Petter s type

Nick Davis

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Nick Davis said:

What's the history of Oak? I don't know this boat doesn't look like a normal working boat?

It was built with a 'reverse' layout, engine in the stern and the cabin between engine room and hold. More information here: https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/willow

Sorry don't know if it has a reversing gearbox or not, we weren't allowed to go on the boats so I had to hold my camera at arms length reaching in and hope the photos came out okay!

CRT were doing trips to the warehouse during the Easter Boat Gathering. I believe access to the warehouse is by appointment only now through the museum.

3 minutes ago, Rusty Rivet said:

It was built with a 'reverse' layout, engine in the stern and the cabin between engine room and hold. More information here: https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/willow

Sorry don't know if it has a reversing gearbox or not, we weren't allowed to go on the boats so I had to hold my camera at arms length reaching in and hope the photos came out okay!

CRT were doing trips to the warehouse during the Easter Boat Gathering. I believe access to the warehouse is by appointment only now through the museum.

Thanks Nick I'll try and get myself in there. Cheers 

21 minutes ago, max's son said:

Oak was at Gloucester, could be the engine on the landrover

see this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordandworcester/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8596000/8596362.stm

oak.PNG

I think you could be right I had read that article before but it was good to read it again and make all the connections.

Thanks for the oak picture.

I'm learning loads on this forum don't know why I didn't go on it years ago you people have do much knowledge.

8 hours ago, Chris M Jones said:

My records show Samuel Barlow Coal Co Ltd motor HOOD fleet number 59 was noted as having a Parsons engine extensively refitted from spares valued at £50 on 30th June 1957.  

Thanks Chris,

So this record refers not to my boat but the other earlier Hood built by Nursers in 1936.

Interesting that it may also have been fitted with a Parsons maranised Armstrong. Why refitted from spares? Had they broken it already?

What are your records Chris?

13 hours ago, Chris M Jones said:

My records show Samuel Barlow Coal Co Ltd motor HOOD fleet number 59 was noted as having a Parsons engine extensively refitted from spares valued at £50 on 30th June 1957.  

5 hours ago, Nick Davis said:

Thanks Chris,

So this record refers not to my boat but the other earlier Hood built by Nursers in 1936.

Interesting that it may also have been fitted with a Parsons maranised Armstrong. Why refitted from spares? Had they broken it already?

What are your records Chris?

I understood that the Nurser built HOOD was fleet number 32 both before and after the fleet renumbering, and as HYPERION became 58 it makes sense to me that the S.E. Barlow HOOD became 59 - so Mr Jones reference above is related to Mr Davis' HOOD, and we now know the Parsons Merganser was fitted in 1957 :captain:

edit = my records are from Bert Dunkley who made transcripts of Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. documents in January 1951 - so the later acquisitions are unfortunately missing. Whether the tabular construction of Mr Dunkley's transcript is exactly as per the original I do not know, but there is loads of interesting information.

Edited by pete harrison

5 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I understood that the Nurser built HOOD was fleet number 32 both before and after the fleet renumbering, and as HYPERION became 58 it makes sense to me that the S.E. Barlow HOOD became 59 - so Mr Jones reference above is related to Mr Davis' HOOD, and we now know the Parsons Merganser was fitted in 1957 :captain:

Thanks for clarifying this Pete what an epic knowledge you have.

I am really grateful for all the information.

Nick

5 minutes ago, Nick Davis said:

Thanks for clarifying this Pete what an epic knowledge you have.

I am really grateful for all the information.

Nick

As has been proven numerous times Chris M. Jones has far superior records than me, and is more accurate in his portrayal of this information. It will be interesting to see what comes next on this thread as both of the Barlow companies fall outside of my main field of interest :captain:

11 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

As has been proven numerous times Chris M. Jones has far superior records than me, and is more accurate in his portrayal of this information. It will be interesting to see what comes next on this thread as both of the Barlow companies fall outside of my main field of interest :captain:

I'll look forward to Chris M Jones's insight as it seems I'm easily caught out 

Honestly fleet number changes....of course forgot that.

23 hours ago, Nick Davis said:

I sold the Merganser to a man who said he had just bought Clee not sure if it was 2007 or 2008 but I think it eventually found it's way into josher Kestrel don't know if it still is.

