Real chips

LadyG

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Aldi crinkle cut are more to my taste. McCain are overpriced (as are most branded and heavily advertised food products).

Since I haven't got that particular set of genes I'll carry on with oven chips, wholemeal bread and not adding salt to my food (ever).

Fish and chips without salt!!! You need taking before the beak and transporting!! 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

17 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

yeah, its the amount of oil in chips am worried about.. plus leftover oil..

btw what do you do with leftover oil, keep it for next time or throw into diesel tank?

That's why we use an air fryer.

Only the very smallest amount of oil used to toss the potatoes in before they go into the air fryer.

Healthy and tasty.

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Never had much success with home made chips.However,the best bought fish and chips I have had came from "The Friary"in Whaley Bridge,a short walk from the end of the upper Peak Forest canal. 

Nope.

Best fish and chips are from the shack on Southwold harbour.

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Your a nut ?

Yep, they are a good kitchen gimmick that actually do a good job. Proper pork chops in the air fryer are awesome if you can buy em near you. 

Proper belly pork in the air fryer is even better :P

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

The best chips I've ever cooked were triple cooked using Heston Blumental's method.

Quite laborious, but worth it from time to time.

Having said that, we dont have a fryer these days, so it's oven chips every time.

I tried the Heston method.  The difficulty was that I couldn't closely control the oil temperature, which is crucial.  My chips came out quite good but not great.

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Never had much success with home made chips.However,the best bought fish and chips I have had came from "The Friary"in Whaley Bridge,a short walk from the end of the upper Peak Forest canal. 

We called there on last year's holiday following recommendations from this forum, and were underwhelmed. Chips were just OK (a bit soft and soggy, could have been more well-cooked and crisper), ditto fish (fish good, batter crisp but much too thick and with a doughy underlayer), I've had much better of both. Maybe they were having an off day...

18 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

yeah, its the amount of oil in chips am worried about.. plus leftover oil..

btw what do you do with leftover oil, keep it for next time or throw into diesel tank?

You need oil to lubricate joints, my sewing machine has had a new lease of life sinceI oiled it!

I keep  the oil in the pan.

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

We called there on last year's holiday following recommendations from this forum, and were underwhelmed. Chips were just OK (a bit soft and soggy, could have been more well-cooked and crisper), ditto fish (fish good, batter crisp but much too thick and with a doughy underlayer), I've had much better of both. Maybe they were having an off day...

Wait 'till you see a queue of customers.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You need oil to lubricate joints, my sewing machine has had a new lease of life sinceI oiled it!

I keep  the oil in the pan.

Wait 'till you see a queue of customers.

We were the only ones in there, it was quite late (7:30 or so) so chips might not have been the best, but the fish was freshly cooked while we waited.

19 hours ago, tree monkey said:

, I still remember the pan solid with dripping with the basket solid within it

This I remember too. When I was still quite small, it was one of my little household tasks to put the chip pan away after use. I had to wait until the dripping had solidified because replacing the pan in the cupboard where it "lived" required cocking it at an angle.

Then one day Mum switched to using oil. The first time she did so, I waited and waited for the oil to go hard so that I could put the pan away, but in vain. A new home had to be found for the chip pan because she hadn't taken into account that if the pan was cocked, the oil, being still liquid, would slop over the rim.

2 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Can't beat McCains Triple Cooked Gastro frozen oven chips, the fat that comes of them when cooking proves this ?

Have never understood why oven chips became so popular. 

They take longer to cook than proper chips and it isn't exactly difficult to chip a potato,  it takes seconds!

23 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They take longer to cook than proper chips and it isn't exactly difficult to chip a potato,  it takes seconds!

That is assuming that you have the potatoes!

Life is too short to have to peel vegetables when you have a full freezer ?

Edited by Tim Lewis

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Fish and chips without salt!!! You need taking before the beak and transporting!! 

It's surprising how much you come to dislike added salt when you haven't eaten any for 25 years. At least most decent restaurants no longer overcook their vegetables in brine. 

Freshly milled black pepper, now, there's a vital condiment!

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

But you don't need a chip pan - a valid consideration in confined spaces such as boat galleys.

40 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

That is assuming that you have the potatoes!

Life is too short to have to peel vegetables when you have a full freezer ?

So don't peel them!!

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

But you don't need a chip pan - a valid consideration in confined spaces such as boat galleys.

No you don't. An air fryer is far superior.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I was going to mention that risk too.

Not a risk with an air fryer.

23 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

I love my iceland spiced wedges... put it in airfryer, done in 15 mins..

Or take a potato, cut it onto wedges (don't peel it!), toss in a bowl with some olive oil and salt/pepper/herbs/spices (as you choose) and cook in the airfryer. Takes less than 5 minutes prep, cheaper, healthier, tastes better, not from a frozen bag. What's not to like?

(unless you don't have mains or a big enough inverter...)

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

Just now, IanD said:

Or take a potato, cut it onto wedges, toss in a bowl with some olive oil and salt/pepper/herbs/spices (as you choose) and cook in the airfryer. Takes less than 5 minutes prep, cheaper, healthier, tastes better, not from a frozen bag. What's not to like?

do you not have to semi boil the potatoes first?

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Or take a potato, cut it onto wedges (don't peel it!), toss in a bowl with some olive oil and salt/pepper/herbs/spices (as you choose) and cook in the airfryer. Takes less than 5 minutes prep, cheaper, healthier, tastes better, not from a frozen bag. What's not to like?

We use the same recipe. Roast on a baking tray in the Aga for half an hour!

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

do you not have to semi boil the potatoes first?

No

But not on the boat, where we use the KISS approach to cooking.

No need to boil first -- as said above effect is very similar to cooking in an oven but takes half the time, and uses a lot less energy than heating an oven up. Of course if you have an Aga already hot for heating the heat is "free"... ?

• Greenie 1