Boat rescue just got a lot harder....

frangar

Featured Posts

It would appear from Facebook that the boat that was stuck on the barrier at Barrow bridge has now sunk after the barrier gave way....I really feel for the chap...what was salvageable doesn’t look like it is now. 

22746301-949B-40D5-A822-3F9FA02F2453.jpeg.8a503286ee8aa4acbda5806732b9030f.jpegA82BAA69-161E-463A-ADA0-0A1D0A8147B3.jpeg.095d17e2e1ae0d0973b1bdd16f4c0960.jpeg

Edited by frangar
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I see there is still no 'no entry' sign on the R/H arch. Maybe there is a course of action for the owner there.

It came free overnight a couple of weeks ago when the chap was on it....given the layout of the moorings & the river there I doubt he had much say in what arch he was heading for....must have been rather scary. 

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

It came free overnight a couple of weeks ago when the chap was on it....given the layout of the moorings & the river there I doubt he had much say in what arch he was heading for....must have been rather scary. 

I can imagine, especially if he hadn't enough time to start the engine and set up tiller etc. Anybody know why it became free?

As regards it being recovered, isn't it blocking navigation? I would have thought that would be high priority for CRT  (cough).

Edited by Rambling Boater

46 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I can imagine, especially if he hadn't enough time to start the engine and set up tiller etc. Anybody know why it became free?

As regards it being recovered, isn't it blocking navigation? I would have thought that would be high priority for CRT  (cough).

If I recall from FB, the river flood swept the whole mooring away while he was asleep.

1 hour ago, billS said:

It kinda begs the question why someone didn't saw through the barrier whist the back end was still afloat. - or was the back end aready under?

Would you have asked a couple of chaps to go into that fast flowing river and cut the barrier simultaneously both sides of the boat so both sides gave way at the same moment so 12 ton of boat crashed down between them. Yes he has lost his pride and joy, maybe even a lot of money, but no one was injured or died

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Would you have asked a couple of chaps to go into that fast flowing river and cut the barrier simultaneously both sides of the boat so both sides gave way at the same moment so 12 ton of boat crashed down between them. Yes he has lost his pride and joy, maybe even a lot of money, but no one was injured or died

You are probably right. Sawing is probably too dangerous anyway, on the basis that the boat might topple. Attaching a rope to the barrier using grappling hooks and pulling it off the stanchions from the opposite bank would probably have been a better option.

Edited by billS

2 minutes ago, billS said:

The river desn't look particularly fast from the photographs, so it may have bee possible to get close with a dinghy. Sawing probably is too dangerous though, on the basis that the boat might topple. Attaching a rope to the barrier and pulling it off the stanchions from the opposite bank would probably have been a better option.

Are you familiar with that part of the Soar?? The flow through that bridge can be interesting even when it’s not in flood...with the flows we have had recently I wouldn’t want to be near it. 

There is generally a fairly strong current through Barrow bridge. Whilst water levels have gone down the Soar is still in flood and with the rain overnight and this morning likely to remain so for another few days. The boat is blocking the navigation arch but no one should be moving. I would not expect any attempts will be made to raise the boat until the levels have dropped.

Just now, frangar said:

Are you familiar with that part of the Soar?? The flow through that bridge can be interesting even when it’s not in flood...with the flows we have had recently I wouldn’t want to be near it. 

Not in flood, so I take the point about going into the river, but grappling hooks could be deployed from the bridge.

4 minutes ago, billS said:

Not in flood, so I take the point about going into the river, but grappling hooks could be deployed from the bridge.

The Soar was most definetly in flood yesterday at Sileby Mill. It was over a foot above navigable levels. I would not be boating in the current conditions and I know the river well.

It looks like the rails collapsed on the upstream side of the boat causing it to roll over. It won't be easy to refloat from there. I very big crane may be needed set up on the road off the bridge.

Edited by Richard T

3 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

It was attached to scaffold poles, when the river rose up it took his ropes over the top of the scaffold.

This is what I was told, sounds plausible. 

59 minutes ago, Rickent said:

It was attached to scaffold poles, when the river rose up it took his ropes over the top of the scaffold.

This is what I was told, sounds plausible. 

Someone on Facebook (who said they knew the owner) said the whole mooring got swept away. If that was the case I imagine the mooring provider's insurance would be responsible? Or do they have clauses in accepting no liability? If, on the otherhand, his ropes slipped over the poles I guess it's a different story??‍♂️?