Observation and monitoring in Marsworth???

RufusR

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

Some people contact someone directly who may know something.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/boat-licence-customer-support-team/contact-your-local-officer

That link will probably break now!

BTW, I agree the ‘help line’ is pretty much hopeless having used it a few times. Nice people at the other end, but you end up repeating everything twice and even then on at least 3 occasions I got no further response. It’s basically a layer protecting those responsible from us irresponsible boaters. ;)

Sometimes it works. Last summer we were coming up Leeds Lock and the electrics packed up and we couldn't open the gates. Rang to 0300 number who put me through to the "local office". Well it couln't have been more local, the person on the end of the phone looked out of their window and said "oh yes, I can see you" So we waved at each other and she called someone out to fix the lock.

I usually get looks of contempt when I'm emptying there, or filling with water. The looks tend to be more contemptuous when I've left the engine running, which I normally do as I run the washing machine when taking on water.

Anyway, would be very interested what the actual reason for temp closure is.

If it's removal of the facility that will be a real bugger as the next pump out isn't until Cow Roast when heading south.

7 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I usually get looks of contempt when I'm emptying there, or filling with water. The looks tend to be more contemptuous when I've left the engine running, which I normally do as I run the washing machine when taking on water.

Anyway, would be very interested what the actual reason for temp closure is.

If it's removal of the facility that will be a real bugger as the next pump out isn't until Cow Roast when heading south.

There is a sign on the block advising engines off while using the facilities. 

Could be, but then they'd be closing the water point too I'd have thought.

They've asked a couple of times if I would switch the engine off, both time's I've explained the situation and told them that there x minutes until the wash has finished, which they've been fine with. I'm not there for very long after all.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe it is such antisocial behaviour that has led to the current situation.

Also I find it best not to speculate, lets wait until we know the facts

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe it is such antisocial behaviour that has led to the current situation.

"I don't want to follow the requests, therefore I'll ignore them"

It's not anti social behaviour.

It's boats doing what boats do and the boats were there first.

My request would be to foxtrot oscar off and live somewhere far, far away from any canal if you don't like boats!

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Fat Boat said:

Definitely crt the spelling of facilities is incorrect lol 

14 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is it a CaRT sign or one put up by the miserable sods who buy a house next to a canal and then whinge about boats using it?

Sign out there as result of whinging residents iirc . You see this everywhere 

1. Townies move to village in cottage next to the church then start legal action to get church bells removed 

2. Townies move to village which has a farm then starts campaign to stop smell from farm . How dare the cows shit !

3. Townies move to village canal side location next to long standing serviced and then start action to remove service point due to boats and boaters using it .

que sera sera 

59 minutes ago, RufusR said:

Sign out there as result of whinging residents iirc . You see this everywhere 

1. Townies move to village in cottage next to the church then start legal action to get church bells removed 

2. Townies move to village which has a farm then starts campaign to stop smell from farm . How dare the cows shit !

3. Townies move to village canal side location next to long standing serviced and then start action to remove service point due to boats and boaters using it .

que sera sera 

There have been some very smart new houses built next to the church where my wife rings.

The sales literature made it very clear that the bells would be rung for an hour on Tuesday evenings and half an hour on Sunday mornings and such other times as required.

Still waiting for someone to complain though!  

11 minutes ago, dor said:

There have been some very smart new houses built next to the church where my wife rings.

The sales literature made it very clear that the bells would be rung for an hour on Tuesday evenings and half an hour on Sunday mornings and such other times as required.

Still waiting for someone to complain though!  

I wonder if sales lit for the weirdo sheds at Marsworth mentioned they were built next to a service point where sewage was emptied at all times of day and boats queue for service ? I am thinking maybe not though it is pretty obvious. What did the purchasers think went on at a pump out station and elsan ? Family picnics ? 

On 27/02/2020 at 21:23, Markinaboat said:

you could always leave a little present or two in bags on the quay!

Probably why they are monitoring this site. Please don't ecourage this sort of behaviour. Some people won't get your jokey comment and think you are serious.

There was only ever an Elsan and water point there. The new pump out was built at the same time of the houses. The developer CRT would have been well aware that boats would need to moor in front of the houses to access the facilities. CRT then removed the mooring rings that had always been there on the wharf just to make things easier. They must  have known this would lead to conflict. 

12 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

There was only ever an Elsan and water point there. The new pump out was built at the same time of the houses. The developer CRT would have been well aware that boats would need to moor in front of the houses to access the facilities. CRT then removed the mooring rings that had always been there on the wharf just to make things easier. They must  have known this would lead to conflict. 

I wonder if anyone raised it with Mr Parry at Aylesbury today

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder if anyone raised it with Mr Parry at Aylesbury today

Doubt he knows anything about it , Most people ion CaRT don’t seem to ( or at least claim not to ) except I guess whoever sent the email notification 

47 minutes ago, RufusR said:

Doubt he knows anything about it , Most people ion CaRT don’t seem to ( or at least claim not to ) except I guess whoever sent the email notification 

My experience is that whilst hd might big know about it, an email to him certainly gets the local office to respond or act quickly.

44 minutes ago, pearley said:

My experience is that whilst hd might big know about it, an email to him certainly gets the local office to respond or act quickly.

Has your auto-correct spellchecker made some bad decisions for you?

Unlikely, as presumably "big" should have read "not"?

8 hours ago, Tuscan said:

There was only ever an Elsan and water point there. 

I think there used to be rubbish disposal there too, but they moved it down to the next bridge when the houses were built.

Presumably the pump out and water point had to stay where the plumbing and drains are.

Edited by David Mack

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

I think there used to be rubbish disposal there too, but they moved it down to the next bridge when the houses were built.

Presumably the pump out and water point had to stay where the plumbing and drains are.

No,

Other way around.

The refuse bins were at a bridge furter North, but when the Marsworth Yard site was redeveloped for housing, and the new service block (including the pump out) were built the refuse was moved to the same location.