Another Red Diesel Threat

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

..... if marinas are allowed to self declare white diesel the market for it will be large very large 

Only if large numbers of its customers are dishonest ..... and only if the cost saving is worth the trouble .

I recent times marina diesel at the 60/40 split hasn't been greatly cheaper than supermarket diesel. HMRC only have to adjust the duty split a little and the prices supermarket/marina  will be about equal.

If the pump prices are much the same people would have no incentive to be dishonest.

In any case the first deliveries of white will be tainted red immediately  so dishonest people will put that in a car at their own risk as they might now.

I don't think the pay and claim back idea  will work. People could make false claims about that too.

Better insist any fuel sold at reduced duty goes in a boat tank and not into a jerry can. 

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Only if large numbers of its customers are dishonest ..... and only if the cost saving is worth the trouble .

I recent times marina diesel at the 60/40 split hasn't been greatly cheaper than supermarket diesel. HMRC only have to adjust the duty split a little and the prices supermarket/marina  will be about equal.

If the pump prices are much the same people would have no incentive to be dishonest.

In any case the first deliveries of white will be tainted red immediately  so dishonest people will put that in a car at their own risk as they might now.

I don't think the pay and claim back idea  will work. People could make false claims about that too.

Better insist any fuel sold at reduced duty goes in a boat tank and not into a jerry can. 

They already put red in their tank so it won't bother them in the slightest! Anyway let's see what happens but I suspect no self declaration and claiming it back by proof of purchase and boat ownership is the way they will go

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They already put red in their tank so it won't bother them in the slightest! Anyway let's see what happens but I suspect no self declaration and claiming it back by proof of purchase and boat ownership is the way they will go

Me too.  I also expect they will make it fiddly enough to do that most people won't bother for the sake of about 20p per hour of engine time on a boat they use for 2 weeks a year.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And a lot of tarmacadam engineers who buy in by the van load in 25Lt containers 

Who won't in the future be "legally" allowed to use it.  Who does what will of course be open to discussion but I very much doubt the "live and let live" attitude being currently applied by HMRC to boaters, will be extended to cover ALL former users of red in the future.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many of the local 'petrol' stations around us sell 'Red Diesel'.

One enterprising garage has put on a much extended delivery hose that reaches from the roadside pump all the way down the bank to the River.

His sales to boats are ancillary to, and in addition to, his roadside sales.

Red is history. Claim back is the new world.

54 minutes ago, MartynG said:

For what purpose?

"Agricultural"

To be able to buy 'quantity' of Red diesel (Gas Oil) you need to make a declaration (& get listed on a central register that the Oil suppliers can refer to) to ensure that you are legally allowed to buy Gas Oil.

I registered many years ago as an 'Agricultural' user.

You need to complete an sign an RDCO form (example)

https://www.crownoil.co.uk/rdco-eform/

As a 'small' user on a boat buying "a couple of hundred litres" from a registered dealer the only declaration you are (currently) required to make is the 'split'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I have a dislike of wishy washy unenforceable laws, they erode the lawmaking and enforcing process and I fear that this fuel regulation will be another one.

Besides, were we all not happy with the status quo? But you cannot vote to keep the status quo, there has to be change. 

[I like the 3 chords music ]