heating a small GRP cruiser (viking 23)

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Noted on the cabling but how long is one 110ah leisure battery going to run a blown air heater for? 

From experience in the caravan world, not long. That is why it is recommended not to use the fan when not on hook-up.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But it is a BLOWN air system - no fan - no workee.

I think (could be wrong) that’s what Graham meant - don’t use ‘it’ if not on hookup. 

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

From experience in the caravan world, not long. That is why it is recommended not to use the fan when not on hook-up.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think (could be wrong) that’s what Graham meant - don’t use ‘it’ if not on hookup. 

I read that as use the heater but do not switch the fan on.

In a blown air heater the fan is integral to the heater.

If he had said "do not use the heater unless on 'hook-up'" I'd agree with you.

22 hours ago, WotEver said:

Correct.
In plain english:

If you are not on hook-up then do not use the fan.

Alan does seem to like picking holes.

Edited by Graham Davis

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

How can you use it without the fan? surly its fan or nothing

Not the caravan type heaters, they can be convector, so the heat only comes out of the front of the actual unit, or fan assisted so generally through air pipes around the van,

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How can you use it without the fan? surly its fan or nothing

13 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Not the caravan type heaters, they can be convector, so the heat only comes out of the front of the actual unit, or fan assisted so generally through air pipes around the van,

The discussion was / is about the propex heaters which are BLOWN AIR heaters, there is no convector option.

For the heater to work it must have the fan on (there is no option to turn it off)

There is no 'front of the actual unit' it is a sealed box with an air inlet and a flue outlet.

PROPEX HEATER 12V HS2000 LPG GAS CARAVAN CAMPER HEATSOURCE BLOWER SINGLE OUTLET

PROPEX-HEATER-12V-HS2000-LPG-GAS-CARAVAN-CAMPER-HEATSOURCE-BLOWER-SINGLE-OUTLET

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROPEX-HEATER-12V-HS2000-LPG-GAS-CARAVAN-CAMPER-HEATSOURCE-BLOWER-SINGLE-OUTLET-/302594164108?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The discussion was / is about the propex heaters which are BLOWN AIR heaters, there is no convector option.

For the heater to work it must have the fan on (there is no option to turn it off)

There is no 'front of the actual unit' it is a sealed box with an air inlet and a flue outlet.

PROPEX HEATER 12V HS2000 LPG GAS CARAVAN CAMPER HEATSOURCE BLOWER SINGLE OUTLET

PROPEX-HEATER-12V-HS2000-LPG-GAS-CARAVAN-CAMPER-HEATSOURCE-BLOWER-SINGLE-OUTLEThttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROPEX-HEATER-12V-HS2000-LPG-GAS-CARAVAN-CAMPER-HEATSOURCE-BLOWER-SINGLE-OUTLET-/302594164108?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Blimey I was right for once :clapping::clapping:

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not at all - it is simply realising what product we are talking about does not do what you suggest it does do.

Attention to detail !

In fairness to Graham, you were all talking about blown air heaters but my original request was about ANY form of heating for the boat - well, short of setting it on fire....

That said, I was also confused by Graham's response as I didn't know there were gas convection heaters - I do now...

8 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

That said, I was also confused by Graham's response as I didn't know there were gas convection heaters - I do now...

I did not know either (and neither does Google)

I'd be interested to see a gas powered heater which has a 12 volt fan which complies with the BSS.

If one can be shown, I'll stand up and apologise to Graham -

But I still maintain that the discussion was all about Propex heaters - gas convection heaters had not been mentioned when you asked the question :

On 04/03/2020 at 11:00, magpie patrick said:

Noted on the cabling but how long is one 110ah leisure battery going to run a blown air heater for? 

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd be interested to see a gas powered heater which has a 12 volt fan which complies with the BSS.

The standard Truma caravan gas heaters can be run with or without a fan.

They also specifically need a hole in the floor vertically below them, up to 235mm x 200mm which is probably why they state not suitable for boats!

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The standard Truma caravan gas heaters can be run with or without a fan.

They also specifically need a hole in the floor vertically below them, up to 235mm x 200mm which is probably why they state not suitable for boats!

They can also be vented vertically, as the one is in my 'van, and in many other vans.
And I'm sure I have seen one mounted in a boat.

13 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

They can also be vented vertically, as the one is in my 'van, and in many other vans.
And I'm sure I have seen one mounted in a boat.

Not according to Truma.  See P15:

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-heating-s3004-s5004-installation-de-en-fr-it-nl-dk-se.pdf

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

I'd suggest having a look under the caravan next time you get a chance.  There is a whacking great hole below your heater as well as the roof vent above it.

My bit on the Propex HS2000, good bits of kit, i run one on my 20 foot cruiser and also fitted some to customer boats, and they all love it  I have used it over winter a lot and its spot on, when running its using 1.4amp when the fan is on, so not a lot as thermo kicks in when its needed so very little used when on standby, They are fairly easy to fit aswell which is good if your ok with DIY. and for electric just need to wire to a fused point. And not bad a price as i can find them for £630 with the marine kit. Best bit is they are safe for boats as room sealed so no worries on the BSS.  

Captain Faffer :)