Red Diesel Budget changes 2020

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Rob99fla said:

Agree with all of that. As I mentioned in another reply, boats make up a tiny proportion of the total 15% red diesel use. It might just be a simple fixed 60/40 as some suppliers do anyway. Anyway, it’s not until April 2022. It’s aimed at the construction industry which will lose between £280m and £490m a year (Civil Engineering contractors association figures)

The construction industry will not lose it, the additional cost will be passed on to their customers

On 11/03/2020 at 17:41, JamesFrance said:

A good find explaining the situation clearly. It might stop some people harking on about diesel generators producing electricity. It’s about diesel heating. A separate tank for the heater shouldn’t be too difficult for a competent DIY’er but will red diesel be available any more to boaters. We will have to wait and see. Someone told me that red diesel is basically heating oil these days. I know my new Planar (Now Autoterm) 5S runs beautifully on the red diesel I buy 

1 hour ago, Rob99fla said:

A good find explaining the situation clearly. It might stop some people harking on about diesel generators producing electricity. It’s about diesel heating. A separate tank for the heater shouldn’t be too difficult for a competent DIY’er but will red diesel be available any more to boaters. We will have to wait and see. Someone told me that red diesel is basically heating oil these days. I know my new Planar (Now Autoterm) 5S runs beautifully on the red diesel I buy 

Since ultra low sulphur diesel became mandatory in the mid 2000's, it become cheaper for the fuel companies to dye white road diesel red rather than continue to produce the old type red diesel AKA gas oil.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Since ultra low sulphur diesel became mandatory in the mid 2000's, it become cheaper for the fuel companies to dye white road diesel red rather than continue to produce the old type red diesel AKA gas oil.

And even that wasn't standard heating oil

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And if the boat is jointly owned by a couple, a syndicate or a company?

Same a for a car for which the same ownership possibilities apply........... well maybe not syndicate

On 11/03/2020 at 18:58, john6767 said:

I though this was going to come in in 2022, will your tank full last until then.

Timescale to be decided .......... I think.

Edited by MartynG

On 11/03/2020 at 17:46, Tacet said:

Something wrong with this, I feel.  At (say) 40p per litre it would cost £14.4bn for the diesel alone; Crossrail is estimated to cost  (only) £18bn.

Put another way, a  builder's skip size pile of rubble would cost close to £40k in diesel.  At 2 litres an hour, a mini digger/breaker would be be working for 25 years (40 hour week) to fill the skip. which seems a bit slow

You're doing what so many do - confusing millions with billions.   ?

And of course the meaning of "billion" has changed from a million million to a thousand million. 

Edited by jake_crew

35 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

And of course the meaning of "billion" has changed from a million million to a thousand million. 

I think he's just converted your tons of diesel into litres at a rate of 1:1000.

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think he's just converted your tons of diesel into litres at a rate of 1:1000.

Oh no he hasn't.  Allowance is made for density of diesel fuel  at 0.832 kg/l (and not as I typed earlier 0.932kg/l)although it does make that much difference.

7 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Guilty.  But I think (and hope) that I have used the same billions as the Crossrail forecast

Edited by Tacet