Real chips

LadyG

Featured Posts

Worst fish and chips I've ever had were in Solihull and Macclesfield, perhaps its because they're a long way from the sea. A horrid soggy oily mess from Macclesfield. The girl in the Solihull shop hadn't even heard of cod, she kept saying ''we've only got fish'', she thought I'd gone mad when I refused mushy peas and gravy. Best I ever had was in Gt Yarmouth.

The best chips we have found  in the Uk are from the BCLM coal fired chippy.

The chippy at Handsacre is pretty good too, provided you have the appetite.  Be hungry,  be very hungry !

N

29 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

YES!!! Great Yarmouth market back in the '60s - big bag of chips and an equally large tub of jellied eels - best meal ever.

They are maybe not as good as your memory suggests. The fish and chips we had in Yarmouth market last year were utterly unmemorable, bland and boring. 

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They are maybe not as good as your memory suggests. The fish and chips we had in Yarmouth market last year were utterly unmemorable, bland and boring. 

In the sixties they will have been cooked properly in dripping, not this oil rubbish peeps tend to use today. They were a treat for us about once a month from the chippie on pasture road in Goole at 1/6 a portion, thats seven and a half pence to you. A shilling for the fish and a tanner for the chips. My missus paid one and a penny as in one shilling and one pence, that was 9 pence for the fish and four pence for the chips in Selby. ( proper pence )

Edited by mrsmelly

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In the sixties they will have been cooked properly in dripping, not this oil rubbish peeps tend to use today. They were a treat for us about once a month from the chippie on pasture road in Goole at 1/6 a portion, thats seven and a half pence to you. A shilling for the fish and a tanner for the chips. My missus paid one and a penny as in one shilling and one pence, that was 9 pence for the fish and four pence for the chips in Selby.

Bit more than that now!

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not arrf!! Have you sold the boat yet? I saw it was under offer.

It is still under offer but the chap buying it is having a few issues transferring money around so it will be a couple of weeks before he is ready to complete.

We are happy to hold it for him until the end of this month until he is sorted as it is a great no survey offer.

13 hours ago, bizzard said:

Worst fish and chips I've ever had were in Solihull and Macclesfield, perhaps its because they're a long way from the sea. A horrid soggy oily mess from Macclesfield. The girl in the Solihull shop hadn't even heard of cod, she kept saying ''we've only got fish'', she thought I'd gone mad when I refused mushy peas and gravy. Best I ever had was in Gt Yarmouth.

Many years ago I was on holiday in Whitby where the chip shop I bought from had a sign up saying 'Straight from the trawler to the fryer' but failed to mention how long it had been in the fryer, one of the worst take away meals ?

13 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I spent quite a bit of time working in Great Yarmouth in the mid-late 70s. At that time the market square had a number of stalls selling chips. For some reason I remember that they weren't allowed to sell fish so all the stalls sold tripe and chips. I gave them a miss and ate Thai instead in one of the restaurants nearby  - much tastier!

Howard

Edited by howardang

13 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

YES!!! Great Yarmouth market back in the '60s - big bag of chips and an equally large tub of jellied eels - best meal ever.

Living in East London as I do I can honesty say that the once local delicacy of Jellied Eels is one of the most horrible things that I have ever eaten (Once)

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is still under offer but the chap buying it is having a few issues transferring money around so it will be a couple of weeks before he is ready to complete.

We are happy to hold it for him until the end of this month until he is sorted as it is a great no survey offer.

Exellent, he will complete methinks as he's not a messer with surveys etc ?

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Exellent, he will complete methinks as he's not a messer with surveys etc ?

We are pretty sure he is not a time waster. He has left a decent deposit.

We could do with him hurrying up a bit though as we have found the ideal motorhome but don't want to leave a deposit on it until we have the money in the bank for the boat!!

14 hours ago, bizzard said:

I am shocked that Macclesfield disappointed, The chippy on Mill Lane was wonderful last few times I went there, queue around the block on a Friday.

It is a bit away from the canal so perhaps you were at another chippy?

15 hours ago, bizzard said:

Interesting comment about being a long way from the sea. I was brought up in the West Riding - the land of frying in beef dripping rather than oil, and also proper fish cakes - slices of potato with a slice of fish in between, battered and fried - yum!. When I started to get involved with Hull in the 1960's and subsequently married and moving to the outskirts, I was very disappointed by the standard of fish and chips offered. A large proportion of quality fish was shipped every day from the fish dock to points west, including the West Riding, and it by-passed the town, unless you were in the know and friendly with someone who worked on the fish docks, where you could then get a fry of wet fish for no more than 5/- which would feed a family of 5 or 6.   

