Battery Capacity for Solar

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah but you originally said AH for AH, 24v is cheaper than 12v, which from your figures it plainly isn't.

Your first example gets you 400AH for £3671.52, but your second example only buys you 200AH for much the same money!!

AH is only half the story, as this illustrates..

Gotcha! Just shows how much I've still got to get my head around!! I should have looked at the total Ah for each set up rather multiplying the volts by the capacity: a totally spurious and contradictory calculation as I can now see. Thank you for putting me right ....... again!

11 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Gotcha! Just shows how much I've still got to get my head around!! I should have looked at the total Ah for each set up rather multiplying the volts by the capacity: a totally spurious and contradictory calculation as I can now see. Thank you for putting me right ....... again!

What could be more simple than a battery that just needs charging every so often, one is tempted to think!

The whole subject is mind-bogglingly complex.  Just keep reading the threads, things begin to drop into place after a while.

45 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Don't know where you are based but I have a mate selling batteries in London if you want his fone number PM me he is way cheaper than what you are looking at mate 

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Don't know where you are based but I have a mate selling batteries in London if you want his fone number PM me he is way cheaper than what you are looking at mate 

Well north of the Scottish Border but I have been known to travel (pre-coronavirus). I believe both you and Dr Bob have mentioned Jeremy at sales@ev-support.co.uk before. Having to incorporate my own BMS into my system is slightly off putting at this stage of my knowledge and understanding but I guess I'll get bigger and bolder as I get a better handle on everything.

7 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Well north of the Scottish Border but I have been known to travel (pre-coronavirus). I believe both you and Dr Bob have mentioned Jeremy at sales@ev-support.co.uk before. Having to incorporate my own BMS into my system is slightly off putting at this stage of my knowledge and understanding but I guess I'll get bigger and bolder as I get a better handle on everything.

No this is a chap called James his batteries are new and still cheap,  with solar I think you will be ok without a BMS as long as you don't demand massive amps 

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No this is a chap called James his batteries are new and still cheap,  with solar I think you will be ok without a BMS as long as you don't demand massive amps 

That sounds interesting. I'd be looking at charging with solar, wind and the occasional mains hook up. What would you see as equalling massive amps in terms of demand? How happy are lithiums anyway when it comes to heavy current draw?

9 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

That sounds interesting. I'd be looking at charging with solar, wind and the occasional mains hook up. What would you see as equalling massive amps in terms of demand? How happy are lithiums anyway when it comes to heavy current draw?

Normally ok charging at high amps seems to be the issue