Mushroom vents

Bob692

Featured Posts

The mushroom vents on our new to us NB are plugged with a filter medium somewhat like you get in an extractor fan although a bit coarser, I assume to keep bugs out. Is this usual? Or should I remove it? The fore and aft door louvered vents do not have any of this stuff between them.

In theory it downrates the ventilation area by 40% for BSC ventilation purposes, although this is only advisory for non-liveaboard private boats.

Without it you will get flying visitors.  Worst are the queen wasps that come in to hibernate and hide up somewhere until you warm the boat up in the winter, then they blunder about or crawl around on the floor until you step on them.

Ok thanks. I wondered if it was a modification from the previous owners, but it seems it is quite usual. Will be getting my BSS at the end of the month, I will leave it in and see what he says.

1 hour ago, Bob692 said:

Will be getting my BSS at the end of the month, I will leave it in and see what he says.

He’ll probably advise you that your ventilation is marginal after he derates each vent by 50%. Nowt to worry about. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

He’ll probably advise you that your ventilation is marginal after he derates each vent by 50%. Nowt to worry about. 

Agreed.... The BSS examiner that I have used a couple of times says that he has to give the advice but, in a marginal case, that it only matters on the day when you have all 4 gas cooker burners and the oven on full, you are taking a shower where the gas water heater is on full power, and all the doors and windows are firmly shut.

15 hours ago, Ray T said:

Simple question, Why are the called mushroom vents and not toadstool vents?

OIP.jpg.90cb69e244c4160516d8f84147044876.jpg

Mushroom

OIP (2).jpg

Toadstool

Are you trying to poison us?  Just in case anyone is misled, your first pic is NOT of mushrooms, but of the deadly poisonous Deathcap, Amanita phalloides   In fact the pic is lifted straight from the Wiki article.

22 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Are you trying to poison us?  Just in case anyone is misled, your first pic is NOT of mushrooms, but of the deadly poisonous Deathcap, Amanita phalloides   In fact the pic is lifted straight from the Wiki article.

In addition to not eating deathcaps, don't eat any mushroom, or toadstool that has doors, windows and a chimney with smoke curling out.