Real chips

LadyG

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Living in East London as I do I can honesty say that the once local delicacy of Jellied Eels is one of the most horrible things that I have ever eaten (Once)

I was given some to sample ..... had go to customer toilets, and I think the only thing I have refused to try was a seal's liver, it was not washed or anything......

Edited by LadyG

Just bought a cheap used 'George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine' in an experiment to cook sausages without making a mess. It's OK but leaves dents in the sausages. In the good ol' US of A they do grills with removable sausage shaped grill pans with individual fat drains, proper job. Always second best this side of the pond. 

4 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Just bought a cheap used 'George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine' in an experiment to cook sausages without making a mess. It's OK but leaves dents in the sausages. In the good ol' US of A they do grills with removable sausage shaped grill pans with individual fat drains, proper job. Always second best this side of the pond. 

Stick them in the air fryer.

Lovely crispy skins and all the fat drains away into the bottom of the pan.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Stick them in the air fryer.

Lovely crispy skins and all the fat drains away into the bottom of the pan.

They're not meant to have crispy skins

37 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, it's a chemical concoction.

I tend to agree, it's ok but if bringing the chips back home it's out with the sarsons 

52 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The non brewed of course its made for chips, hollinsend road drive past it twice a week don't think the chippy is still there?

Really? So you drive along Ridgeway Road past the church and the park? That was absolutely my home territory, I lived on Gleadless Avenue a few hundred yards up from there.The chip shop was down on the right past my old junior school (which apparently IS still there, and much extended). Some years ago I heard that it had become a "Chinese chippy", whether it's still operational I know not.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Really? So you drive along Ridgeway Road past the church and the park? That was absolutely my home territory, I lived on Gleadless Avenue a few hundred yards up from there.The chip shop was down on the right past my old junior school (which apparently IS still there, and much extended). Some years ago I heard that it had become a "Chinese chippy", whether it's still operational I know not.

My ladtyfriend used to live on Durlestone Avenue so it was my stomping area to ? I might have a butchers and see if its still there 

2 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Does it stir/turn them? 

It doesn't need to, it blasts the air all round the food. They are great bits of kit. 

Edited by mrsmelly

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Those "skins" , aka casings are invented by the devil, I'm sure some of them are plastic, spoil many a good sausage.

Not if you buy them from a proper butcher and they have natural skins!

All of our bacon and sausage comes from The Little Sausage Shop  in Oughtibridge, Sheffield. The pigs are raised on the farm, slaughtered less than a mile up the road in Grenoside and then butchered back on the farm. 

They are the best sausages and bacon we have found by far and not expensive either.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Our local butcher makes lovely tasting sausages but the skins are tough, especially when they have gone cold, almost inedible, I've gone back to Black Farmer or Heck. 

That's cos they are mass produced crap with synthetic skins. As Rachel says find a proper butcher and certainly not a poxy supermarket. Also ensure they are not gluten free muck unless you have a medical reason. 

Pig place here are proper sossiges with natural sheep or lamb skins. Also if the sossiges are always a perfect size they are mass produced crap. 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

That's cos they are mass produced crap with synthetic skins. As Rachel says find a proper butcher and certainly not a poxy supermarket. Also ensure they are not gluten free muck unless you have a medical reason. 

Pig place here are proper sossiges with natural sheep or lamb skins. Also if the sossiges are always a perfect size they are mass produced crap. 

Deffo a proper butcher, sausages vary in size, apart from that they do first class stuff especially their boiled ham, thick sliced and not boiled to destruction. 

• Greenie 1