Observation and monitoring in Marsworth???

RufusR

Featured Posts

Hey 

just got an advisory from CaRT that pump out and Elsan in maffers will be closed for 2.5 weeks from 11 March for “observation and monitoring “ anyone know wtf that means ? I have an orrible feeling it is s precursor to closure due to minging from resident incomers of luxury kondos near by . If so real case of church bells scenario ie jumped up yuppies buy house next to 800 year old church then try and get church bells shut down as they are “noisy” 

as a boater who has a Marsworth residential mooring and a pump out this is as bit worrying . Anyone know what this is Really about ? 

Monitoring sounds like perhaps it's been tampered with. Maybe there is a way to get around the payment card system and CRT want to know who it is that is bypassing it. 

If I remember right it's by where the BW offices were by the junction with the Aylesbury so it could be related to residents as that has since turned into flats I believe . 

Not been through there for ten years myself which is too long. 

Edited by magnetman

9 hours ago, RufusR said:

Hey 

just got an advisory from CaRT that pump out and Elsan in maffers will be closed for 2.5 weeks from 11 March for “observation and monitoring “ anyone know wtf that means ? I have an orrible feeling it is s precursor to closure due to minging from resident incomers of luxury kondos near by . If so real case of church bells scenario ie jumped up yuppies buy house next to 800 year old church then try and get church bells shut down as they are “noisy” 

as a boater who has a Marsworth residential mooring and a pump out this is as bit worrying . Anyone know what this is Really about ? 

Has anyone on the Marsworth residential moorings tried asking CRT? They should explain why it's closed seeing as you are customers and will be inconvenienced.

Otherwise you'll probably just get speculation.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Rambling Boater said:

Has anyone on the Marsworth residential moorings tried asking CRT? They should explain why it's closed seeing as you are customers and will be inconvenienced.

Otherwise you'll probably just get speculation.

And you'll have nothing to go on.

(Nurse. Fetch that man's coat!)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

I suspect the bigger problem from the residents' point of view is that there is so little official mooring space for the services, that when its busy, queuing boats moor directly in front of the houses.

I bet this is the root of it. Complaints from householders about boats queuing in front of the houses and running engines whilst waiting.

The observing and monitoring is to see if closing the facility gets rid of the nuisance to householders. 

That's funny as a marsworth moorer I have not received any notification. Another boater checked with crt who said nothing to do with them 

Please can you say who you received this notification from or at least post the text 

Edited by Fat Boat

5 minutes ago, Fat Boat said:

That's funny as a marsworth moorer I have not received any notification. Another boater checked with crt who said nothing to do with them 

Please can you say who you received this notification from or at least post the text 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/17202-marsworth-pump-out-and-elsan-closed-grand-union

46 minutes ago, Fat Boat said:

C'mon - get real.

Do you really expect C&RT's left hand to know what the right hand is doing.

They don't do anything 'joined up' least of all talking to each other.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

C'mon - get real.

Do you really expect C&RT's left hand to know what the right hand is doing.

They don't do anything 'joined up' least of all talking to each other.

Same as any large organisation.

Amuses me the way peeps seem to think the person on the phone they got by chance ought to know everything about all CRT are doing, just on a phone call to one random member of staff. 

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Amuses me the way peeps seem to think the person on the phone they got by chance ought to know everything about all CRT are doing, just on a phone call to one random member of staff. 

Are C&RT still using that 0300 number that goes to a call centre somewhere ?

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Some people contact someone directly who may know something.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/boat-licence-customer-support-team/contact-your-local-officer

That link will probably break now!

BTW, I agree the ‘help line’ is pretty much hopeless having used it a few times. Nice people at the other end, but you end up repeating everything twice and even then on at least 3 occasions I got no further response. It’s basically a layer protecting those responsible from us irresponsible boaters. ;)

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The map on this notice suggests the canal is affected all the way up to the second lock of the main Marsworth flight. Unlikely I would have thought!

The email sent out is (unsurprisingly) titled thus....

Advice notice: Grand Union Canal, Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Marsworth Junction CSF
Ends At: Marsworth Junction CSF

Wednesday 11 March 2020 until Friday 27 March 2020 23:59

Type: Advice
Reason: Information

Original message:

Please be advised that the pump out and elsan at Marsworth will be closed for a period of two weeks commencing Wednesday 11 March until Friday 27 March 2020. This is to allow monitoring and investigation to be undertaken.

The water tap and bin area will remain open

Edited by alan_fincher

Last time I was there (about two years ago) a local CaRT man said that a local resident was complaining about sewer leakage and was trying to get the facility closed down. I assume the present shut down is to establish what is happening but I am surprised if the usual dye testing has not been conclusive.

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Last time I was there (about two years ago) a local CaRT man said that a local resident was complaining about sewer leakage and was trying to get the facility closed down. I assume the present shut down is to establish what is happening but I am surprised if the usual dye testing has not been conclusive.

Dye testing is more commonly used to detect where waste water is getting into a drain rather than out of it. Proper investigations require methods such as CCTV and ground penetrating radar and pressure testing which take a while.

3 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Dye testing is more commonly used to detect where waste water is getting into a drain rather than out of it. Proper investigations require methods such as CCTV and ground penetrating radar and pressure testing which take a while.

I suppose it might be difficult to determine whether the waste is being dumped directly, or via a CRT facility. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sadly not even that. The call centre is manned by an agency contracted to provide a service to CRT and its customers. Recently the contract was up for renewal and a different company has taken it on ......... and increased the hours when it is open. However, whether the service has improved or deteriorated I'm not able to say.