Indeed, in those days what was the worlds largest fish and chip shop in Guiseley, Harry Ramsdens, was at that time taking delivery of a whole rail fish van nearly every day from Hull to satisfy the needs of the locals. It was one of my local fish and chip shop of choice as a lad.

In the 1970's my wife and I moved to Berkshire and  were appalled at the general standard "darn south" Thank goodness we are now back in GOC, where a telephone call to the Almighty is just a local call.:cheers:

Howard

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am shocked that Macclesfield disappointed, The chippy on Mill Lane was wonderful last few times I went there, queue around the block on a Friday.

It is a bit away from the canal so perhaps you were at another chippy?

I don't know which chippy it was, my cousin went to get them. This was around 1990.

Edited by bizzard

32 minutes ago, howardang said:

Interesting comment about being a long way from the sea. I was brought up in the West Riding - the land of frying in beef dripping rather than oil, and also proper fish cakes - slices of potato with a slice of fish in between, battered and fried - yum!. When I started to get involved with Hull in the 1960's and subsequently married and moving to the outskirts, I was very disappointed by the standard of fish and chips offered. A large proportion of quality fish was shipped every day from the fish dock to points west, including the West Riding, and it by-passed the town, unless you were in the know and friendly with someone who worked on the fish docks, where you could then get a fry of wet fish for no more than 5/- which would feed a family of 5 or 6.   

Indeed, in those days what was the worlds largest fish and chip shop in Guiseley, Harry Ramsdens, was at that time taking delivery of a whole rail fish van nearly every day from Hull to satisfy the needs of the locals. It was one of my local fish and chip shop of choice as a lad.

In the 1970's my wife and I moved to Berkshire and  were appalled at the general standard "darn south" Thank goodness we are now back in GOC, where a telephone call to the Almighty is just a local call.:cheers:

Howard

That will be a Yorkshire fish cake.

42 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That will be a Yorkshire fish cake.

That's what you youngsters call it nowadays; when I was a lad it was just a fish cake - anything else was a poor substitute, probably an invention from the effete South!

Howard

1 hour ago, howardang said:

That's what you youngsters call it nowadays; when I was a lad it was just a fish cake - anything else was a poor substitute, probably an invention from the effete South!

Howard

If you ask for a fish cake now you get a bright orange disc which has never seen fish.

Ask for a Yorkshire fishcake and you get a proper fish cake.

2 hours ago, howardang said:

proper fish cakes - slices of potato with a slice of fish in between, battered and fried

When I moved away from Sheffield agd 13 I was startled to find that there were other sorts of fishcake sold in chip shops. I had been used to those sold by Mrs. Furness at her chip shop in that fair city's Hollinsend Road, which were exactly as you describe. Mmm, I can taste them as I type - and the Littlewood's Non-Brewed Condiment, probably the best vinegar in the world, with which I anointed them.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

When I moved away from Sheffield agd 13 I was startled to find that there were other sorts of fishcake sold in chip shops. I had been used to those sold by Mrs. Furness at her chip shop in that fair city's Hollinsend Road, which were exactly as you describe. Mmm, I can taste them as I type - and the Littlewood's Non-Brewed Condiment, probably the best vinegar in the world, with which I anointed them.

It is strange how localised these things can be. I married a girl from East Yorkshire, and she had never heard of "proper" fish cakes. I had to take her to my old stomping ground to introduce her to them.  They have things called patties (the "t's are silent)  in most Hull chip shops. Strange things with mashed potato and sage in them.  They also have chip spice! Weird lot in the East Riding. I have been undertaking missionary work here on behalf of the West Riding for over 50 years and very little has rubbed off yet, but onward and upward!:wacko:

Howard

1 hour ago, Athy said:

20 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Non-brewed condiment is made in a factory where acetic acid is mixed with colourings and flavourings.

Vinegar is made by fermenting barley malt. I know which process I prefer!

The non brewed of course its made for chips, hollinsend road drive past it twice a week don't think the chippy is still there?

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The non brewed of course its made for chips, hollinsend road drive past it twice a week don't think the chippy is still there?

I luuuurv non brewed condiment it's not vinigar is it. We had fish and chips an hour ago sat int car in Ferrybridge. ?