Solar kit to fit

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Hi All,

i'm about to purchase a 12 volt solar kit with 2 panels. But I need someone to install the kit on my narrow boat. I would appreciate if you could recommend someone in the London area. 

In your other post you say you have a 24V set up. A 12V only controller won't work with it if so.

Jen

25 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Hi All,

i'm about to purchase a 12 volt solar kit with 2 panels. But I need someone to install the kit on my narrow boat. I would appreciate if you could recommend someone in the London area. 

It would be far better to get your installer to supply the kit too. As Jen points out, you are buying the wrong gear. Either get yourself up to speed on solar technology so you can competently chose what to fit, or rely on your installer to specify it for you, I suggest. 

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It would be far better to get your installer to supply the kit too. As Jen points out, you are buying the wrong gear. Either get yourself up to speed on solar technology so you can competently chose what to fit, or rely on your installer to specify it for you, I suggest. 

Sorry for causing confusion. To clarify the 2 X 200 panels linked to the 24 bank came with the boat. I now want a 12 volt kit linked to my 12 volt bank but without an inverter

19 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Sorry for causing confusion. To clarify the 2 X 200 panels linked to the 24 bank came with the boat. I now want a 12 volt kit linked to my 12 volt bank but without an inverter

I see, so you have two battery banks, a 24V bank for the inverter and 240Vac fridge, and a 12V bank for your 12Vdc services?

My advice still stands though. Technicians/installers never really like installing gear supplied by the customer as specification errors are common, which totally wastes loads of installer time.

Given you are London and all the difficulties in finding good installers, best not to make it even more difficult to find someone by specifying you will be supplying the equipment yourself. Its a big negative for an installer.

To answer your original question I don't know anyone in London. Its a really big place so narrowing down which bit might bring a result. Or look/ask on the London Boaters FB page.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit

17 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

How big is the 24V bank (Ahr)? How big is the 12V bank (Ahr)? What are they eacb used for?

Second MtB's advice, there are lots of ways of doing this and the optimum might not be what you at first think. Find an installer first, then go with what they say.

For example, one way to do this would be to increase the size of the solar array feeding the 24V bank, assuming the charge controller will take it, then add a 24V to 12V battery charger to look after charging the 12V bank. There are lots of other approaches. What works best for you we can't tell with the information we've got.

Jen

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I see, so you have two battery banks, a 24V bank for the inverter and 240Vac fridge, and a 12V bank for your 12Vdc services?

My advice still stands though. Technicians/installers never really like installing gear supplied by the customer as specification errors are common, which totally wastes loads of installer time.

Given you are London and all the difficulties in finding good installers, best not to make it even more difficult to find someone by specifying you will be supplying the equipment yourself. Its a big negative for an installer.

To answer your original question I don't know anyone in London. Its a really big place so narrowing down which bit might bring a result. Or look/ask on the London Boaters FB page.

Mike, checked the London Boaters FB page already but no takers. Don't want to go to Onboard Solar as he use only small panels. Don't want to end up with 4 or 5 of them on the roof plus the two I already have.

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How big is the 24V bank (Ahr)? How big is the 12V bank (Ahr)? What are they eacb used for?

Second MtB's advice, there are lots of ways of doing this and the optimum might not be what you at first think. Find an installer first, then go with what they say.

For example, one way to do this would be to increase the size of the solar array feeding the 24V bank, assuming the charge controller will take it, then add a 24V to 12V battery charger to look after charging the 12V bank. There are lots of other approaches. What works best for you we can't tell with the information we've got.

Jen

The 24 bank is 220 ahr and based in the bow close to the thruster and inverter. The 12 volt bank in the engine bay is 360 ahr and starter battery 110 ahr. Never thought of your suggestion but no surprise as I haven't got a clue.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Mike, checked the London Boaters FB page already but no takers. Don't want to go to Onboard Solar as he use only small panels. Don't want to end up with 4 or 5 of them on the roof plus the two I already have.

In that case, move the boat to where an installer is!

Or learn the subject and do it yourself. It isn't that complicated and learning/knowing the basics of 12V electrickery will stand you in good stead for the whole of your boating career. 

And given the total absence of London installers, you might find yourself with a nice little sideline for earning good money at the weekends. Or even a full time career.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I'm a newbie to lecktrickey and fitted my own last year. It saved me loads. Just read up about it.

Core electrical work is only about 25% of the work.

The rest is drilling holes, fixing stuff to walls, devising ways to route cables, etc etc.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

I'm a newbie to lecktrickey and fitted my own last year. It saved me loads. Just read up about it.

I am not sure this is a good idea for the average boater. In this instance the forum gurus have already stepped in to advise.

I have gone through four or five people who worked as boat electricians but who were not willing / not capable of fixing my system, yes, you can do it, once, if the existing system is simple and  properly installed and you are meticulous, and understand boat construction, materials, electrical systems.

The two electricians who have tackled my electrics have had many years of practical marine electrial experience and professional training. They also have the tools, not cheap. The others ran away.

I have been learning from books and youtube, but no way could I tackle OPs system, it's not simple.

Every boat is bespoke. It's not always a case of just connecting a few wires together.

My electrician estimates it will cost £600 in labour to fit a two panel system, materials £625. For him it is two day's work and he can recognise and sort any unsafe/inefficient installation he encounters. 

Edited by LadyG