Too heavy to float

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well it looks as even the experts can get it wrong when they design boats, this one in Spain is only 70 tons over the top https://o.canada.com/news/spain-builds-submarine-70-tons-too-heavy

It was only when I got got halfway through the story I realised it's from 2013. Did they stretch it? 

5 hours ago, dmr said:

If its too heavy now its going to right in trouble in a few years time when it gets a bit of oveplating done.

.............Dave

Funny you should say that. I was wondering if they should email Kedian. He would prolly stretch it by 12ft for about £20k, which should sort out the problem a treat.

Plus docking charges, obvs......

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Funny you should say that. I was wondering if they should email Kedian. He would prolly stretch it by 12ft for about £20k, which should sort out the problem a treat.

Yeah, but he would insist on fitting a side hatch at the same time and the sea would leak in.

................Dave

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BilgePump said:

It was only when I got got halfway through the story I realised it's from 2013. Did they stretch it? 

It would appear so, from Wikipedia:

"In May 2013, Navantia announced that a serious weight imbalance design flaw had been identified which will delay the delivery of the first submarine to the Spanish Navy until possibly 2017.[15] Lengthening the submarine created additional buoyancy.[16] Navantia signed on the US company General Dynamics Electric Boat to help solve the excess weight.[17] In September 2014, the detected overweight was reported to have been resolved and the construction work to be ready to resume in late October 2014.[18] In November 2014, Navantia again reported having completed the redesign work to address the problem of overweight. In all, the hull will be lengthened by seven metres, and the displacement increased by 75 tons. As of January 2018, the intended delivery date of the first submarine is September 2022"

• Greenie 1

I recall Spain buying a Harrier VTOL during the early 70s

During a naval review in front of Franco they landed it on their wooden decked WWII carrier.

It didn't stop until it reached the bilges.

Around that time they had a German U Boat they had confiscated 30 years previously after its crew scuttled it up a beach.

It joined the Spanish Navy as its only submarine. During its new life it never once went back under, nobody was quite sure how it worked or was brave enough to give it a try.

It just poddled around in circles on important days.

• Haha 3