Webasto Header Tank lid / Cap

Featured Posts

Hi Thank You reading

I'm looking for a replacement pressure cap for my Webasto Thermo top C header tank .... Went over the side before I bought the boat ...Honest.... ? No joy on eBay ...just the whole thing for £99.00

Any after sales equivalent that will fit ??

Thank you again

Andy

errrr, there is a whitish plastic reservoir in a cupboard, missing a lid, should I be worried?

My Webasto heater [rads] works, as does hot water.

Edited by LadyG

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

errrr, there is a whitish plastic reservoir in a cupboard, missing a lid, should I be worried?

My Webasto heater [rads] works, as does hot water.

Is it connected to your heating system? You say lid, the OP is talking about the pressure release/filler cap for the Webasto pressurised system not a lid, slightly different. Has the reservoir got  fluid in it? I've seen the white lid type on older systems and quite a few have been missing the lids with no issues to the running of the system.

Edited by PD1964

41 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Is it connected to your heating system? You say lid, the OP is talking about the pressure release/filler cap for the Webasto pressurised system not a lid, slightly different. Has the reservoir got  fluid in it? It should obviously be higher then the system it feeds.

I've seen the white rectangle water reservoir filler tanks with a flat lid that just sits on top on older central heating systems, these have been replaced with the pressure release expansion type tanks now.

Yes, I realised it could not be the same thing, but I had previously assumed it was something to do with Webasto, but not sure as there is a calorifier and a stove with a back boiler. It is higher than most things. I was not sure what to top it up with, I'll have a nose around tomorrow and start a new thread. I was top of class in engineering in College, it was a very small class, and a very long time ago.

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I realised it could not be the same thing, but I had previously assumed it was something to do with Webasto, but not sure as there is a calorifier and a stove with a back boiler. It is higher than most things.

Is your Webasto and back boiler running/heating the same system ie: raidiators, hot water? As it sounds like it's the tank that gravity feeds the back boiler system.

The webasto could of been added at a later date, with the back boiler being the boats original source of heat for your radiators, the webasto just plumbed into the existing pipe work later and keeping the original gravity fed tank used for the back boiler. 

Edited by PD1964

24 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Is your Webasto and back boiler running/heating the same system ie: raidiators, hot water? As it sounds like it's the tank that gravity feeds the back boiler system.

The webasto could of been added at a later date, with the back boiler on the fire being the boats original source of heat for your radiators, the webasto just plumbed into the existing pipe work later and keeping the original gravity fed tank for the back boiler.

OK, the back boiler has one small independant rad, and heats the calorifier, so it needs water to top up the square white reservoir, and stick a lid on it?

The Webasto has two big rads and also the calorifier., 

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OK, the back boiler has one small independant rad, and heats the calorifier, so it needs water to top up the square white reservoir, and stick a lid on it?

The Webasto has two big rads and also the calorifier., 

The white reservoir may have a min/max level on, if your system is bled and all the air is removed you obviously don't want it full of water/ coolant as you need room for expansion once up and running. The lids are just that and if it's the kind I think it is they just sit on top, so you could do without as you have been, but please remember any liquid in there will be hot once the system is running and needs room for expansion.

The webasto side of things will have it's own pressurised expansion tank like the OP's with min/max level marks and a pressure release screw cap. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

My Webasto doesn't pressurise the header tank and works fine with or without the screw top on. I think it depends on if the system is built in the modern 'better' way as a sealed system which does pressurise and needs an pressure expansion tank, or the old fashioned simpler way now called  'open vented' where the header has to be higher than the boiler and have sufficient space to allow the water to expand into but does not pressurise it. Simpler it has been around for centuries (ever since fire driven hot water in Roman times),  less to go wrong, no risk of a pipe bursting and squirting hot water or steam at you, less strain on joints, etc. I am not convinced there is any advantage in the newer 'modern' system.