Best tv aerial

Welby1965

Featured Posts

A lot of people don't realise there are horizontal & vertical polarisations.  They use their aerial horizontal all the time and wonder why they don't get a good signal. The Omnimax and similar roof mounted aerials work with either configuration. Horizontal signals generally come from main transmitters & vertical signals come from less powerful repeaters.  I've found that Log Periodic aerials are the best type but even they work better if you get the polarisation correct. I always look at the local houses & not other boats to get the polarisation correct. If you are in the remote locations try both polarisations to optimise the signal.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

My approach is simply to point it in the same direction as other aerials in the vicinity. 

My approach is to moor in remote places.  No aerials to see.  IN any case, with my digidome, I don't have to worry about pointing it anywhere.

1 hour ago, churchward said:

We use a log periodic about a metre long.  Easy to stow away and has been OK much more often than not. We have cruised southern, midland canals and now NW and Wales extensively.  We have a signal strength meter which sometimes helps but looking at where local houses are pointing their aerials is often just as effective.

A metre??? Jeeez.  My thingy is about 15cm.

27 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It also helps to know roughly where the transmitters are in the first place!

Of course. We have an app and a gadget that beeps louder when you’re pointing the Ariel in the general direction. In Banbury at present. Pointed Ariel in direction of others. Tuned telly. You then get a choice of Oxford or Birmingham. Tried both and no difference to quality. BBC is a bit dodgy. Always has been. ?

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

...but it wont work as well as a log periodic (£10) once 30-40Km from the mast.

We have only lost a signal twice in 7 years, both in notorious blackspots (the cape in Warwick being one). Several friends have reported similar results. 

3 minutes ago, BWM said:

We have only lost a signal twice in 7 years, both in notorious blackspots (the cape in Warwick being one). Several friends have reported similar results. 

Yes, the cape is useless for even log periodics. We do the Warwick to Braunston run a lot and at the top of stockon between willow wren and the Boat is pretty difficult for these 'small' antennas (we have tried a number) whereas a log periodic is doable. You are beaming up to NE Birmingham and it is 40Km to Sutton Coldfield so it can be a bit marginal for the small antennas. We use a moonraker when the signal is good.