Real chips

LadyG

Featured Posts

I love my home made chips, the element of danger from the bubbling hot oil, concentration as one waits for them to cook to desired colour and crispiness, removing individually to kitchen paper, transfer to bowl, add salt and dip in Hellman's. 

mmmmmmmm........................

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I love my iceland spiced wedges... put it in airfryer, done in 15 mins..

I use an air fryer, they are brilliant. But let's not kid ourselves chips are not as good unless deep fried ?

7 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I know, but its a good enough compromise (in taste)... bit healthier and much less hassle.

It is the effort involved that promotes the experience.

I use real potatoes, as nature intended, unwashed.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Nut said:

triple fry all chips otherwise you fail

I don't agree, tried the double fried, but they are just poncy.

I never use that chemical known as Table Salt , Prefer coarse cooking salt, 9p a bag.

When I made cheese at college, we used stuff that resembled road grit in granulation, it made a super truckle cheese .....

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, Nut said:

triple fry all chips otherwise you fail

Your a nut ?

24 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I know, but its a good enough compromise (in taste)... bit healthier and much less hassle.

Yep, they are a good kitchen gimmick that actually do a good job. Proper pork chops in the air fryer are awesome if you can buy em near you. 

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It is the effort involved that promotes the experience.

I use real potatoes, as nature intended, unwashed.

yeah, its the amount of oil in chips am worried about.. plus leftover oil..

btw what do you do with leftover oil, keep it for next time or throw into diesel tank?

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

yeah, its the amount of oil in chips am worried about.. plus leftover oil..

btw what do you do with leftover oil, keep it for next time or throw into diesel tank?

Lard or better still mucky dripping is better than oil for proper chips. No oil used as kids. Too much fat or oil is bad for you. I know this for a fact as my Dad had full English every day and died young aged 90. I have just cooked my mums dinner with a few chips and she is 99 lol. Bet you don't know any 99 year old vegans. Bye the way she eats white bread always with butter and full cream milk ?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lard or better still mucky dripping is better than oil for proper chips. No oil used as kids. Too much fat or oil is bad for you. I know this for a fact as my Dad had full English every day and died young aged 90. I have just cooked my mums dinner with a few chips and she is 99 lol. Bet you don't know any 99 year old vegans. Bye the way she eats white bread always with butter and full cream milk ?

different people have different constitution and activity level.. I doubt your dad was sitting on his fat arse browsing CW while also trying to watch tv. :)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

different people have different constitution and activity level.. I doubt your dad was sitting on his fat arse browsing CW while also trying to watch tv. :)

Very true. It's funny how there were practically no fat people years ago but today there seems to be a gene giving people a propensity to be fat ?

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought the trick was to buy them from near you!

It is. But many people live too far away and think the crap from places like waitrose are pork chops. Spose I could do mail order ?

I like chips. We don't eat out often but when we do I always have chips, in search of the perfect chip.

I have been veggie for 20 years but as we are in Yorkshire I made an exception and tried some local chips cooked in beef fat as everbody says they are the best.

I was seriously disappointing, they didn't even taste like chips, just tasted of low grade meat. The poncy sweet potato fries at the posh pub are much better.

..............Dave

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Until mum was told how unhealthy beef dripping was all our chips were cooked proper, I still remember the pan solid with dripping with the basket solid within it

That brings back memories & there were always crispy bits sat in the solid fat in the pan !

12 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Bog standard McCain oven chips bought in the biggest bag available

Aldi crinkle cut are more to my taste. McCain are overpriced (as are most branded and heavily advertised food products).

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Since I haven't got that particular set of genes I'll carry on with oven chips, wholemeal bread and not adding salt to my food (ever).

Edited by Machpoint005
lost an 'e'