EE Limited time 60gb & unlimited calls/text £20

reg

Featured Posts

Just renewed my EE data contract and got a decent deal, whilst looking I stumbled across this limited time offer, was almost tempted but decided to stick with what I've got. Might be of use to others though. 

60gb data

Unlimited calls

Unlimited texts

18 month plan

Details and link here

https://www.techradar.com/uk/sim-only/ee-sim-only-deals

Or directly

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

Edited by reg

Those EE deals (in the link you provided) dont look that good. 60Gb for £20. We took out a deal last summer for 500Gb/month for IIRC£45/m. It came with a router as well but I have dumped that and just put the sim in my own router.

I also have a '3' unlimited sim for £20 so I can usually get at least one of them with a good signal - but as I have said previously the '3' sim is usually much inferior to the EE one with much lower speeds (using 'speedtest'). I tend to us the EE one 99% of the time.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Those EE deals (in the link you provided) dont look that good. 60Gb for £20. We took out a deal last summer for 500Gb/month for IIRC£45/m. It came with a router as well but I have dumped that and just put the sim in my own router.

I also have a '3' unlimited sim for £20 so I can usually get at least one of them with a good signal - but as I have said previously the '3' sim is usually much inferior to the EE one with much lower speeds (using 'speedtest'). I tend to us the EE one 99% of the time.

I have a Plusnet sim in my phone which uses the EE network, and a Virgin Media sim in my mifi router, which uses the EE network.

The Plusnet Sim in the phone gets 22Mbps upload, and the Virgin Media sim transmitting to the same phone wifi gets 9Mbps.

The mifi is connected to an external aerial, so you would expect a better signal.

Looks like Virgin get a throttled service from EE.

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I have a Plusnet sim in my phone which uses the EE network, and a Virgin Media sim in my mifi router, which uses the EE network.

The Plusnet Sim in the phone gets 22Mbps upload, and the Virgin Media sim transmitting to the same phone wifi gets 9Mbps.

The mifi is connected to an external aerial, so you would expect a better signal.

Do you have a 4G phone and a 3G mifi?

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you have a 4G phone and a 3G mifi?

No. 4G phone and 4G mifi/router

The mifi is actual Three's home router which happily provides 40-50Mbps with a Three sim in it, so its nothing to do with the router, nor to do with the signal between router and phone..

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Virgin used to throttle their PAYG sims data speed by half.

we tried a virgin payg sim and a virgin contract sim in the same phone / location etc and the results were always that the pay monthly sim got double the speed of the payg sim

we always assumed it was down to billing update intervals from EE to virgin and virgin trying to prevent PAYG customers getting more than they paid for (which obviously doesn't matter on a pay monthly customer since it will just go on the bill)

On 27/02/2020 at 19:23, Richard10002 said:

Today was chatting in a EE shop and they confirmed that not all 3rd party providers will give the same service and speeds as EE will. Seems its all down to how the deals are made between the different partners. That is pretty much how I thought it worked so had no difficulty in believing it. 

Edited by reg

Noticed today that Superdrug are offering unlimited data, calls, texts for £20/month, with no contract.

Don’t know the details on tethering etc, but might be worth looking at if you are after unlimited access.

20 minutes ago, dor said:

Noticed today that Superdrug are offering unlimited data, calls, texts for £20/month, with no contract.

Don’t know the details on tethering etc, but might be worth looking at if you are after unlimited access.

I'm not sure I can get my pins in next to the local Superdrug to take advantage of this.

2 hours ago, dor said:

It is utilises 3 network. Also allows tethering:

https://help.superdrugmobile.com/en/articles/1778302-can-i-tether-and-create-a-personal-hotspot-on-superdrug-mobile

4 hours ago, dor said:

I might have a look at this, like the idea of no contract.if it doesn't pan out then only one month lost.

Just purchased another 1 month Giffgaff £12 goody bag which I'm pretty happy with so will have to wait a few weeks before trying the Superdrug deal.

Failed on my EE upgrade as I no longer  have a driving licence or a passport so was unable to take delivery of new router, long story but I want to go contract free if at all feasable and practical. Had enough of contracts.

I'm on O2. 100gb of data and unlimited calls and texts for £20. I was on Vodofone before, unlimited data, calls and texts for £25 but I didn't like dealing with Vodofone when I needed to call customer services as you go through to Egypt or India and they're useless.

10 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

For those who use less data Smarty (Three network) do 30GB plus unlimited calls and texts for a tenner a month.

Very timely. Looks good enough to give it a go. Will read the pdf in full.  I vowed not to take out another contract, but this looks on the surface to be straight forward.

I'm still trying to extradite my self from my current contract even though I'm at the end of my 2 years, 5 or 6 calls to service desk and 2 visits to the store and it still looks like I am on their default end of contract terms which is a rolling 1 month contract. As with almost all phone contract terminations it's never straight forward, certainly a place in the market for a company that doesn't deliberately set traps and hidden financial penalties. 

5 hours ago, reg said:

Very timely. Looks good enough to give it a go. Will read the pdf in full.  I vowed not to take out another contract, but this looks on the surface to be straight forward.

I'm still trying to extradite my self from my current contract even though I'm at the end of my 2 years, 5 or 6 calls to service desk and 2 visits to the store and it still looks like I am on their default end of contract terms which is a rolling 1 month contract. As with almost all phone contract terminations it's never straight forward, certainly a place in the market for a company that doesn't deliberately set traps and hidden financial penalties. 

I've just ordered mine. I'm not a heavy user of data, maybe 10-12GB a month. Previously I'd bought a new card each month, Three was around 14 quid for 12GB or Vectone (EE) was around the same price for 20GB. I use a dongle rather than a phone to tether. Tethering uses more power and many suppliers restrict it anyway. Anyway this saves me a couple of quid and saves the hassle of ordering a new sim each month.   

7 hours ago, reg said:

I'm still trying to extradite my self from my current contract even though I'm at the end of my 2 years, 5 or 6 calls to service desk and 2 visits to the store and it still looks like I am on their default end of contract terms which is a rolling 1 month contract.

Don’t tell me... Vodafone?

8 hours ago, reg said:

I'm still trying to extradite my self from my current contract even though I'm at the end of my 2 years, 5 or 6 calls to service desk and 2 visits to the store and it still looks like I am on their default end of contract terms which is a rolling 1 month contract.

I have changed mobile service providers 5 times over the last 12 years, including to and from Vodaphone, O2 and EE  and those piggybacking on their networks.

Each time I have asked for a PAC to keep my number and given this to the new mobile service provider. Never had a problem, or been without my old number for more than 3 or 4 days (during which time I have used the number of the new providers SIM until the old number has been ported across).

8 hours ago, reg said:

Giffgaff

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

I have changed mobile service providers 5 times over the last 12 years, including to and from Vodaphone, O2 and EE  and those piggybacking on their networks.

Each time I have asked for a PAC to keep my number and given this to the new mobile service provider. Never had a problem, or been without my old number for more than 3 or 4 days (during which time I have used the number of the new providers SIM until the old number has been ported across).

Problem I have is that I didn't want to cancel to move to another provider as I intended to go payg only. Tried to continue with current provider but don't have a passport or driving licence so can't prove to their satisfaction that I exist, this despite having 2 previous 2 year contracts with them with new tablet and data only. Have now requested and obtained a stac number and hope that invoking this elsewhere will terminate, as it should, my current contract. Fingers crossed. 

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Giffgaff

No I do also use payg Giffgaff on my basic 'drop in the water' phone, no real problems with Giffgaff as not tied to any contract.