First year with a composting toilet

frahkn

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

If you squeeze your bag of poo a bit, you can usually feed it into a doggy bin.

I hope that's in jest....

People use doggy bins to dump sundry rubbish - with the result that dog owners dump their muck on the ground and in the trees.

People think that the facilities are there as of right and behave badly when the bins / whatever are full.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I hope that's in jest....

People use doggy bins to dump sundry rubbish - with the result that dog owners dump their muck on the ground and in the trees.

People think that the facilities are there as of right and behave badly when the bins / whatever are full.

It is in jest, I would never squeeze a bag of poo. Or feed it into a doggy bin, for that (fecal) matter.

• 3 weeks later...

We like it.

Although we’re keen gardiners in a small way, we’ve not managed to compost our, erm, product sufficiently. Problem being, we don’t live aboard or cruise for extended periods. So we just leave our no 2s in the rear compartment until nearly full then find a quiet facility to empty into. It’s pretty inoffensive but naturally not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s only 2 or 3 times a year, we’re CC but on board a week or 10 days at a time max.

If it’s been warm and 2 weeks since anyone on board, the first stir or two raises a whiff, but otherwise virtually no smell. Wee bucket is no problem, just don’t forget about it every day or two.

Compared to finding pump out or tip in during what’s often a short visit, it suits us. Everyone to their own

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, madsunday said:

Considering a composter. Anyone had the dreaded fly issue? Thats the no.1 thing putting me off right now!

No not really flies and spiders are always on boats, its a fact of life, my toilet closes up fairly tight so that helps I think plus I use coconut shavings all the time as they compost well.

5 hours ago, madsunday said:

Considering a composter. Anyone had the dreaded fly issue? Thats the no.1 thing putting me off right now!

Once so far - in a year's use - they were small flies and a single spray of 'RAID' cleared them up. They did not return.

19 hours ago, madsunday said:

Not really. I don't really have a problem with my fly.....on various trousers. The zip sticks a bit on one though. Wouldn't affect my choice of toilet.

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

No not really flies and spiders are always on boats, its a fact of life, my toilet closes up fairly tight so that helps I think plus I use coconut shavings all the time as they compost well.

Hi Peter 

Sorry to Hijack a little but what do you do for a urine tank as I understand the separate does not come with one just an outlet ? We are looking at converting to one but not sure how we are going to deal with Urine . 

22 minutes ago, RufusR said:

Hi Peter 

Sorry to Hijack a little but what do you do for a urine tank as I understand the separate does not come with one just an outlet ? We are looking at converting to one but not sure how we are going to deal with Urine . 

Surely, you are taking the Pi55 ?

27 minutes ago, RufusR said:

Hi Peter 

Large container that it pumps into I pour it onto wasteland or into elsan point, been doing it for years with no issues 

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Large container that it pumps into I pour it onto wasteland or into elsan point, been doing it for years with no issues 

Ok cool but where is container in relation to the loo does it have to be lower ie below the floor ? trying to figure out where to put it on our boat as we have a fitted unit behind the current Vetus which when the pump out gear is stripped out would provide space but then access to remove the container would be a challenge so trying to see how others do it . You say pumped in , is this a pump you have added as from I can see the loo comes with just a gravity outlet no pump 

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely, you are taking the Pi55 ?

Au Natural lol 

Edited by RufusR

1 minute ago, RufusR said:

Ok cool but where is container in relation to the loo does it have to be lower ie below the floor ? trying to figure out where to put it on our boat as we have a fitted unit behind the current Vetus which when the pump out gear is stripped out would provide space but then access to remove the container would be a challenge so trying to see how others do it .

Au Natural lol 

Mine is in a cupboard at the stern of the boat no issues with a whale pump, occasionally i pour lemon and vinegar down it to clean the pump out of calcium leav it over weekend seems to do the job

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Mine is in a cupboard at the stern of the boat no issues with a whale pump, occasionally i pour lemon and vinegar down it to clean the pump out of calcium leav it over weekend seems to do the job

Ah so you use a std Whale water pump ? or gulper ? 

On 23/06/2020 at 13:17, madsunday said:

For us it’s not so much the flies. Aerosol, rolledup newspaper or squash and wash, there’s only so many of em. No, it’s that when we’ve been away in warm weather, the little sods get into the fan on our Airhead which eventually jams. The aroma is then no longer expelled and you need to dismantle the fan to clean em out of it.

if this happens, take careful note of which way the fan goes back together. Or you end up making a bad situation worse!

• Horror 1

4 hours ago, RufusR said:

Ah so you use a std Whale water pump ? or gulper ? 

Gulper 

25 minutes ago, droshky said:

For us it’s not so much the flies. Aerosol, rolledup newspaper or squash and wash, there’s only so many of em. No, it’s that when we’ve been away in warm weather, the little sods get into the fan on our Airhead which eventually jams. The aroma is then no longer expelled and you need to dismantle the fan to clean em out of it.

if this happens, take careful note of which way the fan goes back together. Or you end up making a bad situation worse!

Haven't had that on the villa 

On 21/06/2020 at 23:24, droshky said:

We like it.

Although we’re keen gardiners in a small way, we’ve not managed to compost our, erm, product sufficiently. Problem being, we don’t live aboard or cruise for extended periods. So we just leave our no 2s in the rear compartment until nearly full then find a quiet facility to empty into. It’s pretty inoffensive but naturally not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s only 2 or 3 times a year, we’re CC but on board a week or 10 days at a time max.

If it’s been warm and 2 weeks since anyone on board, the first stir or two raises a whiff, but otherwise virtually no smell. Wee bucket is no problem, just don’t forget about it every day or two.

Compared to finding pump out or tip in during what’s often a short visit, it suits us. Everyone to their own

Is that into a bin or an Elsan point?

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm sure the elsan owners find the elsan become blocked with sawdust / shavings / coconut fibre very perplexing.

No not really. We start by putting in just enough to reach the &&&& stirring device. Then it’s months before the box is near full, bearing in mind we don’t live on board. At which point it all goes down the CRT service point sometimes pretty well rotted and in any case never clogging. Gonna happen this weekend as it happens, come and watch!

We use the dried coir bricks. They are cheap, take a tiny amount of storage space, half a brick expands in water to form a dry mass which we chuck into the empty box. Stir and occasionally glance in, empty as necessary. One day soon we’ll go on a long tour and will continually be on board and thus able to use the contents as intended on the garden...tho maybe not on the veg??

17 minutes ago, droshky said:

No not really. We start by putting in just enough to reach the &&&& stirring device. Then it’s months before the box is near full, bearing in mind we don’t live on board. At which point it all goes down the CRT service point sometimes pretty well rotted and in any case never clogging. Gonna happen this weekend as it happens, come and watch!

Thanks for the offer, and whilst it would be interesting I would not visit London if it was the last C19 free place on Earth.

Best kept for those who appreciate living in a 'rats nest'.