Another Red Diesel Threat

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Yes, we had a similar, though different brand of, heater in the hall when we lived in a non-centrally heated house. It later became Dad's winter greenhouse heater in which capacity it served until the beginning of this century.

But are such heaters, and such paraffin, still sold?

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

But are such heaters, and such paraffin, still sold?

Paraffin certainly is (bought some recently for a camping stove) but its bloomin expensive

I think I paid about £10 for 5 litres (at the garage) its a lot  more on ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Paraffin-Class-1-5-Litre-5L/371802213496?hash=item5691238c78:g:o38AAOSwtLNcxweP

15 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I have it in my head that paraffin is the same as aviation fuel. Am I completely wrong?

Yes

Light aircraft use 'AvGas' which is basically 5* petrol.

Big jets use JetA1 which is an unleaded kerosene (a low grade modified version of paraffin)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes

Light aircraft use 'AvGas' which is basically 5* petrol.

Big jets use JetA1 which is an unleaded kerosene (a low grade modified version of paraffin)

And when the demand for aviation kerosene falls, a lot gets treated for heating kerosene. Plays havoc with Aga's andRayburns

9 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

And when the demand for aviation kerosene falls, a lot gets treated for heating kerosene. Plays havoc with Aga's andRayburns

I wondered why my last delivery of heating oil smelt funny...

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For heating we used to have the old 'Valor' paraffin heaters in the bedrooms (open coal fire in the lounge).

We'd take our 'Blue' can to the Jet petrol station and fill it up.

One like this (stock photos)

Image result for valor paraffin heater

Image result for esso blue can

“They asked me how I knew  ...

I was seriously thinking of taking out the Alde that we never use and fitting a diesel heater. We are getting older and a zero degrees back cabin is not quite as much fun as it used to be.

However have just worked it out again and if we have to run on full price road diesel the price differential between gas and diesel heating is getting quite small.

................Dave

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

There is an article in today’s Times suggesting that the The budget will announce a ban on all use of red diesel except in agriculture!

Also talk of duty increases on petrol and road diesel.

Given the general apathy regarding the signing of petitions by boaters I assume most boaters are happy to accept they will be using white diesel at significantly greater cost compared to red. Unfortunately it may mean moving a boat under its own engine power will become  too pricey  for some people.

Bearing in mind that boating is in fact a non-essential activity that might be a positive factor in some ways. 

Discouraging people from wasting natural resources just to make big waves and noise could be a very sensible plan. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

Bearing in mind that boating is in fact a non-essential activity that might be a positive factor in some ways. 

Discouraging people from wasting natural resources just to make big waves and noise could be a very sensible plan. 

Would you perhaps wish for all non essential activities  to be a discouraged   ?  

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

Flying abroad isn’t really a necessity....I think banning that would be a very sensible plan first. 

• Greenie 2