Sunk boat at Sunbury lock

Dave123

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Steel boats of any description are - in Thames time - a fairly recent occurrrence 

I worked on two different 90ft riveted steel Thames passenger steam boats from the 1890s. I guess that's still recent in Thames time - whateverthat means? Is Thames time different from ordinary time?

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Ah, but, yes, but - the context here is about steel boats and implied use for leisure.

You did say steel boats of any description... 

Edited by blackrose

This all makes sense...A lock keeper said as much on Facebook regarding this, that it suddenly became necessary to clear the boat from the weir. Scary though...And still baffles me that boats try and spend the whole winter 'cc'ing ' the Thames on towpath/non flood safe moorings. Been quite a lot of incidents this winter on the Thames and other rivers which will hopefully be a wake up call.

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

The Thames can be very deep in places although most around there is 8-13 foot in the middle.

Shepperton there are places over 20 foot deep according to my echsounder. One place was > 30 foot (scour from below weir).

But yes, agree, not deep enough there.

There are some curious deep bits around halliford bends I had 25 foot depth on the sounder round there. Possibly a bomb crater. I suspect above Sunbury Weir it's about 8-10ft depth. That's why they have closed the lock approach I suppose as the top of the submerged vessel could be as little as a couple of feet below the waterline. 

Quite a serious hazard for anyone navigating in the area unless very well marked with buoys which are definitely staying in place. 

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Probably, the cruiser doesnt seem to have done much damage to the roof. 

EA have just issued a notice to advise that the sunken boat has been removed and Sunbury lock is now back in service, but is presently on manual operation as there is a problem with the power system. That is being attended to asap.

Tam