The Canal Shop Company

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

Anyone placed a recent order with this firm?

I know he has been having problem with supply of bridge plaques, but I placed an order two weeks ago, for product showing as in stock, expecting that it would be dispatched within 24 hours as per their terms and conditions.  As yet I have not had it, nor can I elicit a response when trying to make contact.

49 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:
50 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I know nothing, but am intrigue what a "bridge plaque" is.

Presumably not a failure to clean ones artificial teeth properly?

These things.

When I first got the boat I swore I wouldn't fit any. Now have two of the three rear risers on the stairs in to the stern filled with them...

Jen

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:

I know he has been having problem with supply of bridge plaques, but I placed an order two weeks ago, for product showing as in stock, expecting that it would be dispatched within 24 hours as per their terms and conditions.  As yet I have not had it, nor can I elicit a response when trying to make contact.

Hope it works out for you and the firm is OK.

Website says:

Problem With Supplies

There has been an issue with the supply of brass plaques this year. We expect all currently unavailable plaques to come back into stock during February 2020.

If you want to be added to our list to be informed when they are coming back into stock them please use our contact form and tell me which plaques you are interested in.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So why are they called "Bridge plaques"?

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Because they resemble the plaques used to number some bridges?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

probably.

Yes but....

As far as I can see, the link that has been posted doesn't call them that.

I have been aware of those brass plaques since the 1970s, but have never heard them referred to as "bridge plaques", so I think the real quetin is "are they, and if so why?.

24 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes but....

As far as I can see, the link that has been posted doesn't call them that.

I have been aware of those brass plaques since the 1970s, but have never heard them referred to as "bridge plaques", so I think the real quetin is "are they, and if so why?.

Swerving off at a tangent, the Blue Plaque scheme run by English Heritage has recently identified the house where the inventor of toothpaste lived for most of his life.

They decided however, it would be appropriate for the house to have no plaque. 

• Greenie 3

13 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

These things.

When I first got the boat I swore I wouldn't fit any. Now have two of the three rear risers on the stairs in to the stern filled with them...

Jen

sounds really nerdy - Ian Allan anorak behaviour.  :P

whatever happened to those car windows that were covered in sticky labels from holiday resorts all over the UK ?

Edited by Murflynn

10 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

sounds really nerdy - Ian Allan anorak behaviour.  :P

Definitely listening to my inner nerd. There are rules. No plaque unless I've done the entirety of the canal in question. If I've missed one arm, then it has to wait. Special exceptions for plaques that can only be obtained if you can prove that you've earned it. For example, the HCS Huddersfield Narrow Canal "74" plaque, the Erewash head of navigation, the Chesterfield head of navigation and the Sleaford head of navigation. The Sleaford was the hardest to earn. Boat scraping the bottom for the last few miles, then found the winding hole was silted up and had to reverse for six miles.

Jen

Off to the train station now with my flask, sandwiches and note book. ?

Dunno how big they are or where they come from but assuming there's a mark up of a fiver or so someone, somewhere, is making them for pretty much cost price. Scrap brass is dear stuff, gas / oil / coal to melt the stuff and time to make the pattern and all the other bits and pieces. No wonder there's a supply problem.

42 minutes ago, Bee said:

Dunno how big they are or where they come from but assuming there's a mark up of a fiver or so someone, somewhere, is making them for pretty much cost price. Scrap brass is dear stuff, gas / oil / coal to melt the stuff and time to make the pattern and all the other bits and pieces. No wonder there's a supply problem.

China?

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

Website says:

Problem With Supplies

There has been an issue with the supply of brass plaques this year. We expect all currently unavailable plaques to come back into stock during February 2020.

If you want to be added to our list to be informed when they are coming back into stock them please use our contact form and tell me which plaques you are interested in.

And that’s why I said...

On 09/03/2020 at 19:46, The Dreamer said:

I know he has been having problem with supply of bridge plaques,

But did not answer the rest of my question...

but I placed an order two weeks ago, for product showing as in stock, expecting that it would be dispatched within 24 hours as per their terms and conditions.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dreamer

I run The Canal Shop Company (and don't visit this site very often.... perhaps I should!)

Was your order for the Wardle and Llangollen plaques?  I can see that order (if it was yours) was posted on March 17th.  Did you get them?  If there's still a problem feel free to ring me on 01604 931039

I received a shipment of about 5,500 plaques at the end of February.  I've just finished processing them all (due to C19 restrictions and not being able to access my unit for a while) so the website will be updated in the next few days with the new stock (after I've emailed everyone on my "Request A Plaque" list).

• Greenie 1

On 11/05/2020 at 12:06, Goz said:

Was your order for the Wardle and Llangollen plaques?  I can see that order (if it was yours) was posted on March 17th

According to his post, he placed the order 2 weeks prior to March 9th, so 23rd Feb or thereabouts.

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

According to his post, he placed the order 2 weeks prior to March 9th, so 23rd Feb or thereabouts.

That was roughly the order date.  It wasn't despatched until March 17th because of the supply issues we had. 

As I don't know the OPs name I'm having a guess at which was his order.

• Greenie 1