Another Red Diesel Threat

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Are you suggesting that the OP shouldn't have posted in this section......... he mentioned the budget which is one of the most political things that happens each year.

If you are not suggesting that, then where should the line be drawn? Surely if a door is opened, some will walk through it :) 

Should it be posted on the politics section then rather than general boating?

30 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

This has been suggested. But if I understand correctly, if it was moved to the Political section, then it would not show up on our lists of new content to be viewed, so many members would not see the thread. As red diesel duty is a subject of interest and concern to most canal boaters, that would be a pity.

Obviously, the taxation of red diesel has a political aspect, as do many other facets of boating. But it is primarily a topic of general boating, rather than political, interest.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

That had been my suggestion, however the Mod in question disagreed. 

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

As red diesel duty is a subject of interest and concern to most canal boaters...

So is Brexit. So is the future of the EU. So is who is governing our country...

• Greenie 1

As diesel is what pushes the vast majority of boats around the system I’d say general boating was the idea place....if you don’t want to read it you can just scroll past...it’s not tricky...I’m sure some boater has posted a YouTube video on how to use the forum...there’s a video for every  other simple task....

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, frangar said:

if you don’t want to read it you can just scroll past...it’s not tricky...

Well aren't you are the gifted one?

I have to read a post in order to find out if I wanted to read it or not. You obviously have a different method. Do tell! 

:giggles:

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well aren't you are the gifted one?

I have to read a post in order to find out if I wanted to read it or not. You obviously have a different method. Do tell! 

:giggles:

If you read everything then it doesn’t matter to you where it’s posted either does it?? 

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

If you read everything then it doesn’t matter to you where it’s posted either does it?? 

Of COURSE it does. I might read something I didn't want to read, but the only way to find out is to read it. Its an eternal conundrum to which there is no answer, and your trite comment about not reading something you don't want to read is a logical inconsistency.

I spend a lot of time trying to see if the light goes out when I shut the fridge door too. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Of COURSE it does. I might read something I didn't want to read, but the only way to find out is to read it. Its an eternal conundrum to which there is no answer, and your trite comment about not reading something you don't want to read is a logical inconsistency.

I spend a lot of time trying to see if the light goes out when I shut the fridge door too. 

I think you are in grave danger of disappearing up your own a*se.....

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Not really for you to tell me, or furness, or anyone else, what to discuss or what not to discuss, is it!! Having said that, I notice you were happy to join in with a greenie so, perhaps, people in glass houses and all that eh?

We are actually talking about the consequences of Brexit, one of which seems to be that one of the few complaints that people here had, regarding the EU, (for the sake of good order - that is the subject of the OP), is not going to be changed.... I merely pointed out a couple of others, and furness brought up unnecessary EU regulations.

Unfortunately I think we are going to be talking about Brexit for a long time Phil. We are merely in a transition period, (had you not noticed :) ), and the initial outcome wont actually be put into place until the start of next year. Even after that, I dont see why we shouldnt talk about the consequences, good or bad... hopefully good :) 

I was not TELLING you or anybody  what to discuss  but merely requesting,  

Phil

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I'm not sure why you are asking me. I'm not bothered either way. I think it is inevitable that, from time to time, things posted outside the political section will have some kind of political element. I'm sure the mods will guide posters, or even move threads, as appropriate.

4 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Hence the drive to the elimination of the ICE.

I would have thought that, all other things being equal, there would be a close correlation between mpg and CO2. i.e. burning a gallon of petrol creates a certain amount of CO2.

If I am correct, (and I probably am not), cars may not have been improving in efficiency over the years, as well as us buying less efficient types of cars.

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Hence the drive to the elimination of the ICE.

I would have thought that, all other things being equal, there would be a close correlation between mpg and CO2. i.e. burning a gallon of petrol creates a certain amount of CO2.

If I am correct, (and I probably am not), cars may not have been improving in efficiency over the years, as well as us buying less efficient types of cars.

It would also be interesing to see how much CO2 is produced at a power station required to propel an EV the same distance as a gallon of petrol/diesel.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

It would also be interesing to see how much CO2 is produced at a power station required to propel an EV the same distance as a gallon of petrol/diesel.

But the answer you will get is that 50%+ is now produced by windymills or solar and the percentage is increasing every day, so soon, the answer will be 'no CO2 is produced' making leccy for EVs

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But the answer you will get is that 50%+ is now produced by windymills or solar and the percentage is increasing every day, so soon, the answer will be 'no CO2 is produced' making leccy for EVs

Wonder what they will do with the nuclear waste? That seems to be an issue that is well and truly in the long grass........

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So on that basis how much CO2 is produced the other 50% of the time ? What about if there's no wind or the sun doesn't shine?   

17 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Wonder what they will do with the nuclear waste? That seems to be an issue that is well and truly in the long grass........

from memory of reading up on newer designs a few years back newer reactors burn far more of the fuel leaving a lot less (as in 90%+ less) to deal with and also due to their design could be fueled using spent fuel rods from older reactors.

The problem we have with the currently active generation of nuclear reactors is that they run relatively cool so that they produce power and material suitable for weapons.

Of course nobody wants a nuclear power station anywhere near them and some areas that are stable enough for them are unsuitable for other reasons (cornwall is a good example where the background radiation from the granite is above the safety limit for a nuclear power station)

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And people mocked Boris for going inside that fridge during the election campaign.  I bet he knows if the light goes off when you close the door.

• Love 1