For I.T. techies

Midnight

Featured Posts

I recently found out about the Environment Agency's development of Flood Warning Systems

https://environment.data.gov.uk/flood-monitoring/doc/reference?fbclid=IwAR0g4Doyup9xwHOMaa2Ct9mYACc-t-PqoX9EzugaD2BASIdPc0_2Yda7IJ0#individual-station

I'm just a lightweight developer but using the above I managed to create a flood warning system local to our boat club. I'm still working on it but some may find it useful and adapt it to their own river areas. It's in Javascript so the essential code is visible in source view.

http://www.southpennineboatclub.co.uk/flood-monitoring/

The page monitors Ledgard Bridge Station which is closest to the Club. 

The top left panel show latest data with previous levels / times in the panel below.

The bottom row shows if the river is rising or falling and a colour code is based on the approximate indicator board at the river lock adjacent to the club.

The right panel shows the levels of selected upstream measure stations with rise & fall indicator and colour coded to the orange level stripe (Low lying land may flood) shown on the EA's flood information graphs

The lower right hand panel displays the Club's flood procedure triggered by levels that require a response by the club flood team.

My code is a bit clunky but if anyone is interested maybe we could set up a group to look at developing this further than I can go alone.