Inline filter for bilge pump

clendee

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, clendee said:

Hi,

I notice our bilge pump has a filter on it before the water outlet.

Can anyone tell me what this is for and where I might get a replacement?

Thanks for your time.

The filter is normally on the water 'input' side to filter out the lumps before they get into the pump.

Filtering the water between the pump and the canal would be 'unusual'.

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

RCR have been pushing filters to remove oil from bilge water. Maybe it gives them more work if the filter blocks and the boat sinks

Ok, I thought is may have been to remove oil, but I wasnt sure.  I dont feel like mine is working any more and I dont want to be sending oil out, any idea where I could pick one up.  A quick ebay search has shown one in the US and Italy.  Ideally I'd like to find one here in the UK.

23 minutes ago, clendee said:

Ok, I thought is may have been to remove oil, but I wasnt sure.  I dont feel like mine is working any more and I dont want to be sending oil out, any idea where I could pick one up.  A quick ebay search has shown one in the US and Italy.  Ideally I'd like to find one here in the UK.

Is actually an oil-filter (oil catcher) ?

If so try contacting RCR.

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/other-services/bilgeaway-filter/

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/2019/03/19/river-canal-rescue-launches-bilgeaway/#.XmKENW52vIU

Ten and 20 inch filters are available in plastic, chrome and stainless steel (the latter two for larger cruisers and yachts) and prices start at around £150 for the filter and £35 for the cartridge. RCR recommends filter cartridges are replaced annually or twice yearly if the vessel’s heavily-used. Bilgeaway has a three year warranty.

The area of the bilge where the pump is mounted should not contain any oil, i.e. it should be separate to the area under the engine.

So why would you need an oil filter?  I bet over 99.9% of boats do not have a filter on their bilge outlet.  Just a bit of marketing and extra profit for RCR.

7 minutes ago, dor said:

The area of the bilge where the pump is mounted should not contain any oil, i.e. it should be separate to the area under the engine.

So why would you need an oil filter?  I bet over 99.9% of boats do not have a filter on their bilge outlet.  Just a bit of marketing and extra profit for RCR.

In a world where boats of all ages may have a bilge pump sitting under an engine in a cruiser stern wet bilge, it;s not always going to be clear water. Pretty rarely. Always thought filter was on inlet side. Anything fine enough to filter oil prob wouldn't be able to put through the liquid volume needed. The filter is just for clag that would wreck the pump? If that's the case it needs to be stopped from getting in, not trapped and stopped from getting out.

22 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

In a world where boats of all ages may have a bilge pump sitting under an engine in a cruiser stern wet bilge, it;s not always going to be clear water. 

But that would be a BSC fail.  There can’t be many canal boats that haven’t had the engine bilge separated, and anyone not bothered about keeping their wet bilge free of oil isn’t going to be bothered if some of their oil gets into the canal.

I find that my small bilge area does suffer a small amount of contamination from grease that sometimes finds it's way inwards through the stern tube packing. I usually ignore it, on the basis that the rest of the daily grease has already entered the canal through the stern tube bearing anyway.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, dor said:

But that would be a BSC fail.  There can’t be many canal boats that haven’t had the engine bilge separated, and anyone not bothered about keeping their wet bilge free of oil isn’t going to be bothered if some of their oil gets into the canal.

Thats what I thought but it seams if you have a filter you can. I might look it up later

On 06/03/2020 at 19:33, ditchcrawler said:

Thats what I thought but it seams if you have a filter you can. I might look it up later

Not according to the guide. 

9.1.1 states that the engine bilge must be separate from the main bilge. 

9.1.2 states that if the bilge pump can pick up oily water it must have an oil filter (or words to that effect) but doesn’t preclude the requirement of 9.1.1. 

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

On 06/03/2020 at 19:10, dor said:

I agree. If you've got oil getting to your engine room bilge pump that's the first thing to sort out. The pan under the engine should be stopping oil getting to the pump but often the trouble is all that grease spilling out of the stern gland and the greaser. 

On 06/03/2020 at 19:21, Keeping Up said:

I find that my small bilge area does suffer a small amount of contamination from grease that sometimes finds it's way inwards through the stern tube packing. I usually ignore it, on the basis that the rest of the daily grease has already entered the canal through the stern tube bearing anyway.

Horrible things. I'd never go back to one of those dirty, polluting contraptions.