Enfield legs

Featured Posts

Can anyone give me a idea of why or what’s worn in a Enfield outdrive ,it rattles terrible in neutral, but is quiet as a mouse in fwd or reverse 

, will it be the top bevel gear mating to the vertical shaft wanting shimming out or in on the back alloy casing thank you, Nick

4 minutes ago, Crow said:

Can anyone give me a idea of why or what’s worn in a Enfield outdrive ,it rattles terrible in neutral, but is quiet as a mouse in fwd or reverse 

, will it be the top bevel gear mating to the vertical shaft wanting shimming out or in on the back alloy casing thank you, Nick

It would help to say which model of outdrive - its a bit like saying '"my Ford car rattles"

I have several Enfield manuals and parts list if it happens to be one of those that I have a manual for I'll gladly Email it to you.

There are dozens of possible sources of the rattle, you would really need to work down the list of things and see which is worn / damaged.

Thanks ,I mistakenly thought all Enfield legs were the same inside,I’ve stripped enough, it’s a 130 wind up one,all bearings and  bearing surfaces are good,  no lift or play on  any shafts, it’s just real clattery ,if that’s a word , but only in neutral ,I’ve   looked on the net for good pictures and tolerances but they all seem to blurred to see,  

1 hour ago, Crow said:

Thanks ,I mistakenly thought all Enfield legs were the same inside,I’ve stripped enough, it’s a 130 wind up one,all bearings and  bearing surfaces are good,  no lift or play on  any shafts, it’s just real clattery ,if that’s a word , but only in neutral ,I’ve   looked on the net for good pictures and tolerances but they all seem to blurred to see,  

Ok, one step nearer :

Is it a 130, a 130H or a 130 Non Swivel ?

It’s the 130  swivel. I have found a reference on the net for a 7 to  12 thou  clearance on top vert and horizontal bevel gears,I’ll get some plastiguage tomorrow and see what it’s got,  that’ll be a start,

Thanks for reply buddy,  there is no rubber drive in the joint,I have 2 back to back c/v joints to defiantly take up any misalignment, as I’ve been plagued with chattering and vibration for ages,that’s cured it   but sounds in the leg to be making a lot of noise,I’m waiting for some plastiguage coming so I can see what gaps between the meshing planet gears

Not sure if you know them already but Chertsey Meads Marine know a lot about Enfield legs it would be worth dropping them a line. They are helpful and knowledgeable. Old school type of boatyard. 

https://www.chertseymeadsmarine.co.uk/home-2/

I know nothing about z drives as have never interacted with one but if you have bypassed a rubber coupling device could this be the reason for the problem?

Edited by magnetman

No buddy them rubber drives are 1960 s.   A car front drive shaft works at all angles and up and down ,with cv joints inner and outer, and mercruiser legs have them.it  was making noises well before I altered the coupling,