Historic Narrow Boat Club (HNBC) AGM in Whittington Tomorrow is Cancelled.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My own version when fixing boilers is "It's working now so It's time to stop mending it." if a customer starts on the "while you are here" stuff they didn't mention on the phone, during the manically busy peroiods.

E.G. "Can you service it too please while you are here?", after I've packed up my tools and written out the bill.

Ahh the "can you just take that branch off" after all the gears back in the van

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Quoted the wrong person, sorry

7 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Well I for one really appreciated them making the decision. I know it won't have been an easy decision to make and it had to be done early enough to ensure people didn't travel the sometimes long distances they do to get to that meeting. That meant they will have been watching the progress of the virus and having to try and predict what the situation might have been today.

Considering the how the  "gnosall lurgy" took most of those attending that particular banter it was probably a sensible move

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Same with Covid 19 I believe.

Yes, according to the BBC nobody dies directly from Covid19, they die from pneumonia, induced by the later stages of Covid19.

I still get the feeling the govt is not telling us something about Covid19. The degree of concern about it does not marry up with the mildness of symptoms the meeja keeps telling us about.

Then a couple of days ago that bloke who was first in the UK to have it was on the radio. He described his illness going through three stages, him seeming to return to good health briefly between each stage. First he said is was indistinguishable from a normal cold, which got better only to return as pretty bad flu', which also got better and then returned as a bout of pneumonia. Once that cleared up he was fine, it was nothing like the meeja and the govt have been telling us.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I didn't see any panic buying in Sainsburys this afternoon either.

No panic buying in our local Sainsbury's because most of the shelves were already empty. Not a single toilet roll or tissue left in the store.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I didn't see any panic buying in Sainsburys this afternoon either.

I keep hearing about a shortage of bog rolls as they are made in China. 

My local Co-Op has piles of Andrex on special offer, £3.99 per pack of 9 rolls. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

No panic buying in our local Sainsbury's because most of the shelves were already empty. Not a single toilet roll or tissue left in the store.

It's weird innitt. Full shelf of toilet rolls int Co op this afternoon. 

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

It's weird innitt. Full shelf of toilet rolls int Co op this afternoon. 

See post 32. 

I'm wondering if some sharp-as-a-knife buyer at Co-Op bought in an absolute TONNE of bog rolls the instant he heard the rumour. Now having flooded the market they can't shift them.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Quorum boat designed by committee.

Hudson boat designed by man with inability to change ideas.

Springer boat designed by man observing gasometer. 

Actually you are wrong....

This, which sold relatively recently, and now moors where we do, is a Steve Hudson build...

1686-01.jpg

... it has a very "normal" shape, and I am much taken by it - it is a very attractive boat, with no faux rivets.

It is clearly an "early Hudson", before he developed the style he ended up building.

The only question I have is why on earth did he think the change of approach was a good idea!

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Ah, gotcha....also known as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Ah but it wasn't broke, t seems, but he apparently still couldn't resist "fixing" it!

Edited by alan_fincher

9 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

It's not the government deciding, its the nature of the beast. Mortality rates start to rise from about age 55.To a large extent, this seems to be a function of co-morbidity: it's more likely to kill patients who also have diabetes, heart disease, lung problems etc etc. and people start to get those things in increasing numbers as they get older.

Now you can argue that making people work who are more likely to have such things is wrong too, and I wouldn't argue otherwise. But younger people get ill too: probably best to distinguish between sickness benefits and pensions and not make the later take the place of the former.

MP.

Life expectancy increases with age.

18 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Actually you are wrong....

This, which sold relatively recently, and now moors where we do, is a Steve Hudson build...

1686-01.jpg

...and a lovely engine too.

He changed welders in the late 90s and between Mr Hudson and the new welder, pushed the frontbend further in and up.

Handsome chap at the back end too eh...!

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Handsome chap at the back end too eh...!

Well obviously, although it does look like you have somebody else's boat on cross straps.

I never thought I would be saying this of an 'udson, but that boat does look more than a bit special to me.  The sort of thing I might own when I finally switch back to something sensible!

Edited by alan_fincher

11 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Life expectancy increases with age.

Taken literally that's a terrifying thought - at 30 I had about 45 years left, and now I'm 54 I've got about 80 to go! :help::blink:

It is of course true however, at 54 my life expectancy is to make it to 81, so on average I won't live to the age my father is now. My father is 86 and expected to make it to 91, because for an 86 year old all those who didn't make it that far are no longer in the figures.

I will add again however, I think we get very alarmed at things that will kill the elderly (which includes my dad) and not concerned enough about things that will kill those under 75 and especially those that will kill very young children. Something will get you in the end, life has a 100% mortality rate

10 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

But more slowly than real-time. Which is possibly fortunate, as otherwise we'd end up tripping over people.

MP.

Birthdays are also good for long life, the more you have the longer you live

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I will add again however, I think we get very alarmed at things that will kill the elderly (which includes my dad) and not concerned enough about things that will kill those under 75 and especially those that will kill very young children. Something will get you in the end, life has a 100% mortality rate

Indeed, my parents are 82 and 89 and in a couple of weeks are off on a European river cruise (they do several of these a year  because my father is still a working musician on some of the cruises). They are fully aware of the risks, but prioritise the pleasure the cruise will give them more than they fear the risk of dying from corona virus.

On 06/03/2020 at 18:51, alan_fincher said:

Just in case anybody who might have been going has not yet seen this by any other route....

URGENT: AGM Postponed *

Unfortunately we have had to take the decision to cancel this Saturday’s AGM in light of the Coronavirus outbreak.

I initially resisted doing this but having watched BBC news channel all afternoon it is clear that the situation is deteriorating more rapidly. Indeed one of our committee has been in contact with someone who has been advised to self isolate. Bringing together a group of people, many of whom are in the most vulnerable category, is not a good idea. The medical situation nationally has moved today from ‘containment’ towards ‘delay’ and medical experts are advising people not to congregate in large groups and to avoid shaking hands or being too close.

Whilst this may be seen as an over-reaction it is a reasonable precaution as our meeting is not critical at this time and no-one will be hurt if we postpone it.

We will reschedule the AGM once we have seen what the trajectory of this virus is likely to be. Please refer to the blue band on the website for latest update.

Thank you for your understanding. I hope to see you later in the year.

Regards, Phil

I thought beards filtered out the virus? 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1