Ebac Dual Feed Washing Machines

The Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

So I'm buying a boat for use as a CC liveaboard.

Looking at the options I'm considering the merits of getting a British made Ebac hot and cold feed washing machine.  Using the hot water that you get for free when cruising on most narrowboats anyway it would reduce the washing time, wear and tear and amp hours expended.

Opinions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ebac&rh=n%3A908798031%2Cn%3A3618681%2Cp_89%3AEbac&dc&qid=1583170419&rnid=1642204031&ref=sr_nr_n_8

My biggest worry would be “All Ebac models have digital controls 

We've heard from many a boater that their electronically controlled w/m doesn’t like running off an inverter, even good inverters such as Victron and Mastervolt. 

Perhaps the Ebac will prove to be the exception...

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Captain Fizz said:

looks like a good machine, especially the 10 year extended warranty.

You may struggle to get an engineer to come out to you on the cut should you require one.

The listed warranty seems to vary depending on where you look but their website is quoting 7 years.  Also... who are these snowflake engineers who will not countenance stepping foot on a towpath? Name and shame ;)

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

We've heard from many a boater that their electronically controlled w/m doesn’t like running off an inverter, even good inverters such as Victron and Mastervolt. 

I believe there is a 60 day money back guarantee... but I agree, it would be a complete arsehole if they were that sensitive.

• Horror 1

3 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Also... who are these snowflake engineers who will not countenance stepping foot on a towpath? Name and shame ;)

Any of them who have read the T&Cs of the guarantee, I bet. 

12 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

The listed warranty seems to vary depending on where you look but their website is quoting 7 years.  Also... who are these snowflake engineers who will not countenance stepping foot on a towpath? Name and shame ;)

We've never had a problem getting an engineer to call, it's just that they usually send the largest one they have.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'll also suggest that as soon as you mention 'boat' that it'll not be 'approved' or have a warranty for boat use.

John Lewis have no problem with if being on a boat and happily sold us an extended warranty on a washing machine, after checking with the provider it was ok.

13 minutes ago, pearley said:

We've never had a problem getting an engineer to call, it's just that they usually send the largest one they have.

John Lewis have no problem with if being on a boat and happily sold us an extended warranty on a washing machine, after checking with the provider it was ok.

Is that the manufacturer warranty? Or the John Lewis warranty?

The thing is, there WILL be exclusions, if only to prevent domestic washing machines being installed in launderettes or other unconventional situations, and guarantees being claimed on when the machine gets beaten to death in three months.  

I suspect if you starterd making it awkward for the guarantee engineer to get to you, e.g. by being a mile-long trudge up a muddy towpath they would pretty soon be declining to fix, citing boat installation not covered. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

John Lewis extended warranty which is actually carried out by 0800 REPAIR.

But our previous Zanussi had a manufacturer extended warranty, that we made use of a few times.

We've always gone to great lengths to ensure we are moored as close to parking as possible to make life easier for any engineer.

19 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

hot and cold feed washing machine.  Using the hot water that you get for free when cruising on most narrowboats anyway it would reduce the washing time, wear and tear and amp hours expended.

Opinions?

You can fit a mixer before the cold feed on any washing machine if you so desire.

Some people have fancy controlled circuits that switch from hot for filling to cold for rinses. 

Some people have a thermostatic valve set permanently to 30 or 40 degrees and do all washes and rinses using warm water.

Some people pour jugs of hot water into their detergent drawer when the machine is filling.

On 02/03/2020 at 18:59, WotEver said:

Wot he said. 

Likewise for popty-pings. 

Edited by reg