What oil.

andrewbridget

Featured Posts

Hi. 

I have a Perkins Prima 65 engine.

For the life of me I cannot find out what engine oil to use. There are so many varients and I do not wish to clog her up .

2003 Perkins. Apparently they were originally built for the meastro van .

Has written 15/40 on my engine book but then crossed it out so..... any advice appreciated. 

Andrew. 

Subject to correction by others....

10/30 is usually semi-synthetic and Beta Marine said no-way for my 1903.

15/40 is mineral and what they recommend - methinks that applies for other makes of a similar engine. Probably cheaper as well?

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Subject to correction by others....

10/30 is usually semi-synthetic and Beta Marine said no-way for my 1903.

15/40 is mineral and what they recommend - methinks that applies for other makes of a similar engine. Probably cheaper as well?

The API CD/SE tells you what to use,

C = use in Diesel engines

D = the level of cleaning agent in the oil

Oils are 'backwards compatible' so where it says 'not less than CD/ SE in the manual you could use CF /  SF, SG etc, but not 'lower' than CD/SE

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Wow. That's exactly the info I needed. My manual does not have that page Alan but you alongside Ian. Thank You very much.

And your right. I could not find the CD grading. Was on ebay but needed it asap.

I had bought semi synthetic and quickly returned it for the mineral oil 15/40.

Thank goodness. Best wishes to you guys.

A. 

What sort of boat do you have - Its a big engine for an Inland waterway boat

Engine
Number of cylinders................................................................................................................................................................................... 4
Cylinder arrangement..........................................................................................................................................................................In line
Cycle..........................................................................................................................................................................................Four stroke
Induction system:
M65 engine..................................................................................................................................................................... Naturally aspirated
M85T engine...........................................................................................................................................................................Turbocharged
Combustion system...............................................................................................................................................................Direct injection
Nominal bore....................................................................................................................................................................97,0 mm (3.82 in)
Stroke.............................................................................................................................................................................100,0 mm (3.94 in)
Compression ratio.............................................................................................................................................................................. 17.5:1
Cubic capacity................................................................................................................................................................. 2,9 litres (183 in3)
Firing order..................................................................................................................................................................................... 1, 3, 4, 2
Valve tip clearances (cold)..............................................................................................................................................0,35 mm (0.014 in)
Lubricating oil pressure (maximum engine
speed and normal engine temperature) ................................................................................................... 420 kPa (61 lbf/in2) 4,3 kgf/cm2
Capacity of a typical lubricating oil system: (1)
- includes oil filter..........................................................................................................................................................9,4 litres (16.5 pints)
- sump only......................................................................................................................................................................9 litres (15.8 pints)

If you PM me your email address I'll send you the manual.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The API CD/SE tells you what to use,

C = use in Diesel engines

D = the level of cleaning agent in the oil

Oils are 'backwards compatible' so where it says 'not less than CD/ SE in the manual you could use CF /  SF, SG etc, but not 'lower' than CD/SE

Whilst it probably doesn't matter in this particular case, I would be wary of that final statement.

It is very definitely the case that in many engines, such as old Listers, where API CC is specified that you should not use a "higher" specification like API CF.

This is precisely why outfits such as Morris deliberately blend oils to the "obsoleted" spec.  If it were perfectly acceptable in al cases to substitute a "higher" spec, they wouldn't bother to be manufacturing the "lower" one.