Unhappy Morco D61E water heater

Arf

Featured Posts

I have been experiencing an odd issue with my Morco D61E unit which has developed over the last month. 

When turned up to the highest end of the temperature gauge with any hot outlet open, it causes the water pump to cycle rapidly. This problem disappears and flows just like the cold outlets if the temperature is turned down - suggesting its not a furred up heat exchanger. The issue happens whether the pilot is lit or not, suggesting its not an issue with trapped air. 

I've read previous threads on similar issues and come to the following two conclusions - please could someone let me know if these are reasonable?

• As the heater is triggered by a flow differential, the water pump is no longer providing an adequate amount of flow when the burners are on full. Do water pumps producing a decreasing flow as they age? Its fine for everything else. OR:
  • The water control assembly has a fault. Would a replacement or repaired assembly likely fix the problem? Does anyone know if this is separate to the gas bits of the heater, so I could replace this myself?

The water pump is a Jabsco par max 2.9, which we've had for about three years now. I don't have an accumulator, even though I know I probably should. 

Thanks

At the high heat setting the high water temperature is achieved by reducing the flow through the heater, leading to the pump shutting off as the pressure rises and coming back on again as it falls. Perfectly understandable I would have thought if you do not have an accumulator.

Why this should manifest itself now could be that previously you had some air trapped in a pipe somewhere acting as an accumulator. Drain down the pipework, hot and cold, and refill. If it has cured it for a while that is it.   Then go fit an accumulator.

1 hour ago, Arf said:

I have been experiencing an odd issue with my Morco D61E unit which has developed over the last month. 

When turned up to the highest end of the temperature gauge with any hot outlet open, it causes the water pump to cycle rapidly. This problem disappears and flows just like the cold outlets if the temperature is turned down - suggesting its not a furred up heat exchanger. The issue happens whether the pilot is lit or not, suggesting its not an issue with trapped air. 

I've read previous threads on similar issues and come to the following two conclusions - please could someone let me know if these are reasonable?

• As the heater is triggered by a flow differential, the water pump is no longer providing an adequate amount of flow when the burners are on full. Do water pumps producing a decreasing flow as they age? Its fine for everything else. OR:
  • The water control assembly has a fault. Would a replacement or repaired assembly likely fix the problem? Does anyone know if this is separate to the gas bits of the heater, so I could replace this myself?

The water pump is a Jabsco par max 2.9, which we've had for about three years now. I don't have an accumulator, even though I know I probably should. 

Thanks

You can replace the water control assembly without breaking into the gas circuit, but the problem you describe sounds just like the behaviour of our Morco when the accumulator died.

MP.

14 hours ago, Arf said:

Thanks for your help. The boat hasn't had an accumulator since it was built about 13 years ago, but I'll give this a try. If nothing else it should take the stress off the pump. 

14 hours ago, Arf said:

Thanks for your help. The boat hasn't had an accumulator since it was built about 13 years ago, but I'll give this a try. If nothing else it should take the stress off the pump. 

14 hours ago, Arf said:

If the Morco n a few years old, unless you have only always used distilled water, [unlikely!] the heat will have some lime deposits inside,-- unavoidable.

Edited by Tracy D'arth