen essentially. Both have good communities and great cruising range. Price wise as a liveaboard..NKM is currerntly cheaper.

20 minutes ago, zimmer4me said:

Crick has the advantage of the village for pubs and shopping etc. Marina has no slipway or on site engineers and basic facilites like a dry dock. Plus points they allow engineers on site provided they are known and have the correct insurance. NKM has first class facilites being a new build( still some work to be completed) but you need to use their workmen essentially. Both have good communities and great cruising range. Price wise as a liveaboard..NKM is currerntly cheaper.

Crick has a covered dry dock. Has done so for years - have had my boat blacked in it on a couple of occasions.

7 minutes ago, zimmer4me said:

I said that in my post lol...also moored there for 8years before moving on

Any English experts about? I read it as Marina has no slipway and basic facilities........ Probably misread what you were saying - sorry ? 

2 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

North Kilworth was inexpensive a year or so ago.

But check that they can handle whatever your length maybe.

When I asked they were pretty much the same as Crick for non-resi. All a bit in the air now as I cannot go to my boat to move it (it is a non-essential journey and my current marina is closed anyway  as is Crick). ?

I moved my boat to North Kilworth last October, my experience has been very positive, Being a brand spanking new the  facilities are some of the best I have come across.

Access to lift out, maintenance team. It gets a tad challenging maneuvering the boat when the wind gets up,  but I have no issues providing entertainment for my fellow boaters.

Staff are fine, helpful, and bus service into Market Harborough, if you need public transport,  or post lock down, you can take the boat for a trip to the town, 

Costs are on par with other local marina's.

Works well for me.

On 12/03/2020 at 19:13, Slim said:

Can't comment for Crick but in wider terms Castle Marinas seem impressive as owners. Clean, neat, tidy etc . Was at Wigrams it was ok as far as the operator was concerned but one or two liveaboards seemed to think they were 'the masters'. Cropredy is far friendlier. As for keeping an eye on boats is concerned they couldn't be bettered. When the level rose dramatically before Christmas they were around at 4 am loosening lines etc. When the high winds were forecast they went around checking and removing items from roofs etc . (happened to be on board both oçcasions) .

AFAIK, if Wigrams and Crick are like Cropredy, all moorers apart from staff were told to go home to their "Primary Residence" and the gates locked up.  Several moorers turned up at Cropredy to "self-isolate" and were turned away.  So maybe the liveaboards are no longer masters?

9 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

AFAIK, if Wigrams and Crick are like Cropredy, all moorers apart from staff were told to go home to their "Primary Residence" and the gates locked up.  Several moorers turned up at Cropredy to "self-isolate" and were turned away.  So maybe the liveaboards are no longer masters?

Wigrams has a high proportion of liveaboards, I would have thought that there would be plenty of people there.

The residential boats are still at Crick I understand and quite rightly so for Crick has had residential moorings for years. It is the same at my current marina: live-aboards only, leisure boaters cannot even visit their boats. 

Edited by Traveller

Just realised / remembered that there is new marina at N Kilworth. 

I was referring to what was Hucker marine on the main line by the road bridge.

One thing though - its was noisy.  The amount of traffic overnight on the road that feeds the M1 was tremendous.