Real chips

LadyG

Featured Posts

Homemade, peeled and cut, deep fried chips from a pan are great, if someone else makes them. But, I  don't fancy setting fire to the place.

Those Aldi crinkle cut chips in the oven done crispy are mine of choice.

Last time I went in the Whaley chippy was December and it was nice btw.

Try a sweet potato, sliced into wedges, bit of oil on, few chilli flakes, oven cook,, serve with salad and mayo

14 hours ago, Athy said:

But you don't need a chip pan - a valid consideration in confined spaces such as boat galleys.

My chip pan takes up far less space than the freezer I'd need if I started using oven chips.

12 hours ago, IanD said:

Or take a potato, cut it onto wedges (don't peel it!), toss in a bowl with some olive oil and salt/pepper/herbs/spices (as you choose) and cook in the airfryer. Takes less than 5 minutes prep, cheaper, healthier, tastes better, not from a frozen bag. What's not to like?

(unless you don't have mains or a big enough inverter...)

Olive oil on chips???????? Good grief.

I've never used an air fryer.  I'd barely heard of them before this thread.  Bearing in mind this thread is within the living aboard part of the forum, can all you air fryer users explain how you're producing the power needed to use them (1500w roughly) and how you justify the space they take up in your galleys?

20 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I was similarly surprised by a couple of references to anointing chips with mayonnaise. Do we have Belgians on the forum?

Unless I missed it, no one has yet mentioned that essential dressing for chips: vinegar.

56 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

My chip pan takes up far less space than the freezer I'd need if I started using oven chips.

Or any oil of your choice, as opposed to the unspecified industrial-quality gunge that frozen oven chips are impregnated with. Smear them with warmed beef dripping if you're from Yorkshire (like me) and want that genuine Tyke taste, or maybe whippet fat ?

51 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've never used an air fryer.  I'd barely heard of them before this thread.  Bearing in mind this thread is within the living aboard part of the forum, can all you air fryer users explain how you're producing the power needed to use them (1500w roughly) and how you justify the space they take up in your galleys?

I did point out that problem, mains hookup or a big inverter is needed. Justifying the space is like anything else on a boat -- how much use do you get out of it vs. finding a place for it. When it's not in use put it away in a cupboard like anything else you don't use all the time.

So not a solution for everybody, but damn useful if you like what it produces and can power it.

12 minutes ago, IanD said:

Or any oil of your choice, as opposed to the unspecified industrial-quality gunge that frozen oven chips are impregnated with. Smear them with warmed beef dripping if you're from Yorkshire (like me) and want that genuine Tyke taste, or maybe whippet fat ?

Phew!  Olive oil works pretty well in a salad dressing but it's mostly useless for cooking with.  The smoke point is too low and even where you're cooking at a lower temperature, its flavour overpowers whatever you're putting it on.

14 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

do you not have to semi boil the potatoes first?

Absolutely not!

7 hours ago, Slim said:

I've got an air fryer, they're rubbish. The only thing they're good for is cluttering up kitchins.

You can't be using it right or you have a rubbish one.

Air fried chicken is the mutts nutts.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

The national grid?

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Phew!  Olive oil works pretty well in a salad dressing but it's mostly useless for cooking with.  The smoke point is too low and even where you're cooking at a lower temperature, its flavour overpowers whatever you're putting it on.

Rapeseed oil is good for chips.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's easy. I flick a switch and the travel power comes on and I bought a 68 foot two berth boat with plenty of room int kitchen ?

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

True. 

8 hours ago, Slim said:

I've got an air fryer, they're rubbish. The only thing they're good for is cluttering up kitchins.

You must have a naff one? I was sceptical but another caterer told us they were good so we bought one. Superb for many things. 

Green bananas.  It really is hard to tell the difference and when I blind tested my son and his friend, they didn’t spot the difference.  Don’t try it with green shop bananas, it doesn’t work anywhere near the same I’m afraid.  Has to be fresh off the plant and straight into the fryer.  Haven’t tried it with dripping yet

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Most bog standard vegetable oil IS rapeseed oil these days, as olive or sunflower oils state it clearly.

Reading the visitors book in a very, very right on vegan organic supermarket in Chorlton, someone complained. "I have been asking for them to stock cold pressed organic rapeseed oil for weeks now, terrible service, I am not impressed "

I paraphrase because it was years ago but there was CAPITAL letters and underlining and everything, anyway it made me laugh

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Reading the visitors book in a very, very right on vegan organic supermarket in Chorlton, someone complained. "I have been asking for them to stock cold pressed organic rapeseed oil for weeks now, terrible service, I am not impressed "

I paraphrase because it was years ago but there was CAPITAL letters and underlining and everything, anyway it made me laugh

They should have gone to Aldi.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

In fairness, cold pressed organic rapeseed oil is a very different product to Tesco veg oil, and you can taste it.  

Think the difference between ordinary olive oil and extra virgin olive oil, first cold press only, no grinding or heating to get the rest of the oil out.  It's for salad dressing, not making biodiesel!

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

In fairness, cold pressed organic rapeseed oil is a very different product to Tesco veg oil, and you can taste it.  

Think the difference between ordinary olive oil and extra virgin olive oil, first cold press only, no grinding or heating to get the rest of the oil out.  It's for salad dressing, not making biodiesel!

I am sure it is, it was more the self righteous entitlement that was put into every word that amused. I imagine at the time cold pressed organic rapeseed oil wasn't exactly common 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. In an air fryer the oil isn't there to heat up the spuds or transfer heat from a hot pan, it's just there to flavour them and help give a crispy finish instead of a tough one -- and it also helps the salt/pepper/herbs/spices stick to the wedges instead of falling off. Use olive oil if you like it (trust me, it doesn't burn or smoke in an air fryer) or rapeseed, or plain vegetable, or duck/goose fat, or whatever you fancy -- I happen to like the flavour of olive oil, but I expect dripping is best for flavour (if you like it, obvs) ?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

On 28/02/2020 at 13:32, tree monkey said:

I am sure it is, it was more the self righteous entitlement that was put into every word that amused. I imagine at the time cold pressed organic rapeseed oil wasn't exactly common 

Was it signed Cresssida and Tarquin?

Peanut oil is used sometimes by chippers.