Thames water levels

Bewildered

Featured Posts

We are planning to do the Thames from Oxford to Redding this spring but we obviously don't want to do it with strong currents. Our plan was to head down to Oxford for the beginning of April, however due to the excessive rainfall this year we are now wondering if we may have to leave it longer.

So my question is, when does the collective wisdom of the forum think the Thames is likely to be back on green boards again?

• Greenie 1

We did that trip at the end of last summer, coming back (just) before the rain began at the end of October. We are still on the river in the Oxford area. It has calmed down a bit in between the storms, and during the 1st week of Feb most reaches between Oxford and Reading were either on yellow decreasing, and some on no warnings. But... the channel above Osney lock and under Osney bridge is very shallow and narrow and has been on red since Nov 1st last year. Folly bridge just a bit further south is quite a bottleneck too, as long as Osney has some weir open it really speeds through there.

Once the Osney-Godstow section is off red then the rest of the river (at least down to Reading) I should think will be safe. We are hoping the next 2-3 weeks will finally give the land a chance to drain and get the river towards more normal levels! But this winter has certainly taught me not to get my hopes up ? There are still quite a few submerged fields around the city.

Keep an eye on gaugemap if you haven't found it already, and use the river levels downstream of the locks. Unfortunately the flow meter at sutton courtenay popped it's clogs in November....

Edited by GrahamSop

once the trees and things start growing in spring a lot of water gets sucked up by them...And the warmer weather helps evaporation, and even if it still rains a bit there is more surface run off. I have already had to change plans and head further west on the K&A to Bristol instead of back onto the Thames...?