Fairline 19

Jasper

Featured Posts

Hello, New to this site, but have a sterring problem with my boat. The steering cable has snapped inside the steering housing. It appears to be a cable which has stretched and snapped. Is there anywhere where I can get a replacement cable type, or do I have to buy a new steering kit and cable complete? The boat is a fairline 19, 1976 (ish) and a Honda 6 hp outboard. Any hlep would be great!

Sounds like a Teleflex. If so then cables are available yes. 

Does the steering box look like this? 

s-l400.jpg

Coincidentally one of my boats is a Fairline 19. Bought it last year as it was more or less being given away. 

it's got nothing in it just a shell which appears to never have been fitted out.

Really nice little boat that is. 

Or is the steering on yours a wrapped cable type with a cable that looks like washing line and pulleys on the corners at the back of the boat. 

Honda 6 if it's the old type twin cylinder thats a lovely outboard. I'm going to do electric on mine but if I was going for Petrol the Honda 6 twin would be at the top of the list of preferred outboards. 

Edited by magnetman

• IMG_6979.JPG.18954fbcddc00851fbb1b702310c74d9.JPG

Hello Magnetman, Thanks for the reply. I've called in a my local boatyard, and they say that the steering box is now not made. I an hoping that just the cable will repair this. Can you buy different sizes of the teleflex cable?

Great little boat, giving hours of joy!

Yes that is an owd one. If you can get a new helm and cable, which if i was i would for sake of £50 or so, infact i have a few cable here here that you can have for a tenner if you want to collect ionefrom Radcliffe near Bury. What length you need though ?

Captain Faffer :)