New Engine Cost

harleyj

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

+ fitting!?

Our beta was green and slightly underpowered for our 57 footer (unless the prop was all wrong)

57 minutes ago, Boaty Jo said:

+ fitting!?

Our beta was green and slightly underpowered for our 57 footer (unless the prop was all wrong)

Fitting?  How long is a piece of string.

First question is:  will it be replacing an identical/similar unit?

Second question is what sort of boat is it?

5 hours ago, harleyj said:

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of price for a Beta 38 New Engine.

Hav'nt had to have a new engine fitted (mercifully) but a fellow moorer has.

With a new gearbox,+ removal of old engine,fitting new engine,new engine mounts,lining up etc. he had little change out of £10K!

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Hav'nt had to have a new engine fitted (mercifully) but a fellow moorer has.

With a new gearbox,+ removal of old engine,fitting new engine,new engine mounts,lining up etc. he had little change out of £10K!

Sound about right, maybe a bit more in many cases.

These are prices for the green ones which are more common in narrowboats

http://www.nickthorpeboatbuilding.com/prices.asp

When we bought our Beta 43 about 6 years ago, replacing our worn out Perkins MC42, it was almost universal for Beta to offer significant discounts to any trade purchaser such as a boatyard; it would have been senseless to pay the quoted retail price. In our case the discount to the boatyard more than paid for all the fitting costs, and our total bill was about £8k for engine, gearbox, exhaust, etc.

53 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Our boat is a semi-trad and we have a Beta 37. 18 years old, old enough to drink which is what it has done!

6 minutes ago, harleyj said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Our boat is a semi-trad and we have a Beta 37. 18 years old, old enough to drink which is what it has done!

Strewth mate - you have narrowboats in Aus?? (silly me, Beta do salty stuff as well...)

However unless your boat's a cruiser and used a lit the enines should last 'forever'. My 50 lasted for 10 years i=until bits at the front fell off - but there was never any increase in fuel consumption.

Please explain to a poor Pom...

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Don't make the mistake of assuming footprint compatibility! 

About five years ago we replaced our engine in our then boat having accepted a quotation from a very reliable boat yard. We had a lengthy debate with them about which engine to go for (the previous was Beta 35/8) but there were some benefits from an alternative. In the end we stuck with Beta on the basis that it would be simpler replacement process - after all, Beta don't change very often do they? That decision was then factored in to their quotation.

However, when they started to lift the new engine into place they realised that Beta had change its footprint, necessitating some nifty modification with a welding torch to modify the bearers!

One of the reasons that I am happy to say that these were one of the 'good guys' is that they made no attempt to charge us extra for what was their responsibility to check! All was well by the time we arrived back to collect our boat.

I fitted a Beta 90 in my barge in 2011 as a replacement for a nackered Perkins. Beta made up the engine mounts ("special feet") to my measurements and the new engine fitted in just right. 

Engine was £9k at the time. That's a naturally aspirated 3.8 before the turbo units took over. 

18 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Strewth mate - you have narrowboats in Aus?? (silly me, Beta do salty stuff as well...)

However unless your boat's a cruiser and used a lit the enines should last 'forever'. My 50 lasted for 10 years i=until bits at the front fell off - but there was never any increase in fuel consumption.

Please explain to a poor Pom...

Our boat is at Swanley Bridge Marina on the Llangollen. Somehow while on hard standing for the last 18 months(didn't come over in 2019, lost my brother & mother) water has got into motor. Only heard last night, waiting on insurance to see if they will cover it.

3 minutes ago, harleyj said:

Our boat is at Swanley Bridge Marina on the Llangollen. Somehow while on hard standing for the last 18 months(didn't come over in 2019, lost my brother & mother) water has got into motor. Only heard last night, waiting on insurance to see if they will cover it.

Aha, now I understand.

Beta are quite good - record wise - in matching their engine mounts. Just quote the WOC number which should be on a plate somewhere and they'll make up some new feet - if needed.