It’s a Epping disaster?

Featured Posts

I knew my Epping had issues but I didn’t think it would be this bad! 
not only has the top rim of the damper box corroded and broken in two but the socket on that receives the box on the top plate of the stove has gone the same way!

What do I do now? Apart from weep!

I’m guessing these bits make hens’ teeth seem commonplace: is any of this repairable, might the rest of the stove be as bad - and should I be thinking of cutting my losses, hauling it out and sourcing some sort of replacement?ACD7048C-6305-4E7A-982F-7302E7532ADE.jpeg.e4f8cb7b6ccc08b0dd1b81a78c478ffa.jpeg

I rather fear I am looking at something similar on one of our boats, (yet to be investigated).

The problem would appear to be that it is not currently possible to source a new Epping, let alone Epping spares.

The previously very viable alternative of the Tomlow, of which Brinklow Boat Services built a batch, also seems not to be available  A forum member snapped up one located in a chandlery a while back, but I doubt anybody else has one.

I'd emphasize I've not actively started researching this, and am only reporting second hand what others have told me.

2 hours ago, starman said:

I knew my Epping had issues but I didn’t think it would be this bad! 
not only has the top rim of the damper box corroded and broken in two but the socket on that receives the box on the top plate of the stove has gone the same way!

What do I do now? Apart from weep!

I’m guessing these bits make hens’ teeth seem commonplace: is any of this repairable, might the rest of the stove be as bad - and should I be thinking of cutting my losses, hauling it out and sourcing some sort of replacement?ACD7048C-6305-4E7A-982F-7302E7532ADE.jpeg.e4f8cb7b6ccc08b0dd1b81a78c478ffa.jpeg

Mine went a similar way a few years ago. Not quite as bad as yours, so I bought a new smoke box ( I think that's what the part in the pic is called) Reassembly with plenty of fire cement kept it going for a few years. Then the top plate cracked in half, which was, I thought at the time, terminal. However all parts are (or were, until recently) available if you wish to rebuild it. In the end I bought a new one. The company which makes them is owned by Pete Dufficy. I have his number if you wish to speak to him.

• Greenie 1