Location anyone

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

I've seen that photo before. I'm pretty sure its on the BCN - somewhere like Anglesey Basin or Hednesford Basin.

More or less confirmed by this:

https://www.mediastorehouse.com/mary-evans-prints-online/coal-mining/loading-coal-barges-4320542.html

"A pit pony pulling heavy coal trucks along on rails for loading onto barges on a canal in Staffordshire, England."

Edited by David Mack

Doesn't look to be a strong resemblance to Hednesford Basin, although it might be a different part or from a different angle...

(Anglesey Basin seems to be trickier to Google for, as apparently a firm called Anglesey make taps for basins!)

93-Hednesford-Basin.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

The angle of the image showing a straight wharf and narrow gauge tramway above, but the canal bending away. It may fit various BCN locations, but could be Cannock Extension Canal near Hednesford as suggested, and may be the West Cannock Colliery Wharf

I wondered if it could be the terminus of the Sneyd & Wyrley Bank branch (cheslyn hay/upper landywood) - I have seen some images somewhere but unable to find anything at the moment, but for the most part the Cannock Extension tends to be level or above its surroundings, whereas this image has the canal below its surroundings.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.65555&lon=-2.03941&layers=6&b=1

not convinced but a possibility

springy

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Another possibility?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.63478&lon=-2.00927&layers=6&b=1

. . and another?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.63837&lon=-2.01934&layers=6&b=1

Both have tramways beside, but not knowing the canal beyond the image frame makes ID difficult.

Can't be the second one as the railway alongside the canal would have been standard gauge, since it connected directly to the main line.

The first map is Fishley Colliery and the second Cannock Lodge.

Both are Staffordshire mines, but not necessarily  the correct place. The angled nature of the wharf, makes potential identification possible. The large number of boats indicates a busy waterway such as the Cannock Extension. however, this basin appears to be curved and angled with a pit tub visible at the end of the basin and the basin wall on the other side, such a situation may well fit the end of the Wyrley Bank Canal as suggested by one person. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/03/2020 at 16:58, springy said:

<snip>I wondered if it could be the terminus of the Sneyd & Wyrley Bank branch (cheslyn hay/upper landywood) - I have seen some images somewhere but unable to find anything at the moment, <snip>

I have now found the image I was thinking of and its not the location.

nook1.jpg.b1d8fab8d438ef76561f0afb4b485ec8.jpgnook2.jpg.2ded8318d9343cfeff602a41ce6d7d80.jpg

The images are from "Lesser Known Coalmines of the Cannock Chase Coalfield" - one of a series of books from the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society (17 books according to the list - maybe more by now). There are many photos and map sections showing other colliery wharves but I have not found a match for the OP's image, well worth a look for anyone interested in the northern BCN.

springynook3.jpg.33545e122fe930355509fe85ea980226.jpg