I didn't take a record of the numbers although a well known boat spotter called Alan Brown often jumped into the engine room and took the numbers I wonder what happened to his note books?

I liked Alan

23 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

So did I. 

I have his notes which he sent me about Owl - not that I could ever decipher his writing.

23 hours ago, Nick Davis said:

Those note books would be quite valuable data now, the last time I saw Alan I had to write my numbers down for him....I wish I'd paid more attention.

He had a wicked sense of humour he once told me that "if one more person tells me Hood was built by Nurser's they'll need nursing" hysterical ?

Alan Elyard Brown was a dear friend of mine and we visited each others homes on numerous occasions. Alan gave me full access to his extensive collection of notes, files and folders, much of which I have used to fill in the gaps in my own 'research'. Alan was often a point of ridicule at boat rallies and gatherings but his enthusiasm and insistence on correctness was undaunted, and he was usually the first point of contact when specific detail was needed. There is no doubt that Alan was an eccentric, and his writing became unbelievably difficult to read - a bit like deciphering code but for those with patience and respect well worth while. Alan passed away a few years ago with his records going to the Historic Narrow Boat Club archive (he would turn in his grave to know this), with his older photographs and slides remaining within a private collection. Fortunately I have photocopies of arguably Alan's most important documents - his first 'Diary File' from 12 November 1960 to 10 October 1975 which captures the period of change for many boats from commercial to pleasure use and his last 'Diary File' from 13 April 1997 to 04 September 2011. The waterways (and railways) suffered a great loss with the passing of Alan Elyard Brown and I do not think we will see the likes of him again - RIP. 

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Alan Elyard Brown was a dear friend of mine and we visited each others homes on numerous occasions. Alan gave me full access to his extensive collection of notes, files and folders, much of which I have used to fill in the gaps in my own 'research'. Alan was often a point of ridicule at boat rallies and gatherings but his enthusiasm and insistence on correctness was undaunted, and he was usually the first point of contact when specific detail was needed. There is no doubt that Alan was an eccentric, and his writing became unbelievably difficult to read - a bit like deciphering code but for those with patience and respect well worth while. Alan passed away a few years ago with his records going to the Historic Narrow Boat Club archive (he would turn in his grave to know this), with his older photographs and slides remaining within a private collection. Fortunately I have photocopies of arguably Alan's most important documents - his first 'Diary File' from 12 November 1960 to 10 October 1975 which captures the period of change for many boats from commercial to pleasure use and his last 'Diary File' from 13 April 1997 to 04 September 2011. The waterways (and railways) suffered a great loss with the passing of Alan Elyard Brown and I do not think we will see the likes of him again - RIP. 

I'm very glad to learn that his legacy is being archived and scrutinised by those who understand its importance. I'm sure many of us would love to see the best bits and the photos, must be a book in it...'the dairy files'

He came for a trip on Hood with my Dad and I across the Tring summit we dropped him off at the train station after a fifty point turn at Cowroast.

I took photos of us all with his camera which unfortunately he left it on the train so I never got copies but I can see his beaming face now he was great company.

Edited by Nick Davis

• 3 years later...
On 26/05/2023 at 12:57, internalfire said:

Appreciate this is an old thread but we have the Petters records and a quick look through the S type sales in the mid 30s shows three 12/14 marine being sold to S E Barlow & Co. in 1935 and a further engine in 1937. No 18/21 shown.

are these records available to view

The records are online at https://www.ifarchive.net for the moment, you can search for an engine serial number and get any data held (it may need to be indexed if not already done).

To browse the original day books you can make a request for access to the museum but because of problems in the past you would have to visit the museum have a general dig.

Most pre-war day books are digitised along with all the surviving drawings - about 100,000.

• Greenie 1

Apologies for confusion. Currently the Archive is available at the address given. Still hoping to keep this alive but with over 5tb of data the server we host on has become too expensive for the museum to maintain - when there were sufficient donations it was not an issue, current climate has killed that.

We have also digitised the remaining Ailsa Craig drawings and records, also online at the moment.

A number of people have now offered financial to help keep the archive online so fingers crossed. Access is always available at the museum.

Paul

• Greenie 1