Lister Green

Andy_B

Featured Posts

Okay.  If you'be been following, we've finally got the heads off, found some refurbished ones, and while you've not been looking I'be cleaned all the old oil and bits of metal out ready to make the most of a huge amount of golden film.

This, however might be my most searching question yet.

What colour should it be?  Green, well obviously.  But which Green? Dark Buckingham?  Mid Buckingham?  Lister green (whatever that is)? 

What is the definitive and correct colour for a 1951 JP2-M and where's best to buy it?   Oh and the red flywheel, that's an offence, right? 

TiA

Andy

Well .... actually ..... not necessarily!!!

Look at the engine serial number, if it has an M in it for marine then the paint scheme should be blue.  A light blue a bit like Sky Blue.

My old Small Woolwich Rigal has/had an HA2M in its original garb.  I was both horrified and amused a few years back to see a photo of the engine 'ole and learn that a following owner had gone to all of the painful process to degrease the lump in its entirety and then proudly painted it green. AARRRRRRRGGH!

19 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Well .... actually ..... not necessarily!!!

Look at the engine serial number, if it has an M in it for marine then the paint scheme should be blue.  A light blue a bit like Sky Blue.

My old Small Woolwich Rigal has/had an HA2M in its original garb.  I was both horrified and amused a few years back to see a photo of the engine 'ole and learn that a following owner had gone to all of the painful process to degrease the lump in its entirety and then proudly painted it green. AARRRRRRRGGH!

Interestingly though I think Flamingo's HA2 was probably still in its original paint from when we believe Willow Wren CTS put it in circa 1968.

This, including the Blackstone box, was silver, so I am far from convinced mrine engines were only delivered in the one colour.

IMG_20150203_124739.jpg.61ef1a98dfd389cd879975b0c3a2538b.jpg

Not being a fan of the silver, we elected to go green, even if it is the first time it has been.

P1000206.JPG

I think it looks a whole heap better.

The HA3 that came out of Sickle was already green, (again including the blackstone box), so it has remained that way on a repaint.

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

Stationary engine parts do a decent engine paint and an excellent primer, sensible sized tins too.

I’ve been looking at them...does their paint cover well?? They did used to stock craftmaster but I saw they now had changed. 

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’ve been looking at them...does their paint cover well?? They did used to stock craftmaster but I saw they now had changed. 

Their Paragon paint covers very well, it's what we use

Lister green - the green on JP engines is darker than is found on later engines, LPW engines are Moss green

And Mid Brunswick Green is like the Pirate Code, more by the way of guidelines than an actual colour. Try buying tins from different manufacturers

I prefer grey myself, or Peacock Blue for S types

Richard

45 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yes, covers well and seems fairly surface tolerant if you encounter a bit of oil missed on the clean up.

51 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Their Paragon paint covers very well, it's what we use

Lister green - the green on JP engines is darker than is found on later engines  

So what paint shade or RAL number do you reckon for a JP?? 

15 minutes ago, BWM said:

Yes, covers well and seems fairly surface tolerant if you encounter a bit of oil missed on the clean up.

Great. I might give it a go. 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

So what paint shade or RAL number do you reckon for a JP?? 

I thought you were going to ask that...

I'll go and read a tin for you. You might get Hudson Lister Mid Brunswick Green though

Incidentally, the JP in the workshop just now is dark blue, it used to be grey

Richard

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I thought you were going to ask that...

I'll go and read a tin for you. You might get Hudson Lister Mid Brunswick Green though

Incidentally, the JP in the workshop just now is dark blue, it used to be grey

Richard

When I stripped my JP for the first time it was quite a bright orange...and that was in places that meant it was either factory finish or someone had done a very thorough job...that’s on a “proper” marine unit....from reading other old engine articles I think all the factories used what was about...especially during and just after WW2. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Red lead?

I don’t think so...best described as RAC orange!! It had then been covered in blue hammerite!! 

Edited to add...looks like proper red lead might be more orange than I thought! Possibly it was red lead! Oh well it sanded off ok and didn’t do me any harm...? 

Edited by frangar

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

I don’t think so...best described as RAC orange!! It had then been covered in blue hammerite!! 

Edited to add...looks like proper red lead might be more orange than I thought! Possibly it was red lead! Oh well it sanded off ok and didn’t do me any harm...? 

Years ago I used red lead primer on a boat. Freshly applied it was bright tangerine orange. It stays that colour if overpainted, but if left to weather it turns a soft pink colour.

• Greenie 1

I have an old picture somewhere of my Jp3 in the mid seventies before it was reconditioned and installed, the block was plant yellow and the heads bright red! I believe it was originally installed in a humber keel and was manufactured in 1956.

Of course the Lister green thing is a bit of a myth as you could have a variety of colours. Having stripped dozens of them to bare metal I know that, from new, they could be grey, olive drab, light blue, yellow, black and every shade in between. Only yesterday I picked up a 1952 JP2M that has been maroon from new. So paint it whatever colour you like. Red flywheel ? Not unless you want half the forum to hunt you down ?

IMG_20200306_125655203_HDR.jpg

3 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

Of course the Lister green thing is a bit of a myth as you could have a variety of colours. Having stripped dozens of them to bare metal I know that, from new, they could be grey, olive drab, light blue, yellow, black and every shade in between. Only yesterday I picked up a 1952 JP2M that has been maroon from new. So paint it whatever colour you like. Red flywheel ? Not unless you want half the forum to hunt you down ?

IMG_20200306_125655203_HDR.jpg

Oooohhh...thats got the duplex fuel filter on the front crankcase door....never seen that before!...not that im sad or anything....and is that a big pulley behind the flywheel?