First year with a composting toilet

frahkn

Featured Posts

We have a composting toilet, installed a little over a year ago and also use coir in the "solids" box.  Our experiences are very much the same as frahkn and we too would not go back to the old toilet arrangements. We do live on our boat.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry, that is too much for me, I will stay with pump outs.

Besides I don't have a trowel.

I have given a greenie as its a first class post on the subject for once. There are zero benefits that I can see over a cassette bog which takes seconds to empty at hundreds of locations and spare cassettes are easy to store. The wheel does not need reinventing. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

My separate villa goes a lot longer between empties and goes straight into the composting bin on the bank, I put veg matter into the toilet as it fills up as it seems to help the mix!! Nearly 10 years of composting toilet now and I wouldn't change either 

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

My separate villa goes a lot longer between empties and goes straight into the composting bin on the bank, I put veg matter into the toilet as it fills up as it seems to help the mix!! Nearly 10 years of composting toilet now and I wouldn't change either 

I know it has been said ad nauseum but your circumstances are not the same as most liveaboards in that both you and the OP empty / store your 'production' on land.

Folks with no land base do not have that facility.

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry, that is too much for me, I will stay with pump outs.

Besides I don't have a trowel.

OK, fair enough then, strangely I once didn't have a trowel either!

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have given a greenie as its a first class post on the subject for once. There are zero benefits that I can see over a cassette bog which takes seconds to empty at hundreds of locations and spare cassettes are easy to store. The wheel does not need reinventing. 

Well, there is emptying ever 3 weeks - surely your cassette doesn't last that long. Wilko boxes are as easy to store as spare cassettes and I don't need any locations to dump the stuff. Also I imagine composting s..t preceded cassettes by a couple of thousand years and also the invention of the wheel most likely!

Anyway, thanks for the greenie, each to his own as they say.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

So you have sweet music in the bathroom!

Got me.

I too thought it was a very good write up....and some good information to look at.

The thing for me would be the disposal of the liquids every day. Our pump out needs something doing to it every 3-4 weeks so the thought of having to do something everyday is a big negative. I actually think it sounds better than a cassette from what you say.

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I too thought it was a very good write up....and some good information to look at.

The thing for me would be the disposal of the liquids every day. Our pump out needs something doing to it every 3-4 weeks so the thought of having to do something everyday is a big negative. I actually think it sounds better than a cassette from what you say.

In fairness, every other review I have seen says a bottle lasts 2-3 days so perhaps it's us!

Been pondering which toilet route to go down for some time.  Can anybody from the composting crew tell me what their experience of these toilets handling prolonged bouts of diarrhea?  Also how easy is it to direct any vacating stomach content in the right area or is it just simpler to have a ?bucket nearby?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJPHG said:

Been pondering which toilet route to go down for some time.  Can anybody from the composting crew tell me what their experience of these toilets handling prolonged bouts of diarrhea?  Also how easy is it to direct any vacating stomach content in the right area or is it just simpler to have a ?bucket nearby?

You would just pour coconut powder on the offending poo it would soak it up and cover it, I dont use the coir as the coconut shavings are available from eurocarparts to soak up oil in garages and is very cheap from them

Kitty litter?

and .....

To clean engine hole: I have bagged some in my best tights, made about four up from one pair to remove mucky liquids, also used to stop any fuelling spills.

Arthur always "goes outside", ?

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, JJPHG said:

The whole point of the system which I described us keeping the "solids" dry so I imagine that it would cope poorly with diarrhoea in the long term.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Not in practice, horrid things that don't fit anywhere, plus I don't have any.

Well it's like Tracy, with the trowel - you can always get some. In fact they are only too common even in smaller shops.

10 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Well it's like Tracy, with the trowel - you can always get some. In fact they are only too common even in smaller shops.

And nappies soak up an amazing quantity of liquid. Don't understand the "don't fit anywhere" comment. Not an expert on nappies used for the intended purpose but they are amazing at getting water out of bilges. Just have a strong poly bag handy to put them in when you lift them ?

Haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

And nappies soak up an amazing quantity of liquid. Don't understand the "don't fit anywhere" comment. Not an expert on nappies used for the intended purpose but they are amazing at getting water out of bilges. Just have a strong poly bag handy to put them in when you lift them ?

Haggis

AND dont leave em in tooooo long or they disintigrate :(