Observation and monitoring in Marsworth???

RufusR

Featured Posts

Interestingly since the original email nothing has been heard from crt . No follow up email which is usual for things such as this nor does anyone at CaRT seem to know about it . Something odd and sneaky going on I think unfortunately:-( 

if it closed not sure we can stay on the mooring too far to cruise for pump out every fortnight as only have weekends for that 

2 hours ago, RufusR said:

Interestingly since the original email nothing has been heard from crt . No follow up email which is usual for things such as this nor does anyone at CaRT seem to know about it . Something odd and sneaky going on I think unfortunately:-( 

if it closed not sure we can stay on the mooring too far to cruise for pump out every fortnight as only have weekends for that

?????

If nobody in CRT knows about it, who put the stoppage notice on their site then?

Marsworth Pump out and Elsan closed, Grand Union

Detail

From Date: 11/03/2020 00:00

To Date: 27/03/2020 23:59 inclusive

Type: Advice

Reason: Information

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Grand Union Canal

Starts at: Marsworth Junction CSF

Ends at: Marsworth Junction CSF

Description

Please be advised that the pump out and elsan at Marsworth will be closed for a period of two weeks commencing Wednesday 11 March until Friday 27 March 2020. This is to allow monitoring and investigation to be undertaken.

The water tap and bin area will remain open

1 minute ago, sirweste said:

The description definitely makes it seem like it's some sort of sewage issue... but why they'd need 2 weeks to investigate I don't know

It certainly sounds that way - if it was just complaining house dwellers they would close the bins and the tap too.

2 weeks is probably long enough that even the most retentive householder will have to go to the loo during that time, so if no boats are disposing of sewage and there is a continued leak it's not the services causing it. 

I do have to wonder if the leak is still there after this monitoring whether they will disconnect the house sewers for a fortnight but let boats use the services ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I do have to wonder if the leak is still there after this monitoring whether they will disconnect the house sewers for a fortnight but let boats use the services ...

Hahaha

I seem to recall, but haven't got the time to go looking for the detail, that a householder was claiming some years back that sewage was getting into somewhere it shouldn't be.  I want to say into their domestic water, but that sounds so ridiculous, I'm not sure it could have been that.

Certainly this looks like something that has (allegedly) been claimed to be happening in the past has not (allegedly) gone away. 

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I seem to recall, but haven't got the time to go looking for the detail, that a householder was claiming some years back that sewage was getting into somewhere it shouldn't be. 

If they are still using the original Victorian plumbing I think that is highly likely. The Victorians were good at bricks and steam but not so hot on the plumbing.

29 minutes ago, Detling said:

If they are still using the original Victorian plumbing I think that is highly likely. The Victorians were good at bricks and steam but not so hot on the plumbing.

This Victorian was pretty good at plumbing and removing waste...

JosephBazalgettePortrait.jpg

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

This Victorian was pretty good at plumbing and removing waste...

JosephBazalgettePortrait.jpg

He surely was  What a system he built . Anyway re CaRT not knowing I agree someone sent email but everyone I have spoken to at CaRT since knows nothing nor has the email been repeated as the clock ticks down , which is usually the norm in situations such as this . Nor is there any notice on the facility. Odd very odd 

On 07/03/2020 at 17:37, RufusR said:

Notices now up on facility . 

CRT must have been reading this thread?

On a slightly related note...I have heard rumours the elsan in Berko in the garden of the old mill pub is actually still functioning and available for use despite having been removed from official maps etc...anyone know anything more about this? Berko is one of the biggest gap in the country in facilities in terms of cruising hours to the next...

On 28/02/2020 at 11:18, Rambling Boater said:

Some people contact someone directly who may know something.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/boat-licence-customer-support-team/contact-your-local-officer

That link will probably break now!

I see one of the contacts for the Leicester section is Paddy McGinty - does he have a goat ?

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

CRT must have been reading this thread?

On a slightly related note...I have heard rumours the elsan in Berko in the garden of the old mill pub is actually still functioning and available for use despite having been removed from official maps etc...anyone know anything more about this? Berko is one of the biggest gap in the country in facilities in terms of cruising hours to the next...

Short story - the pub is responsible/un-responsible for the elsan.

Long story is that CRT can't manage selling off of land with a long term view that respects boaters needs.

Edited by Guest