Quads on towpaths

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Just now, wandering snail said:

We've had a quad up and down the towpath here on the Birmingham & Fazeley at Bodymoor Heath several times today and still gone 8pm he's at it.  Is this now allowed? We thought that anything motorised wasn't.

That my understanding too, that it is illegal,, but does not stop motorbikes and the like doing it.  You get it a lot on the BCN.

6 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

We've had a quad up and down the towpath here on the Birmingham & Fazeley at Bodymoor Heath several times today and still gone 8pm he's at it.  Is this now allowed? We thought that anything motorised wasn't.

It is against the law and C&RT have produced a 27 page document regarding the situation - unfortunately I cannot post it on the forum as the forum software does not allow Pdf's, a short extract and a screen-shot of the document.

The following legal powers have been used in addressing the problem:
• Section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 gives general prohibition of driving motor
vehicles other than on roads without lawful authority
• Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 gives police the powers to confiscate
vehicles used in a manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance. A warning must be
given first, but this legislation has been successfully used to seize vehicles
• Use of a motor vehicle without insurance on a road or other public place is an
offence under Section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and the Motor Vehicles
(Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 2000.

Screenshot (88).png

Ok, thanks for this. He looks like a farmer and/or maybe a hunter, no reg number and not tearing along but fast enough of course that we nearly had a problem with our deaf old dog this evening. Think I'll check with C&RT. I suppose they may have given him permission??

12 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Ok, thanks for this. He looks like a farmer and/or maybe a hunter, no reg number and not tearing along but fast enough of course that we nearly had a problem with our deaf old dog this evening. Think I'll check with C&RT. I suppose they may have given him permission??

I think it is a local farmer, last time we were down there he rode down to the pub and back along later in the evening.

Last time I did tardebigge the CRT member of staff was riding up and down on a quad and I've seen CRT staff at Caen Hill using one.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think it is a local farmer, last time we were down there he rode down to the pub and back along later in the evening.

Last time I did tardebigge the CRT member of staff was riding up and down on a quad and I've seen CRT staff at Caen Hill using one.

I did wonder about how that works.  We took a young lady CRT employee who was a lock keeper on Tradibigge out on the boating buddies scheme, and she was telling us about the quad bike course she had just been on as they had a quad bike on Tardebigge.

18 hours ago, wandering snail said:

The lock keepers at  Devizes use a quad bike!

22 hours ago, Rob-M said:

He does seem to be going to the pub that's after the lock in front of us and back again. Don't know what the boat moored there thought when he parked his front wheels on their mooring rope!