Window leaks

Featured Posts

I have two windows that appear to leak. It seems Depending which way the wind blows. 
Ive removed the inner wooden frame but the wood seems wet on top of the wood see pic. 
some of the screws around the window was loose. How tight should they be. Tight as you can get it or just till it bites. 
The rear windows leaks more than the one at the front of the boat. 
BE3688AA-890B-48B0-8720-BB5CB4370739.jpeg.759d0b5c5e76a31a1f3d92a643c1cffd.jpeg

I would suggest that you take the whole window out, clean, de-rust, treat and paint the area below the frame and then refit with either a closed cell "rubber" gasket or the mastic strip sold for the job. Note that runs in the cabin side will push the frame away from the cabin side and cause leaks. How tight the screws should be depends upon  what type of sealer you use but if it is "gunned" around the frame I would suggest two stages. First tighten until it oozes out all round. Then allow to set, the tighten further.

PS as the photo seems to show leaks along the top maybe apply many applications of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure to the outside and wait for better weather. The widow is likely to be out for several days if rust has set in.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks Tony. 
just looked at the photo again and it looks misleading those drips are condensation we stayed on the boat last night. 
Typical I took the wood frame out yesterday to watch when it rained and it didn’t leak. 
It’s just the wood bit where the frame screws too got wet if that makes sense. 
But yes I think when it’s better weather the window needs coming out cleaning and resealing. 

5 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

Thanks Tony. 
just looked at the photo again and it looks misleading those drips are condensation we stayed on the boat last night. 
Typical I took the wood frame out yesterday to watch when it rained and it didn’t leak. 
It’s just the wood bit where the frame screws too got wet if that makes sense. 
But yes I think when it’s better weather the window needs coming out cleaning and resealing. 

You may find that the insulation is lacking above the window, as the better ventilation without the frame in place would have a drying effect or that the leak is elsewhere and the inner frame is catching and diverting the water.

8 minutes ago, BWM said:

You may find that the insulation is lacking above the window, as the better ventilation without the frame in place would have a drying effect or that the leak is elsewhere and the inner frame is catching and diverting the water.

That’s what I’m thinking leek somewhere else. 
the wood is quite wet now. 
64109D48-AD0B-4DE5-A688-5BBB3805E303.jpeg.5cb434714f1e951099059ae8420387be.jpeg

2 hours ago, rustydiver said:

some of the screws around the window was loose.

Are these screws that go in from the outside, through the window frame, cabin side plating and into the wood liner? If so I suggest you remove the screws in turn, put a little sealant (e.g Stixall from Toolstation) in the hole and reinsert the screw until it is reasonably tight. That should stop any rain which is coming in through loose screws.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Are these screws that go in from the outside, through the window frame, cabin side plating and into the wood liner? If so I suggest you remove the screws in turn, put a little sealant (e.g Stixall from Toolstation) in the hole and reinsert the screw until it is reasonably tight. That should stop any rain which is coming in through loose screws.

The screws go from inside the boat. The windows have a bracket on the inside as you screw them in it pulls the frame to the side of the boat. 

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Roof vent to roof joint?

Looked at that. It’s quite dry. Seems just condensation damp. But I’ve put some paper towel up there between the roof and insulation. When we come back in a few weeks if that’s soaking then could be it. 
that’s if we have any more rain ?

4 hours ago, rustydiver said:

That’s what I’m thinking leek somewhere else. 
the wood is quite wet now. 
64109D48-AD0B-4DE5-A688-5BBB3805E303.jpeg.5cb434714f1e951099059ae8420387be.jpeg

It never fails to amaze me how far water from a leak can travel within the lining of a boat, should be possible to locate it by deduction.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is the accommodation bilge dry, if not the water evaporating can add to the "normal" condensation.

Thanks Tony.

Could be. 

Funny enough I checked the inspection hatch under the bed a few weeks ago and it was bone dry. But will check again next time we are there. 
ive got pots and cloths out to catch trace water while we are not there. won’t be back for a few weeks. 
it could be like a leak we have on our roof at hone only happen occasionally when the wind blows in a certain direction but we have never found it.