Another Red Diesel Threat

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

It would also be interesing to see how much CO2 is produced at a power station required to propel an EV the same distance as a gallon of petrol/diesel.

53 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

So on that basis how much CO2 is produced the other 50% of the time ? What about if there's no wind or the sun doesn't shine?   

From this year cars that produce above 95 grams of CO2 per KM traveled will have to pay a hefty fine.

When asking the question about how much better an EV is than a ICE car in emissions you also have to add in the emissions for making the diesel/petrol to make the answer fair.

I dont think wind ever stops? if it did we would be in serious do dah in this country because I dont think the rest of the system could take up the slack!! Offshore wind is very reliable though

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

Of course nobody wants a nuclear power station anywhere near them and some areas that are stable enough for them are unsuitable for other reasons (cornwall is a good example where the background radiation from the granite is above the safety limit for a nuclear power station)

I have always believed that Battersea was a perfect location for conversion to a nuclear power station and only a short distance to transmit the power.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

When asking the question about how much better an EV is than a ICE car in emissions you also have to add in the emissions for making the diesel/petrol to make the answer fair.

The same criteria should therefore also apply to the emissions produced in making and charging EV batteries, Only then we would see the true picture.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

I have always believed that Battersea was a perfect location for conversion to a nuclear power station and only a short distance to transmit the power.

and they could use all those underground tubes which produce particulates to store low grade waste.

Free e- scooters at car parks on the M25 canal.

Dangerous waste sent to China to control genetic drift.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Of COURSE it does. I might read something I didn't want to read, but the only way to find out is to read it. Its an eternal conundrum to which there is no answer, and your trite comment about not reading something you don't want to read is a logical inconsistency.

I spend a lot of time trying to see if the light goes out when I shut the fridge door too. 

Boris Johnson should be able to give you the answer to that one.

Keith

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

He considers himself above giving answers to anything that matters, hadn't you noticed?

I seem to remember Jeremy was good at not answring questions on the run up to the general election.

19 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

We are out, Brexit exists, it's done and dusted one way or another, so pretty please can we all stop the infighting and bickering and not mention Brexit again ?

Phil

Insert tongue into cheek:

Nah, it's back to the fore with Brexit as I see it, Covid-19 is a supporter of remain as I understand it...

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

The same criteria should therefore also apply to the emissions produced in making and charging EV batteries, Only then we would see the true picture.

Agreed, the true picture would be interesting. I mean it would still show how horrible ICE is compared to BEV, but I'd be interested to see it anyway. You got a link?

5 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If I am correct, (and I probably am not), cars may not have been improving in efficiency over the years, as well as us buying less efficient types of cars.

I used to work on test engines for Daimler / Delphi Diesel, this is the case. Basically as NOx attracted attention this resulted in lower cylinder temps which meant poorer mpg performance. Then emission control got so tight that manufacturers were forced down the route of exhaust gas after treatment. SCR injectors now feature on cars and have done for a while I think (I've since moved in to aerospace).

SUVs are typically classed as pickup truck kind of vehicles so I think they have different rules applied to them for emissions and for pedestrian safety. 

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

If you start from fossil fuels and compare burning them directly in diesel/petrol engines to using them to generate power, distribute it, charge BEV batteries, and then drive the BEV, the overall energy usage and C02 emissions of BEV are about half that of IC vehicles, allowing for all the losses in the "well-to-wheel" process -- there's plenty of proper analysis out there which shows this, go and look -- here are some:

https://matter2energy.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/wells-to-wheels-electric-car-efficiency/

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/19/electric-car-well-to-wheel-emissions-myth/

Batteries for EV do take significant energy to manufacture, but then so do the engines/gearboxes in a normal car, there's a lot more metal and machining/components involved. In either case the CO2 cost of this is swamped by the emissions generated in driving over the lifetime of the vehicle -- again, there's plenty of proper evidence for this as opposed to handwaving "batteries are bad" comments, go and search the web... ?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 3

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you start from fossil fuels and compare burning them directly in diesel/petrol engines to using them to generate power, distribute it, charge BEV batteries, and then drive the BEV, the overall energy usage and C02 emissions of BEV are about half that of IC vehicles, allowing for all the losses in the "well-to-wheel" process -- there's plenty of proper analysis out there which shows this, go and look -- here are some:

https://matter2energy.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/wells-to-wheels-electric-car-efficiency/

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/19/electric-car-well-to-wheel-emissions-myth/

Batteries for EV do take significant energy to manufacture, but then so do the engines/gearboxes in a normal car, there's a lot more metal and machining/components involved. In either case the CO2 cost of this is swamped by the emissions generated in driving over the lifetime of the vehicle -- again, there's plenty of proper evidence for this as opposed to handwaving "batteries are bad" comments, go and search the web... ?

Where did I say batteries are bad?  All I'm saying is that unless all the CO2 emissions and carbon footprints are compared you don't get the full picture. There are plenty of self styled experts on this forum that only give one side of the story to suit their own biased views.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Where did I say batteries are bad?  All I'm saying is that unless all the CO2 emissions and carbon footprints are compared you don't get the full picture. There are plenty of self styled experts on this forum that only give one side of the story to suit their own biased views.

While you may not have said it explicitly, your opinions come across against BEV tech. When actually it's by far the best alternative to ICE that we currently have. 

I think IanD has supplied a pretty full picture in the post you quoted. So now they are compared we can clearly see that BEV is the technology that should and will be adopted. 

I'm sure better technology will come along int he future to replace BEV, but that's in the future

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

That reads like you mean all cars... but I don't think it does?

All new cars phased in over 2 years, I think it's new models first and then older ones that are still in production, giving them time to modify the older models

6 hours ago, peterboat said:

I dont think wind ever stops? if it did we would be in serious do dah in this country because I dont think the rest of the system could take up the slack!! Offshore wind is very reliable though

It must do otherwise they wouldn't have to have diesel generator backup.   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362762/The-dirty-secret-Britains-power-madness-Polluting-diesel-generators-built-secret-foreign-companies-kick-theres-wind-turbines--insane-true-eco-scandals.html

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

All new cars phased in over 2 years, I think it's new models first and then older ones that are still in production, giving them time to modify the older models

So nothing for us to worry about... a problem for the manufacturers, and not us mere mortals.....